A Royal whipping on DeAngelo Hall

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 17, 2002
WWW.SICCNESS.NET
A Royal whipping on DeAngelo Hall
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 09/09/2008 11:43:00 PM MDT

Denver rookie receiver Eddie Royal's nine catches against Oakland included this 26-yard touchdown reception of a Jay Cutler pass. ( John Leyba, The Denver Post )

The Play: The Broncos' game plan was to isolate rookie receiver Eddie Royal on Raiders cornerback DeAngelo Hall. Royal finished with nine catches for a league-high 146 yards and a touchdown. He also drew two unnecessary roughness penalties to Oakland.

Point/counterpoint: The Raiders' defensive strength was supposed to be their cornerback tandem of Nnamdi Asomugha and Hall. The Broncos showed great respect for Asomugha, who nearly crippled the Broncos' season with a vicious tackle on a scrambling Jay Cutler. But with Broncos star receiver Brandon Marshall missing the opener to serve his one-game suspension, Mike Shanahan built his game plan around Royal beating Hall. Afterward, Hall said the Broncos outschemed the Raiders — a term that points a finger at the coaching staff. Cutler scoffed at that notion. "We played one-on-one football with them; we didn't outscheme them," Cutler said. "Eddie Royal beat DeAngelo Hall time after time after time. That's what happened."

Klis' take: Never in Shanahan's 14 years as coach has he had a receiver who could run like Royal. It was ridiculous how the Raiders stubbornly refused to give Hall help. If Royal can't be covered one-one-one, and Marshall can't be covered one-on-one, Cutler should be in for a fun year.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
you notice anything about that list? only lipps and bolden are even mentionable. royals career peak was monday night.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
ive stuck up for hall for a long time but when he continues to pass the blame for being burnt it gets old. your head is too fuckin big meangelo. d-fall. whatever youre being called nowadays (besides 70 million dollar man). he is a case where ego destroys talent. the same excuses i hear from raider fans are the same ones i gave for him.

its sad we have an undrafted free agent starting in his place and performing as well if not better.

Aug 9, 2006
dhall has never been a good cover corner.....he is a elite athlete in the leauge but to think your getting ASO2 your just dumb......football fans knew...

dhall has never been near the top 10 in metrics....maybe not even top 20

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
dhall could be a stud but he lets his ego get in the way. no cb is worth 70 million dollars. none of them. not fucking 1. not nate clements (who? lol) . not champ bailey. and definitely not d hall.

Aug 9, 2006
coulda......his raw physical skills never translated properly on the nfl field.....put the ball in his hands its problems....

but dont expect him to cover a top tier WR ever......and from the looks of it he cant even cover 2nd teier wideouts......i thought he might look better against lesser talent then he faced at the one spot in atl.....but he did a good job of proving that wrong

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I'm not going to come down on Hall too bad because Cutler had too much time to find Royal. Hall's gotta step his game up but we gotta get pressure on Cutler too. I agree with D. Angelo about the Raiders getting outplayed and outschemed.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
i would give d the benefit of the doubt if he wasnt such a primadonna. i agree if a qb has all day to throw the ball the cbs are gonna get beat. i dont give a fuck if your secondary is deion sanders ronnie lott jack tatum and champ bailey. but shut your mouth and be a man not a fucking pussy bitch.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
i would give d the benefit of the doubt if he wasnt such a primadonna. i agree if a qb has all day to throw the ball the cbs are gonna get beat. i dont give a fuck if your secondary is deion sanders ronnie lott jack tatum and champ bailey. but shut your mouth and be a man not a fucking pussy bitch.
Yeah he was talking about being the No. 1 CB tandem so he's gotta step up. If he doesn't get injured he has a chance at getting revenge.

Mar 16, 2005
you notice anything about that list? only lipps and bolden are even mentionable. royals career peak was monday night.
spoken like someone eho hasn't been listening to me or watched a single preview of the 2008 Broncos!

Royal has been taking it to champ and Bly in practice since day 1!

He will be a VEEERRRRRRYYYYY good #2 wr for our team!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I think Royal is that good but I don't believe Hall is that bad. Over the next few weeks should tell us though. I wonder what kind of defense/coverage they were in. I am not going to come down on Hall too bad because I don't know what kind of coverages they were calling and we didn't get pressure on Cutler. Hall still has to step his game up but I don't think he's as bad as we seen on Monday night.

May 9, 2002
so is royal that good or was hall that bad?
A little of both.

Royal comes from a school that is known for their running game, so his numbers werent nearly as good as they should have been in college. With that being said, he is still the 4th best receiver, numbers wise, in VT history and the all-time punt returner in ACC history.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
I think Royal is that good but I don't believe Hall is that bad. Over the next few weeks should tell us though. I wonder what kind of defense/coverage they were in. I am not going to come down on Hall too bad because I don't know what kind of coverages they were calling and we didn't get pressure on Cutler. Hall still has to step his game up but I don't think he's as bad as we seen on Monday night.
ya good point bout the coverage scheme. maybe they were in a get burnt for 146yds & a td zone.

Aug 9, 2006
nah its because they didnt blitz lol.....the falcons had a pretty good front seven and he still got raped...

his game against the broncos was a lil just a LIL bit worse then his average game.....check his metrics