Anyone do automotive body work as a profession?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 5, 2005
I will be taking classes at a community college for body work on cars. But I would like to hear your experience and enjoyment on fixing and repairing cars. I want to do custom fabrications and paint jobs mostly on older cars.

So how many of you cats on here have this profession and how did you get into it? What is your salary and do you like what you are doing?

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Well the good news is, if you ever get locked up you will always have a job when you get out. Real talk.

I don't do body work, but I have a bunch of boys that work on cars and they love the shit. Most of them have dads that did body work so they got into it as little kids and just decided to stick with it, and they make some good money with their experience.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
I went to school for auto technology, not bodywork, but the people I knew that did it and went to school for it, or something similar, either loved it or absolutely hated it...Anything with cars you have to be sure thats what your going to want to be doing...

Apr 5, 2005
I'm tired of this bullshit office job. Ive been here for 3 years and now I finally hate it. Less and less work is coming in since theyve launched this automated system which benefits our clients. What makes it worse? Everyone at this point is expendable since they laid off 1000 people over the summer.

So I'm trying to get into body work since I have the perfect car for it and I do enjoy working with my hands. I always like to finish something Ive started. Therefore, I will be taking 2 classes at a community college to see if I would really enjoy it or not.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
i got a friend that does it and thats all he do. charges anywhere from a couple to 10+ racks to redo oldschools. he a master at it but takes FOREVER.

like n9netoofyfe said, you got to love it though. bodywork is an art

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
i got a friend that does it and thats all he do. charges anywhere from a couple to 10+ racks to redo oldschools. he a master at it but takes FOREVER.

like n9netoofyfe said, you got to love it though. bodywork is an art

I can digg that....I've done detailing before and I feel that bodywork and mechanics are the last thing a nigga need to start flippin cars all by himself.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
I can digg that....I've done detailing before and I feel that bodywork and mechanics are the last thing a nigga need to start flippin cars all by himself.
My dad owned a body shop for a while, hasn't done it professionally in like 15+ years, but he is always looking for cars on the side that need work. With craigslist it is even easier to flip cars for a profit as long as you get a good deal on one that needs body work and because they can be wrecked without having a salvaged title. He would also go into the salvage auctions before, where the insurance companies sell cars and you could get some really good deals. You would be surprised at how little damage it takes to total out a car sometimes.

He didn't want me or my brother to get into automotive stuff and give up on education so he didn't teach us much until we had our own cars and made sure we we knew the importance of going to college. But I still wish I knew body work it is an art and you need to have an eye for it to be really good.