2013 Oakland A's Thread...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
John Jaso (concussion) took batting practice Tuesday.
It's a nice step, though it remains up in the air as to whether Jaso will make it back this season. The catcher has been sidelined since late July with post-concussion symptoms.

Athletics manager Bob Melvin said that Brett Anderson is likely to remain in the bullpen for the rest of the season.
"At this point, he looks to just be a bullpen guy," Melvin said. Anderson has put up a 6.97 ERA over five relief appearances since returning late last month.

Yoenis Cespedes has been diagnosed with tendinitis in his right shoulder.
The good news is that he doesn't have any sort of tear. Cespedes will continue to play through the ailment, though most of his at-bats down the stretch are expected to come in the designated hitter spot

Jed Lowrie will test out his right hamstring before Tuesday's game.
If it goes well, he could be available off the bench Tuesday before returning to action Wednesday. Lowrie hasn't played since tweaking his hammy during Sunday's game. Eric Sogard is starting at shortstop Tuesday.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Hey, if it works for TSA ...

By Rob Neyer R @Rob neyer on Sep 16 2013, 5:58p

Boy, this was a disappointing thing to find in my e-mailbox Monday morning. Straight from the Athletics' media-relations department, too:

Adhering to a new Major League Baseball league-wide mandate, the Oakland A’s will begin using a walk-through metal detection system for fans entering O.co Coliseum for all remaining home games beginning Thursday night when the team hosts Minnesota at 7:05 p.m. MLB teams will implement a similar league-wide system that is currently in place for all NFL and NBA teams.

The A’s recommend that ticket holders enter O.co Coliseum when stadium gates first open to allow ample time for this new security procedure. Gates will open at 5:35 p.m. Thursday, 4:30 p.m. Friday, and 11:05 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday.

This new procedure will continue through any potential 2013 post-season games, and for all future regular season games.

Wait a minute ... for a 7:05 start, the A's are recommending that fans with tickets arrive at 5:35? What about fans who, you know, have jobs and stuff? And is baseball going to cut the length of commercial breaks so the games are over before 10? Or are they really suggesting that fans should now just plan on spending five hours at the ballpark every time?

Hey, if nothing else, the concession stands should do plenty more business.

The good news? If you believe Bill Shaikin, this is NOT a "Major League Baseball league-wide mandate" ...

Bill Shaikin ✔ B @bill Shaikin

There is no MLB mandate to use airport-style screening at ballpark gates. The #Athletics are making their own call.

... and in fact the Athletics, from what I've been able to tell, are the only major-league franchise to adopt these new procedures. So far, anyway.

Look, everybody wants to forestall a tragedy. I understand that, even allowing for the fact that many, many thousands of professional and college sporting events have gone on without a single terrorist attack or mass murdering since 9/11. Actually, since forever. Basically, if you want to kill a bunch of people, there are easier ways than passing through even the rudimentary security procedures already in place.

As usual, it's foolish to treat baseball exactly like football or basketball or hockey. Baseball games are much longer than basketball and hockey, and played much more often than football.

But really, my objection runs deeper than that. Speaking as a person rather than an analyst, I believe we've traded too much convenience for too little additional safety. I think most of you probably agree with me. But this is one of those situations where the vocal minority too often wins. The Oakland Athletics aren't really afraid of someone sneaking an AK-47 or a bushel of grenades into the Coliseum, and killing a bunch of folks. The A's know that's wildly unlikely. What they're afraid of is that if something terrible does happen, they'll be blamed for it.

Which might not be fair. But it will happen, at least to some degree. Frankly, I'm surprised (and grateful) that movie theaters haven't instituted airport-like security screenings yet. Maybe that's just a matter of time, too.

We live in a strange country, friends, where statistically tiny threats are met, time and time again, with wild overreactions that generally lead to more trouble than they're worth. And I'm disappointed that a generally well-run baseball team seems to be leading the way.

Props: REACHTMO

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
6.5 up. Sonny Gray looked great tonight, I saw him pitch at a Rivercats game earlier this year and could already see the potential. I was following the game on my phone at the gym and saw that Cook had back to back HBP's, what the fuck happened there? and they made this close but we'll take the walk-off.

And yeah that article I posted...wtf....metal detectors? i wonder what sparked that

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
yeah that was a rough game. He got away with blowing the first fastball past Hamilton, I don't think Hamilton was gonna let him get another one. Fed it right into his wheelhouse.

Sucks the twins tied it up on a couple shitty wild pitches, but we just took the lead so I'm ok with it, even though Straily won't get the win and Griffin didn't get the win yesterday. Also, here's a pretty funny play where Plouffe tripped over the pitcher's mound in the bullpen.

Video: MIN Plouffe tumbles over pitching mound in 'pen | MLB.com

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Yoenis Cespedes (shoulder) will continue to serve as the A's DH when he's in the lineup, as he's still "at least a few days" away from returning to the outfield.
Cespedes has been limited to DH duties since last week due to soreness in his right shoulder. He received a cortisone injection on Thursday which has helped, but the A's don't want him to agitate the injury by attempting to throw just yet.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Colon's looking good. and the Royals beat the Rangers moving the magic number down to 3...and since the A's are up 4-0, and if they hold on and win, the magic number will be 2. fuck yeah