Am I Supposed to be mad about Lebron?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
By Jason Whitlock

Would someone please write a handbook? "What Will and Won't Piss Black Folk Smooth the **** Off" would be an international bestseller.

I'm black, and I'm pissed off most of the time, but I wouldn't leave home without the handbook. Not in these racist-ly confusing times. I can barely keep up with when I'm supposed to be disappointed as opposed to offended as opposed to being pissed smooth the **** off.

Right now I need to know where this LeBron James-Gisele Bundchen-Vogue-cover controversy falls. And just who am I supposed to be mad at, LeBron, the photographer, the editors at Vogue or Tom Brady?

Maybe they're all to blame. Maybe that's the point of this whole mess. Or maybe they're just as bewildered as I am.

According to the allegations, King James looks like King Kong clutching Fay Wray on the latest cover of Vogue, and the image, according to potential handbook writers, "conjures up this idea of a dangerous black man."

Hmm, to LeBron and his handlers, he looks like LeBron clutching a pretty white woman on the latest cover of Vogue, and the image conjures up the idea that LeBron can race up court with a basketball and a supermodel.

I agree with LeBron. The photographer captured him exactly as he is. You know, when he covered his body in tatts years ago, mimicking a death-row inmate, LeBron invited people to jump to the conclusion that he's dangerous. Yeah, that's the way the image-is-everything game is played. Ink is a prison and gang thing. Don't act like you don't know the origin of the current fad.

Vogue put a mirror in our face, and we're complaining about the reflection. Half the black players in the NBA take the court each night in front of white audiences tatted from neck to toe like they're shooting a scene for Prison (Fast)Break.

When David Stern insisted on helping these players with their image by implementing a dress code, many of the players and their media groupies screamed racism. You see, showing up to work in a white T and iced-out (heavy jewelry) was their way of showing loyalty to their boys in the 'hood, a shout-out to the corner boys and girls.

And any time someone with common sense points out that athletes are making fools of themselves and feeding negative stereotypes, he or she is shouted down as a sellout, racist or out of touch.

Just look at how much heat the NFL takes for trying to stop Chad Johnson from bojangling. This is why a handbook to clear up the confusion is so necessary. When Johnson slaps in his gold teeth, dyes and cuts his hair into a blonde Mohawk, dances a jig in the end zone and makes life absolute hell on his black coach, that is fun and good for the game.

But when King James apes King Kong it is a terrible blow to the perception of black men.

Would we be having this discussion if LeBron struck the same pose on the cover of Ebony while holding Selita Ebanks? Think about it. And if we wouldn't be having the discussion, what does that say about us? Are we only bothered by negative images of black men when the primary/sole consumer of the image is white people?

Vogue ain't for us. Tyler Perry's new movie, Meet the Browns, was produced with us in mind. It had a great box-office debut, coming in at No. 2 with a take of more than $20 million. It also broke records for negative black stereotypes and simple-mindedness.

We ate it up, and I've yet to hear much of an outcry about a romantic comedy built around a single mama with three baby daddies, her loud-mouthed, weed-smoking, gun-toting Latino best girlfriend, a deadbeat daddy, a drunk sister and a deceased father who was a pimp-turned-preacher. I could go on. This list is endless.

Rather than reading and hearing universal condemnation of Tyler Perry, the drag-queen moviemaker is being hailed as a genius for recognizing what attracts us to the movie theatre.

I'm telling you we need a handbook. We need something athletes, entertainers, black and white folks can easily refer to when deciding how to react to the images we choose to project. The chapter on rap-music videos could be studied at major universities across the globe. I'd like for Bob Johnson, the founder of Black Exploitation Television, to pen that section when he comes off the Clinton campaign trail.

LeBron James is a kid, and his talents as a basketball player and absence of a father allowed him to "grow up" rather than be "raised." His stated goal is to be one of the richest men in the world. Like Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, he is a child celebrity interested in increasing his fame and little else.

He's in very good and very deep company when it comes to being unconcerned with and unqualified for the job of representing black men in a positive light.

Hell, given our current state of confusion, I'm not sure Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. could handle the job.

Jason Whitlock can be reached by email at [email protected].

Jun 27, 2005
wow. somebody read waaaaayyyyyy too far into that. just looks like lebron and some broad on the cover of a magazine. I dont see anything racist about it. In fact you'd probably have to have racist ideas floating around in your head to think that there's anything racist about it.

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
wow. somebody read waaaaayyyyyy too far into that. just looks like lebron and some broad on the cover of a magazine. I dont see anything racist about it. In fact you'd probably have to have racist ideas floating around in your head to think that there's anything racist about it.
That's what I was thinking. You'd have to have serious issues to liken that cover to some King Kong shit.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
All the so called "problems" of discrimination and misperception (not that they don't exist but very often shit is blown out of proportions) only become worse when you start looking for them (and finding them) everywhere...

I saw that cover some time ago, didn't see anything wrong with it; now when I read this, it really looks stereotypical, but I would have never thought about this if it wasn't for the article...

As it is, Lebron or whoever else it is looking like him, will never be able to appear with a white woman without this sort of discussion starting....

Jun 15, 2005
Funny, my mother just "hipped" me to this today, also.

She subscribes to Vogue and says, "This is the cover that's causing a controversy. Some people thinks he looks like King Kong."

Me = "Oh yeah?"

I took a quick look and figured someone was looking to deep for that shit. How big of a deal are folks making this out to be?

Feb 7, 2006
the sad shit bout it is alot of peeps in america are still racist and gonna continue to be racist, and some people fuckin shit up for when the real racist come on scene, with their boy cried wolf bs.

Feb 7, 2006
but you know what? till the day we as a people (but especially our govt.) puts everything on the table, promise to change things for the better and we actually see results, shit is just going to keep bubbling and bubbling. we never have had closure in this country, because the ugly truth in this country will tarnish the beautiful image we have. Eventually things fall apart.

Jan 9, 2004
I didn't see anything wrong with the cover at first, maybe that the model was caught laughing, but after reading the article, he does kind of look like donkey kong.

Apr 25, 2002
People need to stop reading Jason Whitlock and especially reading him and taking him serious.

His cred is gone and he is just a gimmick now (the black guy that shits on black people and contemporary black popular culture). He is boring and too predictable.

I’m glad he got dropped from ESPN.

Apr 25, 2002
I agree Jason Whitlock is a bitch.

Anyways one thing I thought I would bring up is the fact that this is a black man with a white women. A lot of people aren't racist but when it comes to interracial dating that is where the line is drawn. "Its okay to be neighbors and go to school together as long as you aren't dating my daughter." This is a concept that transcends ethnic lines. Just as white people may draw racial conclusions from this cover, Asian men draw the same conclusions when they see white men with Asian women, Latin men draw the same conclusions about white men with Latina women, white men draw the same conclusions about Latin men dating white women, and yes, Black men draw the same conclusions about white men dating Black women.

Of course there is the whole idea that we are attracted to our own kind (race/ethinicity, religion, class, etc) and also that being with our own kind helps preserve the culture and way of life we raise our children in. Is it racist if one is willing to live side by side another group of people but strongly prevent interracial dating, marriage, procreation, etc?

But I guess I would just bring up the issue with the cover isn't that Lebron looks like King Kong, it's that he's with a white woman.