? about protools...mac vs. pc

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 19, 2003
i don't really know what direction to. i've been using cakewalk on a pc, but I started making music on a mac years ago. i just want my music to sound crispy and a machine that works fast. looking for some good suggestionz cuz the users section of protools is down so i thought i'd ask here.

Apr 25, 2002
duc.digidesign.com

go to the search page, search for something like " Mac vs PC "

sure you'll find some great answers...OSX might be the way to go with PT6...i use a PC and i'm a little jealous about what they get, but PC's are just as stable and the price is unbeatable...you can have a GREAT system for under $800...

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
If you go to the Digi board use the search feature, cause this subject gets debatted 10,000 times a week there and those of us who go there are sick of seeing it.

To break it down to you, it goes like this. PT is a mac based program, if you are getting one of the HD or TDM systems you get a mac no questions asked.

Now the 001 and the 002 are a little different. Because these are host based systems, they depend on the power of your computor. And wanna know a shocker??????? There are $800 PC 001 and 002 systems that flat out smoke MAC systems. I've been useing the 001 on PC for almost 2 years now and I have no regrets what so ever. PT is very, very pickey about what motherboard you have, if you go the PC route DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Dont try to use a compaq ar dell or gateway, your just asking for trouble.

PT 6 was just released but only for HD, which now alows it to run on OSX. 001 and 002 PT 6 wont be coming until june or july. PT 6 does allow mac's with dual processor's to use both processors, but digi limits it so the second processor can only use something 30% of its power. So PT 6 will be stronger on MACS than it was in Ver 5, it still wont quite have the power that a PC does. The reason why digi limits the second processor is because the HD and TDM systems use DSP cards and digi dont want there entry level units to be as strong as there $10,000 plus systems, because than why would you pay $10,000 if you can get the same results for $1,000.

001 Pro's and cons.

Pro's
1.) Great feature set all in one box.
2.) Plug ins and are very nice for the price of the unit.
3.) Up to 18 in's and outs.
8 analog in and out
2 mic pre's
8 channles of Adat
2 channles of S/PDIF
4.) Pro tools software very very simple to use.
5.) Even though your buying into there base model you are still learning how to use the INDUSTRY STANDARD multi track / editor.

Cons
1.) Analog in's sound average.
2.) Mic pre's are average.
3.) System performance based on your comp power.

The 002 has improved Mic pre's ( there's also 4 instead of 2 ) and its anlaog inputs are also improved. Same software, but you get the control surface. Same number of overall inputs and out puts ( 18 )

As far as your music sounding "CRISPY" as you put it, that will take more money into better A/D converters, Better mic pre's, Better Mic's, Better FX plug in's and or processor's and a good general knowledge of how things work in the studio, and good recording techniques.

If you have any specfic questions feel free to ask and I'll see if I can answer them............