MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
UFC heavyweight Shane Del Rosario clings to life, possibly with rare heart condition

After collapsing and going into full cardiac arrest, UFC heavyweight Shane del Rosario remains in a Newport Beach, Calif. hospital, UFC officials and the fighter’s manager announced on Friday.

Del Rosario, a kickboxing and muay Thai vet who eventually fought his way to Strikeforce and the UFC after turning to MMA, has not regained consciousness since Tuesday’s episode.

According to an update the UFC and manager Jason House issued on Friday, doctors haven’t ruled out the possibility that the 30-year-old fighter is suffering from a heart ailment called long QT syndrome.

“After arriving at the emergency room in full cardiac arrest on Tuesday morning he was resuscitated to stable rhythm and blood pressure, but has not regained consciousness. Doctors believe he may suffer from a rare condition called Long QT Syndrome, which is a genetic anomaly that can cause a sudden and life threatening heart rhythm abnormality, and may result in sudden death. Tragically, it strikes healthy young people and often is the first and only presentation of a heart problem.”
Long QT syndrome, or LQTS, is inherited and can lead to sudden death due to ventricular fibrillation.

As MMAjunkie reported this past week, del Rosario (11-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) was forced out of a UFC 168 fight against Guto Inocente (6-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) due to a rib injury. He’s been out of action for nearly a year due to injuries.

Del Rosario opened his MMA career with an 11-0 record, which included a 3-0 mark in Strikeforce. All 11 wins came via stoppage, including 10 in the first round. However, since moving to the UFC in 2012, he’s suffered back-to-back knockout losses to Stipe Miocic and Pat Barry.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
John Dodson out at UFC on FOX 9, Scott Jorgensen awaits new opponent

Scott Jorgensen will now wait on his third different flyweight opponent, as the former bantamweight has seen first Ian McCall and now John Dodson have been forced to withdraw from the matchup.

UFC officials today announced that Dodson has been forced out due to injury and that a new opponent is expected to be announced shortly.

UFC on FOX 9 takes place Dec. 14 at Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, Calif. The main card airs on FOX, but FOX Sports 1 and MMAjunkie.com carry the prelims, which was expected to include Dodson vs. Jorgensen.

Dodson fought most recently in October at UFC 166, where he knocked out Darrell Montague. It moved his record to 4-1 in the UFC, where his only loss came in a January title fight with champ Demetrious Johnson. Overall, the Team Jackson-Winkeljohn fighter is 6-1 in his past seven fights, which included winning “The Ultimate Fighter 14″ in 2011.

Jorgensen, meanwhile, has fought under the Zuffa banner since 2008. He put together a 7-3 record in the WEC before the promotion shuttered its doors and ceded its talent to the UFC. Jorgensen opened his UFC career with wins over Jeff Curran and Ken Stone but has since gone just 1-3, though the losses came to top-ranked bantamweights Urijah Faber, Eddie Wineland and Renan Barao. The skid also included two “Fight of the Night” performances.

The onetime UFC and WEC bantamweight title challenger is expected to make his flyweight debut on next week’s card if a replacement opponent is found in time.

Feb 10, 2006
^^ this dude has so much fuccin potential its not even funny! brutal!! I want to see him at 155 if dana can give him another shot, he's too small for 170

Feb 10, 2006
Carlos Condit vs. Tyron Woodley set for UFC 171 in Dallas

Nick Diaz’s loss is Tyron Woodley‘s gain.

After Diaz turned down a fight with Carlos Condit (29-7 MMA, 6-3 UFC) at UFC 171, and UFC President Dana White turned down an eager Woodley (12-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), the UFC executive has relented.

Promotion officials today announced the Woodley vs. Condit fight for the March 15 event at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. Although its placement on the card is not yet confirmed, it is certain to serve on the pay-per-view main card.

White initially said Woodley’s standing in the 170-pound division precluded him from facing the higher-ranked Condit, whose bout with Matt Brown at this past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 9 event was nixed when Brown suffered a back injury.

While not thrilled about being stalked via cellphone, praised Woodley’s desire to take face Condit after Brown withdrew and Diaz demurred.

“If Tyron Woodley texts me one more time…” White said. “The guy can’t text me enough. I mean, I’m not kidding you. I’m not being a promoter here. He must’ve texted me 15 times a day, and then when this thing with Georges St-Pierre went down, boom! He wants every fight.”

“There are guys like (Woodley) that are out there,” he said. “Those are the guys I want to deal with. Those are the guys I want to hear from. I love Tyron Woodley. I love it.”

Woodley transferred to the UFC following the demise of his longtime promoter, Strikeforce, and instantly made an impression with a first-round knockout of Jay Hieron at UFC 156. In his subsequent outing, however, he squandered his career capital with a lackluster decision loss to Jake Shields at UFC 161.

But at this past month’s UFC 167 event, Woodley rebounded in a big way with a first-round KO of onetime title challenger Josh Koscheck, which impressed White.

Condit recently got back on the winning track by avenging a loss to Martin Kampmann in the headliner of UFC Fight Night 27. Previously, Johny Hendricks outpointed him, and Condit lost a bid for the title of Georges St-Pierre, who recently vacated the belt.

Hendricks and Robbie Lawler are set to headline UFC 171 for the now-vacant title, but the winner of Condit-Woodley is likely to get the winner.

With the addition to the card, UFC 171 now includes:

Champ Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler - for vacant welterweight title
Carlos Condit vs. Tyron Woodley
Hector Lombard vs. Jake Shields
Myles Jury vs. Diego Sanchez
Ovince St. Preux vs. Thiago Silva
Robert McDaniel vs. Tor Troeng
Alex Garcia vs. Sean Spencer

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Bigfoot Silva Fails Post Fight Drug Test, Suspended 9 Months

Antonio Silva Fails Post-Fight Drug Test, Will Be Suspended for 9 Months | Bleacher Report

Antonio Silva failed his UFC Fight Night 33 post-fight drug test, according to a recent report from MMAjunkie.com.

Despite getting the green light to use testosterone replacement therapy, Silva tested positive for elevated testosterone levels. Now, the former title challenger will face a nine-month suspension, and he will lose his $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus, which will now be awarded to his opponent at the event, Mark Hunt.

For fight fans, this is disappointing news as the main event between "Bigfoot" and Hunt went down as an instant classic between two inhumanely tough heavyweights. The fight seemed to defy the limits of the human body and spirit, and Silva, for his part, was under the influence of some laboratory-crafted enhancement.

This marks the second time Silva has tested positive for steroid use in his career, the first instance coming in August 2008 after an Elite XC heavyweight title championship victory over former UFC fighter Justin Eilers.

Silva and his camp vehemently denied this past test result, saying that taking any kind of steroid would greatly endanger the heavyweight fighter because of his pre-existing acromegaly, or "gigantism."

Due to this condition, Silva's body already produces an overabundance of growth hormone, and taking any additional steroids would put him in grave danger, according to his manager.

Despite this, Silva again tested positive after his clash with Hunt at UFC Fight Night 33.

"Bigfoot" will have time to sit out, evaluate his options and potentially fight the claim if he feels the need to do so.

For now, this news serves as an unfortunate smear on one of the finest heavyweight fights in UFC history.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
^^ this dude has so much fuccin potential its not even funny! brutal!! I want to see him at 155 if dana can give him another shot, he's too small for 170
Paul Daley has missed weight at 170 like 5 times in his career including in the UFC, dude would die trying to make 155.

I'm a huge Paul Daley fan, but I'm glad he's moving to kickboxing for a few fights and getting away from MMA. That knock out in BAMMA was nice, but just last month he got wrestlefucked by an unknown Russian in Russia. Daley can't seem to ever get by wrestlers.

Props: CZAR and CZAR
Feb 10, 2006
Paul Daley has missed weight at 170 like 5 times in his career including in the UFC, dude would die trying to make 155.

I'm a huge Paul Daley fan, but I'm glad he's moving to kickboxing for a few fights and getting away from MMA. That knock out in BAMMA was nice, but just last month he got wrestlefucked by an unknown Russian in Russia. Daley can't seem to ever get by wrestlers.
He's never been disciplined tho, get him out here in the states and on the dolce diet, dude makes that no problem imo. he's never taken his talents seriously, every big chance that he got he fucced it up. ex: missing weight, hitting kos after the final bell