anyone got that G-Funk Lead Dr. Dre used back n da days ??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 12, 2002
Very easy to program in almost any synth. Just use a saw oscillator or two (slightly detuned). A small attack and release on the amplifier envelope. Have the sustain be 100% for both the amplifier and filter envelopes. Set the resonance low and the filter cutoff at about 75% with the envelope amount for filter set to 0. Set mono & legato mode and put glide on. You can also set an lfo to modulate the pitch at about 6Hz, triggered by the modulation wheel.

It's really not as complex as that may sound if you've never programmed a synth before. By setting the sustain on the two envelopes to 100%, you don't want the volume or timbre to change over time. The other key things are the Sawtooth waveform for the oscillator and the glide (makes the pitch gradually change from one note to another).

-=bumpus=-

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
there is a patch called gangsta funk oin the 1001 malstrom patches refil on the propellarheads site if you are a regigtered user. Its a real high pitched sound like on the murder was the case beat from doggy style.

May 1, 2003
bumpus said:
Very easy to program in almost any synth. Just use a saw oscillator or two (slightly detuned). A small attack and release on the amplifier envelope. Have the sustain be 100% for both the amplifier and filter envelopes. Set the resonance low and the filter cutoff at about 75% with the envelope amount for filter set to 0. Set mono & legato mode and put glide on. You can also set an lfo to modulate the pitch at about 6Hz, triggered by the modulation wheel.

It's really not as complex as that may sound if you've never programmed a synth before. By setting the sustain on the two envelopes to 100%, you don't want the volume or timbre to change over time. The other key things are the Sawtooth waveform for the oscillator and the glide (makes the pitch gradually change from one note to another).

-=bumpus=-
nice tip...thanks! gonna try this when I get off work!

Jan 13, 2003
bumpus said:

-=bumpus=-
well done homie, thanx...anyway do you know how i make this sound "soft", so i don't hear that little "beat" in the beginning ? peace

May 1, 2003
Don_Carlo said:
well done homie, thanx...anyway do you know how i make this sound "soft", so i don't hear that little "beat" in the beginning ? peace
are you talking about that little popping sound at the beginning of the note when you press a key.?I had that problem a while ago too...try to slightly adjust some of the settings you made on your filters I adusted the cutoff on something I was doing and that got rid of it...why that would affect the beginning of the note I don't know...maybe I'm wrong...coulda been my resonance knob , it's right next to my cutoff. save it as is for now ...then start messin around wit the settings again.

Aug 12, 2002
Don_Carlo said:
Not sure what you mean by the 'beat'. Maybe you're refering to a clicking sound when the note first starts? If that's the case, increase the attack time on the amplitude envelope.

To get a softer sounding lead, either change the oscillators to sine waveform or (if your synth doesn't have sine waveform) triangle or square wave and set the filter cutoff at about 15-20%. Everything else should stay the same.

These parameters are not exact by any means, but they should get you into the ball park and should sound familiar. From there, you can experiment with changing some of the parameters to get exactly what you want.

Welcome to basic synth programming... Something every musician and producer should be well versed in...

-=bumpus=-

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
FILA|AUS said:
can someone explain to me what these Reason patches are and if we can use them in other programs, for example can I just load it into my sampler?
no you can only use Reason patches IN Reason.... same goes for other soft-synths I think too.... the NN-XT in Reason 2.5 on the other hand can use diiferent types of patches, like SF2 files...