50 Cent: I'll Quit if Outsold by West

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 11, 2002
50 Cent: I'll Quit if Outsold by West
Friday, August 10, 2007 7:06 PM EDT
The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — 50 Cent believes his new album will outsell Kanye West's upcoming disc, and he's betting his solo career on it. Both 50 Cent and West have albums due out Sept. 11. 50 Cent, who has sold better than West, has been riled by forecasts that sales of West's "Graduation" could rival those for his "Curtis" CD.

"Let's raise the stakes," the 31-year-old rapper told hip-hop Web site SOHH.com in an interview posted Friday. "If Kanye West sells more records than 50 Cent on September 11, I'll no longer write music. I'll write music and work with my other artists, but I won't put out anymore solo albums."

An e-mail sent to West's publicist wasn't immediately returned Friday.

50 Cent, whose real name is Curtis James Jackson, has been publicly disparaging of West before. In 2005, he suggested the 29-year-old rapper's popularity was only possible because of 50's own success.

But they recently collaborated in the studio. Their work, though, isn't scheduled to appear on either new album.

50 Cent's last full-length solo album, "The Massacre," was the best-selling disc of 2005 and sold more than 1.14 million copies in its first week of release. The same year, West's "Late Registration" opened by selling more than 860,000 copies in its first week.

———

On the Net:

SOHH:

www.sohh.com/

50 Cent:

www.50cent.com/

Kanye West:

www.kanyewest.com/

Jan 23, 2007
i cant beleive nobody notices that everytime 50 album comes out he tries to stir up hella contreversy and shit...and everybody is fallin for it...that niggas talkin out of his ass...100% guarantee he will not quit if kanye outsells him

Apr 20, 2005
ofcourse everybody notices it. Pretty much every rapper has to do a little something extra to promote their shit. See? Now we all know that their shits is comming out on 9/11. Nobody knows when UGK, Talib, Mike Jones or any of these other albums are comming out. But everybody knows when 50 & Kanye's shit is dropping.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
i dunno id almost rather 50 rap than kanye

i lightweight wish death on kanye west

i was listening to this compilation of50 cent diss tracks and songs hes been dissed on and 50 is pretty funny, lmao at the cam's snapple thing

kanyes production is cool but i can do without him rapping

May 31, 2007
Yea... I rather have em BOTH put the Mic down but one i gotta rep Kanye a little more... CHICAGO REPRESENT... and 2... I dunno. 50 started good back in the day.. I dunno WTF happend

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
yeah see thats why its hard to pick..something tells me 50 cent can still make good songs like he used to..

kanye...theres no way kanye can come back from all the stupid ass comments hes made so its best he dosent talk and jsut puts out beats, to me..

the smartest thing he did was not want to 'go to war' with 50 cent, im sure hed say something else hella stupid but maybe hed make a good point who knows

unfortunately 50 cent will get buzz and attention and then drop radio hits...kanye will get attention and do something creative with his spotlight

i might not always like his direction but atleast he does something different every time

Feb 8, 2003
Everybody is ignoring 50 this time he not getting the response he was looking for. Bc no lie everyone I know says 50 fell off and they gonna support Kanye. IMO I think they both gonna flopp and not put up the numbers they want(like going platinum the first day)

Jul 12, 2007
damn kanyes shit already sound better than 50's 4 singles he got out but so if 50 sells more than people aint listenin... but every1 be hatin on these guys n im not sayin they the best but they both definetly got hella talent

Oct 14, 2004
Cam'ron is going to kill 50's career.

I wish Big L was here.

If Big L was still alive, 50 cent would'nt be popular at all.