artest suspended for the rest of the season

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 7, 2004
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6531512

Placer County sheriff's authorities said the woman reported she and Artest were arguing inside the home Monday morning when he pushed her. The argument moved outside when Artest tried to leave in his Hummer, sheriff's Sgt. Andrew Scott said during a news conference.
"It resulted in some pushing," Scott said of the argument. "Mr. Artest had shoved the victim to the floor several times, then he attempted to leave."

The woman threw a pot at the Hummer, shattering its windshield, Scott said. He would not disclose the woman's relationship with Artest but said a 3-year-old girl was inside the house during the incident.

Deputies arrived around 9:30 a.m. at Artest's five-acre estate in the Sacramento suburb of Loomis and arrested him on suspicion of domestic violence, sheriff's spokeswoman Dena Erwin said. He also was arrested on suspicion of using force or violence to prevent the woman from reporting a crime.

"He was very cooperative," Scott said of Artest, found sitting calmly outside the home. "He gave no problems to any of the officers on scene."

Artest, the central figure of the infamous 2004 brawl between Indiana Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans, was booked into the Placer County Jail and released later on $50,000 bail. His arraignment is scheduled for March 22.

Sheriff's deputies have been called to Artest's home at least once before, but there were no arrests, Erwin said.

Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, said the team was removing Artest from the team, pending a full investigation.

"The Kings have excused Ron Artest indefinitely from any further participation with the team due to his arrest today for domestic violence," Petrie said in a statement.

Team spokesman Troy Hanson told The Associated Press that Artest had not been suspended and still was being paid.

An emergency protective order obtained by sheriff's officials prevents Artest from returning to his home or contacting the woman until she can obtain a restraining order. Scott said this was normal procedure.

Sheriff's officials said the woman had injuries but would not describe them. She declined medical treatment.

Artest, who joined the Kings from the Indiana Pacers in January 2006, has had previous run-ins with police.

He was at the center of the Nov. 19, 2004 brawl between Pacers players and Pistons fans at The Palace in Detroit. Just when a confrontation between players seemed to be over, Artest, lying on the scorer's table, was hit with a cup filled with an icy beverage. He bolted into the stands in a rage, followed by fist-swinging teammate Stephen Jackson. Artest and teammate Jermaine O'Neal later slugged fans on the court.

Two days later, Artest was suspended for the rest of the season - 73 games, plus the playoffs - in a move that cost him almost $5 million.

Artest and Jackson were sentenced to one year of probation and 60 hours of community service after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault charges. In January, Artest was released from that probation.

Artest has spent nearly 14 months with Sacramento since the Kings acquired him in a blockbuster trade for fan favorite Peja Stojakovic. His short tenure is following a familiar script for the volatile former St. John's star: Initial excitement and outstanding play, followed by disinterest, distractions - and now, more legal trouble.

Last month, county animal control officers seized Artest's Great Dane, Socks, from his home in a gated community about 25 miles northeast of Sacramento. They said the animal wasn't being fed.

Last season, Artest guaranteed the then-struggling Kings would make the playoffs shortly after he arrived, and they surged to the No. 8 seed and an impressive performance in a first-round loss to San Antonio.

Artest's dogged defense and passion fit in well with Sacramento's devoted fans, who adopted him as a community favorite.

This season hasn't been as easy for Artest, who's averaging 18.7 points and 6.6 rebounds while the Kings struggle at 27-32. Sacramento, which hosts Artest's former Indiana teammates on Tuesday night, has battled poor team chemistry and inconsistent play under new coach Eric Musselman.

Though Artest had been a model teammate in his abbreviated first season, he sparked controversy two months ago by indirectly criticizing Mike Bibby's defense. Artest also missed a handful of games with a knee injury that came as news to the Kings - and last month, he sat out of the Kings' visit to Indiana for undisclosed personal reasons.

The Kings were rumored to be exploring trades for Artest but didn't make a deal at last month's trade deadline.

Sacramento has won its last three games, with Artest playing well in road victories over Portland and the Los Angeles Lakers — after shaving the word "Kings" into the back of his head.

May 15, 2002
theYOCarea said:
Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, said the team was removing Artest from the team, pending a full investigation.

Team spokesman Troy Hanson told The Associated Press that Artest had not been suspended and still was being paid.
seriously...read the article before you make these statements saying he's been suspended for the season.

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
Damn, Sol, how do you really feel? I look at it the other way...NO MATTER WHAT SHE DID, he is a fuckin pulic figure and a role model and should have the good fuckin sense to keep his motherfucking hands off of a woman.

Jun 1, 2002
Dana Dane said:
Damn, Sol, how do you really feel? I look at it the other way...NO MATTER WHAT SHE DID, he is a fuckin pulic figure and a role model and should have the good fuckin sense to keep his motherfucking hands off of a woman.
I JUST TOLD YOU HOW I REALLY FEEL. HE'S A HUMAN BEING FIRST DANA, PUBLIC FIGURE, SECOND. THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN IN LIFE. IT'S NOT AS BLACK AND WHITE AS YOU PUT IT.

YOU GOT YOUR VIEW AND I GOT MINE.

Oct 19, 2004
SOUTHEAST DAGO
Artest is in the NBA getting a grip of money to play a sport to make his living that a lot of us would play for free and his does dumb asss shit like this.The guy needs to get his priorities strait homie he's fuckin up in a major way

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
Solitary 1 said:
I JUST TOLD YOU HOW I REALLY FEEL. HE'S A HUMAN BEING FIRST DANA, PUBLIC FIGURE, SECOND. THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN IN LIFE. IT'S NOT AS BLACK AND WHITE AS YOU PUT IT.

YOU GOT YOUR VIEW AND I GOT MINE.
solitary, i what youre saying and i also can see what dana is saying. as far as the suspension goes, we probably dont even know half of whats going on here, no to mention the other things this fool probably does that the media wont report. we will never know the whole story, but from the looks of what has come out, this fool seems to be up to no good.

Mar 18, 2006
Ron Artest needs god and thats 4real....I support Ron Ron, and truth is, I dont think hes probably that bad of a dude....he seems to be a target of a lot of demons in his life and thats really too bad. Hopefully he'll see the light and make the right choices in his life.

Mar 8, 2007
"Kings Say Artest Can Play Despite Arrest"

(AP) SACRAMENTO The Sacramento Kings said Saturday they will allow Ron Artest to return to the team, five days after his arrest on suspicion of domestic violence.

The Kings called a news conference for Saturday afternoon to discuss the return of the controversial forward after missing two games. Sacramento hosts the Denver Nuggets on Sunday.

Artest was excused from all team activities Tuesday, one day after being arrested at his home in a Sacramento suburb. A woman called 911 and said she had been assaulted, and a police report said Artest had slapped the woman's face and grabbed her repeatedly, causing visible injuries on her hand and leg.

Artest was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence and using force or violence to prevent the woman from reporting a crime. He was released from custody after posting a $50,000 bond and is awaiting a March 22 arraignment.

Sacramento beat the Indiana Pacers and lost to the San Antonio Spurs in two home games since Artest was banished. The Kings began the weekend just one game behind the Los Angeles Clippers for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

Artest, acquired 14 months ago in a trade with Indiana, is the Kings' second-leading scorer. He averages 18.7 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists.

Artest is best known as the central figure in the 2004 brawl between Indiana Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans. After jumping into the stands to slug it out with the public, he received a 73-game suspension for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs, costing him almost $5 million in salary.

Artest and teammate Stephen Jackson were sentenced to one year of probation and 60 hours of community service after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault charges. In January, Artest was released from that probation.