49ers backup Barlow one of Dallas' targets as trade deadline nears

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Notebook: Cowboys may bolster running game

49ers backup Barlow one of Dallas' targets as trade deadline nears

10:12 PM CDT on Monday, October 13, 2003

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The trading deadline is 4 p.m. Tuesday, and it's possible the Cowboys could make a move or two.

With concerns about the running game, the Cowboys have inquired about the services of a few tailbacks. They have talked with San Francisco about running back Kevan Barlow, according to two sources, including one close to Barlow. The Cowboys called on Miami's Leonard Henry, but the Dolphins were not willing to trade their second-year running back.

"If something comes up and we think it'll help us, we might do it," coach Bill Parcells said. "That's the way Jerry [Jones] is. Certainly if something comes up, he'd call it to my attention and we'd talk about it philosophically and whether we think it would be a good move."

Troy Hambrick is on pace for 1,104 yards after rushing for 345 yards on 102 carries in five games, but he is averaging only 3.4 yards per carry. Parcells views Aveion Cason as a change of pace, but rookie Erik Bickerstaff is the only grind-it-out runner besides Hambrick.

As much as it appears the running game is struggling, the Cowboys are averaging 134.8 yards per game on the ground, a 25-yard improvement over last season.

"I'm not interested in what's wrong with the running game, only with respect to we can run and control the game, which is what we've been able to do a little bit," Parcells said.

Barlow, a third-round pick in 2001 and Garrison Hearst's backup, does not appear to be the Niners' tailback of the future. He has carried the ball 60 times for 257 yards this season. He has also caught eight passes for 74 yards. He is scheduled to be a restricted free agent after the season.

According to a New York Jets source, they have an interest in cornerback Andrew Davison, who has yet to play for the Cowboys this season, for a late-round pick. Davison played six games for the Jets last season.

Witten has desire to play against Lions

Rookie tight end Jason Witten will meet with an oral surgeon Wednesday to see if he can have the braces removed from his broken jaw in order to practice.

Witten, whose jaw broke in three places from a hit in the Arizona game, is hoping to play at Detroit on Sunday, but he has not been able to eat solid food and has lost 11 pounds.

"If it's just a pain issue, I can try and tough it out," Witten said. "But I can't imagine taking a blow from someone like Roy Williams."

Witten will be fitted with a new helmet that protects his jaw better, and he will have a different chinstrap and mouthpiece when he does return.

Ross may earn more playing time

Derek Ross' inclusion in the nickel defense may not just be a one-time thing. Coach Bill Parcells expressed disappointment with the play of Pete Hunter, who was flagged twice for holding Sunday and beaten on a pass for 27 yards.

Ross, playing in his first game since knee surgery Aug. 28, took over that spot on the game's final series.

"You can't be doing that," Parcells said of Hunter's penalties.

"He's had four holding penalties in the last couple of weeks. You can't be doing that. It's got to change, but we'll see. He's done some good things."

Briefly ...

Coach Bill Parcells is concerned about the kickoff-coverage unit, and said he will make some changes. The Cowboys are allowing 25.7 yards per kick return and had returns of 63, 30 and 41 yards against them the last two games. Parcells said he also wants to be more aggressive on punt returns with Zuriel Smith's ability.

Apr 25, 2002
First of all I'd like to say that the Cowboys never should've allowed Emmitt Smith to leave. T-Ham has showed that he can't even fuck with a declining Emmitt Smith. Emmitt Smith at this point last season with the worst offensive line in football was averaging close to 4.0 yards per carry while Hamberick is only averaging 3.6 yards a carry. Hamberick is a GREAT BLOCKER but he's a sorry ass runner. A guy Ham's size 6-1 238 lbs should not go down that easy. And secondly the man has NO moves at all, factor in poor balance and he is part of the reason why our offense will not score more than 2 TD's a game.

The Cowboys offense is based on playaction pass, what is a playaction pass if the running back is inconsistent running the ball? NOTHING!! We need Kevan Barlow. He runs like how we want T-Ham to run, he's got great balance, vision and speed. He's a liability in the back field but Bill Parcells will straighten that shit out.

Here's hoping we get Kevan Barlow tommorow.

May 10, 2002
Hambricks showed me some good things....but probably not enough to justify him being a starting NFL back....he runs hard and finishes out his runs, but he just doesnt know how to make people miss....

but who knows, maybe all these trade rumors are just parcells way of trying to motivate hambrick to get more out of him....

Apr 25, 2002
did i miss it or did it not say who they're trying to trade for Barlow? tha Ninerz wont trade Barlow unless tha cowboys come up with a trade that will definately benefit tha Ninerz bcuz Barlow is a great back.

Apr 25, 2002
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
did i miss it or did it not say who they're trying to trade for Barlow? tha Ninerz wont trade Barlow unless tha cowboys come up with a trade that will definately benefit tha Ninerz bcuz Barlow is a great back.
Yeah I don't know, but you got to factor in that I want to believe in this shit..lol!! So just the thought of Barlow instead of Hambrick makes me feel good.

The deadline has passed and I haven't heard anything so it probably didn't happen.

Apr 25, 2002
BornSin said:
Hambricks showed me some good things....but probably not enough to justify him being a starting NFL back....he runs hard and finishes out his runs, but he just doesnt know how to make people miss....

but who knows, maybe all these trade rumors are just parcells way of trying to motivate hambrick to get more out of him....
What has Hambrick showed you?

He's showed me one good game, but his success in the past was due to 22 wearing down the defense.

In the second half of every game we go into ball control offense, but how can we be successful in ball control offense without a running game? Just go back and look at every single game except the Jets game and Hambrick has always stunk it up in the second half. With the schedule getting tougher the next 5 weeks we will have to be one dimensional and rely on Q's arm because Hambrick doesn't scare ANYONE. That shit is not right.

May 10, 2002
just seen on espn that there were no trades by anyone so it looks like ol' hambone will be the starter for the rest of the year barring injury......im not ready to give up on him just yet....this is his first year as a starting back so ill wait a few more games before i crucify him......

and it would be no different if we still had emmitt....why pay more money to get the same result??

but ill tell you what we need to see more of.....JAMAAR MARTIN....richie anderson isnt your prototypical fullback....jamaar is a monster blocker and the running game would benefit from him getting more snaps....