Arum says MMA fans are skinheads and the fighters are gay

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 17, 2004
pretty funny.

He's back. Now that boxing promoter Bob Arum won't speak with Cagewriter, it's been a while since someone has pressed him on the increasing element of competition from MMA. Ariel Helwani from AOL Fanhouse attended the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto press conference in Yankee Stadium and when asked a question about the head-to-head pay-per-view battle coming next Saturday, Arum went off:

"UFC fans are a bunch of skinhead white guys who are watching a bunch of people in the ring who look like skinhead white guys," said Arum, 78, who for some reason mentioned his theory that 90-percent of the MMA fanbase also has tattoos. "Those aren't people who would have any interest in boxing. The only one they want to see if Kelly Pavlik."

Arum then said boxing fans like him think MMA is horrible:

"[It's] guys rolling around like homosexuals on the ground. It is not a sport that shows great, great talent. The guys can't throw a punch to save their ass. When it lands, the guys have no chins."

Arum closed by claiming UFC 100 did less than one million pay-per-view buys in spite of the fact that it was reported by several outlets that it did 1.8 million.

Arum isn't an evil guy but is anyone starting to think he's coming off a bit Al Davis-like? This is also the same guy who was willing to fight to the hilt for loaded-glove user Antonio Margarito, in spite of the fact that he may have used them against one of Arum's other big bread winners, Miguel Cotto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE_tsPatoBU&feature=player_embedded

not sure how to embed videos if anybody wants to do it.

May 4, 2007
www.myspace.com
well there are alot of mma guys that dont throw good punches. usually a bunch of wild roundhouse stuff. as far as the "glass chin" thing, lets see his favorite boxer take a punch with a...... what are they 4 oz gloves? i like 2 watch mma mostly chute box and jiujitsu guys. most entertaing and talented i think. i hate 2 see matches stay on the ground 2 a draw. maybe they should do a mma vs pro boxer promo. i think in alot of cases the boxer would win. i just cant see any1 standin up with a guy like paquiao wearin those lil gloves!

Feb 12, 2004
It's funny he says that mexicans, filipinos, etc. all tune in to watch boxing but when me and my boys get together to watch UFC events its a bunch of latin guys, white guys and a couple filipinos.

May 6, 2009
It's funny he says that mexicans, filipinos, etc. all tune in to watch boxing but when me and my boys get together to watch UFC events its a bunch of latin guys, white guys and a couple filipinos.
I agree. I see just as many hispanic and asians who are into UFC, as I do white guys. Not to mention, I know plenty of black people who watch it. Weak, and downright false statement by people who say otherwise.

Dec 25, 2003
Ive seen boxing, and Ive seen MMA.

Regardless of the tattoos, theme songs, intros, all that bullshit, MMA is just more interesting to me

But I dont fault any boxing promoter for taking shots at MMA - they have to, and especially since MMA is fronted by gay ass Dana White

Apr 27, 2005
i think in alot of cases the boxer would win. i just cant see any1 standin up with a guy like paquiao wearin those lil gloves!
A boxer would most likely NOT win in an MMA fight against an MMA fighter. The odds would be heavily against the boxer. If the boxer got taken to the ground it would be over. Now a Boxer fighting an MMA fighter in a boxing match is a different story

Jan 12, 2006
Boxing>MMA

The only two that get props are silva and fedor for the fact that they actually got top skill and are elite with their groung game and also have some of the best hands I've ever seen. The rest of the morons come out swinging like its a fucken bar fight. And lol @ only going 3 rounds, try going 12!

Jan 12, 2006
Boxing>MMA

The only two that get props are silva and fedor for the fact that they actually got top skill and are elite with their groung game and also have some of the best hands I've ever seen. The rest of the morons come out swinging like its a fucken bar fight. And lol @ only going 3 rounds, try going 12!

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Boxing>MMA

Royce Gracie vs. Sakuraba was an hour and a half long fight. Try going six 15 minute rounds!

Also there's some pretty good boxers besides Anderson and Fedor. Freddie Roach said BJ could go pro if he wanted to. Cro Cop had something like a 45-5 record before he switched to kickboxing. Marcus Davis was 17-1 before he started MMA. Vitor 3-knockdown TKO'd a guy in under a minute in his only fight.

May 27, 2009
Boxing>MMA

Meh, who wants to watch 12 rounds of two dudes dancing around, occasionally throwing a combo, then hugging until the ref separates them? To me it's just boring. I understand the boxers are skilled at what they do, but to me they're as exciting as someone very skilled at knitting. I can respect the skill but have no desire to watch either exercise that skill.

Yes the stand up looks different in MMA than in boxing. The fighters have to defend against kicks and take downs. Not to mention that they don't have 2 giant pillows on their hands to hide behind for defense.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.