Are there two factions in the south?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 17, 2006
Are there two factions in southern hip hop? South east vs. South west? Specifically Houston and Atlanta? Would someone like Chamillionaire link himself to T.I. just by region? Because Houston seems to have different production than Atlanta. To me it doesn't seem like a guy like Chamillionaire or Slim Thug are all that "crunk," compared to Atlanta which is all almost crunk. I don't know, what do you all from the south believe?

May 21, 2002
Texas is almost a world of its own, its rap scene is something different, but everywhere is different, like new orleans had / has the bounce, memphis started that crunk shit, its like sac and bay and l.a. they all west coast but they all have different approaches. thats whats so amazing about rap and how its born out of its enviroment

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Ulysses said:
Are there two factions in southern hip hop? South east vs. South west? Specifically Houston and Atlanta? Would someone like Chamillionaire link himself to T.I. just by region? Because Houston seems to have different production than Atlanta. To me it doesn't seem like a guy like Chamillionaire or Slim Thug are all that "crunk," compared to Atlanta which is all almost crunk. I don't know, what do you all from the south believe?
I don't think it can be just divided into two parts, every state and city has its own sound, Texas, Louisiana, Memphis and Georgia all have their unique style

even the crunk in Memphis in ATL is different and N.O. doesn't sound like Baton Rouge; moreover GA has at least three different styles now - snap, trap and crunk

May 27, 2006
ThaG said:
back in 97 ATL was still making bass music while in Memphis 36 and others were already making crunk
i think thats basically right
but also 90s rap outta atl has some tracks that made a huge impact to what today s called crunk it seems to me

crazy craze, old untouchables stuff and so on

May 27, 2006
old squeek dawg shit (till 98) for me isnt that much crunk
maybe old dj sound stuff with them screwed hooks but also not that really

destruction terror from three 6 (1997) thats early m-town crunk style 4 me

Jun 18, 2006
Lambo Ryda said:
crazy craze: knees and boes (1999)

atl 90s crunk
HAhahaha... you call an album from 99 "atl 90s crunk"?...LOL... mane that shit goes with the 2000s.

But on the real, ATL was on that my boo shawty swing my way booty bass shit before Memphis niggas started going down there and doing shows. When 3-6 went nationwide with Tear Da Club Up in '97, that's when ATL music started changing.... them niggas loved that shit, they went nuts over 3-6.

ATL just starting "throwin bows" in 99 -- Memphis been gangsta walkin, buck-jumpin, bussin heads and tearing clubs up since '88... that shit aint new to Memphis.

And no, 3-6 did not originate the Memphis sound... they were just one of the best at it (and had the most business sense).

Apr 20, 2005
Back to the original question

there are more than two factions in the south.

Tennessee
Georgia
Texas
Louisiana
Alabama
Florida
Mississippi

The south is so big. All them states have atleast 1 famous artist. Alabama got that duo called Dirty. I'm not sure how popular they r though.