Advice bout Parvo

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
i think my dog might have contracted parvo, cant afford the vet trip, dont qualify for a line of credit, and really dunno how to help my pit

if anyone knows anything that can help, please let me know, i havent owned a dog in damn near 12 years and i dont wanna lose my first...

ive heard gatorade and i bought him a few bottles, also i boiled some ox tails and im gonna give him the liquid in hopes of giving him something with fat and other nutes for his body so he can recover

any help is appreciated

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
Survival rate depends on how quickly CPV is diagnosed, the age of the animal and how aggressive the treatment is. Treatment usually involves extensive hospitalization, due to the severe dehydration and damage to the intestines and bone marrow. A CPV test should be given as early as possible if CPV is suspected in order to begin early treatment and increase survival rate if the disease is found.
Treatment ideally also consists of crystalloid IV fluids and/or colloids, antinausea injections (antiemetics) such as metoclopramide, dolasetron, ondansetron and prochlorperazine, and antibiotic injections such as cefoxitin, metronidazole, timentin, or enrofloxacin.[29] IV fluids are administered and antinausea and antibiotic injections are given subcutaneously, intramuscularly, or intravenously. The fluids are typically a mix of a sterile, balanced electrolyte solution, with an appropriate amount of B-complex vitamins, dextrose and potassium chloride. Analgesic medications such as buprenorphine are also used to counteract the intestinal discomfort caused by frequent bouts of diarrhea.
In addition to fluids given to achieve adequate rehydration, each time the puppy vomits or has diarrhea in a significant quantity, an equal amount of fluid is administered intravenously. The fluid requirements of a patient are determined by the animal's body weight, weight changes over time, degree of dehydration at presentation and surface area.
A blood plasma transfusion from a donor dog that has already survived CPV is sometimes used to provide passive immunity to the sick dog. Some veterinarians keep these dogs on site, or have frozen serum available. There have been no controlled studies regarding this treatment.[29] Additionally, fresh frozen plasma and human albumin transfusions can help replace the extreme protein losses seen in severe cases and help assure adequate tissue healing.
Once the dog can keep fluids down, the IV fluids are gradually discontinued, and very bland food slowly introduced. Oral antibiotics are administered for a number of days depending on the white blood cell count and the patient's ability to fight off secondary infection. A puppy with minimal symptoms can recover in 2 or 3 days if the IV fluids are begun as soon as symptoms are noticed and the CPV test confirms the diagnosis. If more severe, depending on treatment, puppies can remain ill from 5 days up to 2 weeks. However, even with hospitalization, there is no guarantee that the dog will be cured and survive.
:::

Props: Legman

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
yea thanks guys

i bought him pedialyte and something to check his temp...no fever so thats good

but he is throwing up, including throwing up the pedialyte

i appreciate the help guys

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
Water it down so he doesn't get too much of the syrupy content of the Pedilyte.

He's vomiting because he's extremely sick, no doubt, and adding water may help cut the stuff enough for him to eventually keep it down.

It's crucial that he remains hydrated, even if you have to force him to drink.

I had to do that with one of my cats a few weeks ago.

He stopped eating and kept shitting himself, and among other things, he was bone thin and his piss was a concentrated yellow color.

I literally had to open his mouth and basically lightly drown him until he finally kept it down. Be persistent.

Props: S.SAVAGE

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
im stressed enough dana, i didnt need that post from you

but ok thanks anyway

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
my homie told me about vibactra plus, but i cant find it anywhere

anyone know anything bout it? or collodial silver?

Jun 21, 2005
dam sorry to hear that. how old is the dog? is up to date on its shots? I just found out my dog has stage 5 lymphoma. shes doesnt have too much time left. but shes fighting like a champ. dana is right though. having animals is a big financial comment. i spent $1200 just to find out that my dog is gonna die and there aint much i can do about it but spoil her to her last breath... Parvo can be anywhere in the dirt, concrete, shoes other dogs. literally everywhere. your gonna have to bleach everywhere around your crib to reduce the chances another dog dont get it... The best thing for the dog is to give it up. so the vet can help it. if its not too late...sorry man...

Feb 10, 2009
South Sacramento
If ur gonna have a pitbull you gotta have atleast $1000 stacked away for medical bills just in case anything goes wrong with the dogs health.

If thats not enough you might as well put it out of its misery with a .22 to its dome.

Last edited:
May 31, 2006
shittttt.. i can kinda relate, similar situation for me and my dog. my dog (10 years old) tore both of his ACL's. surgery cost $8,000, insurance covered half. the real shitty part is the road to 100% recovery, many months from now. my dog is in serious pain and can not walk on his own. he has to be lifted with a belt thingy to take him outside to shit and piss (70lbs of dead weight cuz he takes light sedation pills.) anyone ever had this situation?

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
Sorry to tell you, but without immediate vet treatment, your guy probably won't make it. And he's just going to suffer needlessly while you try and cure him at home.

Having a pet is like having a child. If you can't afford to take care of it properly, you probably shouldn't have one.
Yeah but you can't just shoot a kid and bury him somewhere on the property when he gets too sick.

Props: Shaniac