Who Can Sell 25,000 Units? Can It Be Done?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 30, 2003
www.juicethesungod.com
^And that's exactly what I do. Just the other night at a show I did I gave 2 chicks 2 cd's for $5 cuz that's all the poor little thangs had. Damn, they were hot though! lol. That shit's fine with me every once in a while, but it's them wantin em for free that gets me.

Apr 25, 2002
JusFamilyRecords.com
@ Tadou

It all sounds good when aren't making a living off of this. When you get to the point that this is how you support yourself, then I will listen to all of that. And I know for a fact that JT isn't selling those new releases for no damn $3. He might be selling the old catalog titles for that price, but not the new stuff. When you have 70 albums you can afford to sell titles for $3 or $4. Think about it.

@ Chilli Lilli

You did get your money back right?

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
@Cool Nutz
I already covered this. There is no "when you're ____" shit, this is shit that is going on right now. Niggas is not moving units, and that is real. It is either time for more change or more politics, and i am on the side of change. Dig that like a spatula.

Apr 14, 2003
If im puttin out a 12-track(or less) release, Im gonna sell that shit for 5 dollars, any full album goes for 8 though, becuz I'm not givin my shit away, I feel what your sayin man but still, music is music and if your gonna pay 15 bucks for a mainstream cd wit 2 or 3 hot songs on there, then you should be able to pay 8 dollars for an underground cd with a listen. if you wanna peep it before you buy it, its all good, but be down to support.
Ya feel me?

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
itz either quick nickel or the slow dime.............. personally i'll take the quick nickel........ I'd rather sell 100 in a week @$5 then 50 in two weeks @ $10.........

the stores just aint ordering and stocking up like they used to.. I'll go lower to recoup my endz rather than holdin strong and draggin it out.

thatz me tho.

different strokes for different folks.

Feb 4, 2004
www.infamousent.com
Truthfully...10 Buckz for a Cd...I Dont kno...

I look at it like this, If I get something from a store...then I expect it to be a certain price...U feel me?...Like...I'll pay 13 dollars for a cd at the store...Maybe its jus sum inbred economic type shit..I dont kno...But Im used to it...But if u cum up tryna sell me that exact same thing for 13 dollars on the street...I prolly laugh at u...for sum reason...Stores jus make shit seem more legit...and not mom n pop stores...Im talkin tha towers,fye's,sam goodys...

When im walkin downtown, i get approached by no less then 2 or 3 people every time, tryna sell me thurr shit...50% of the time...just the artwork lookz to broke and cheasy for me to even think about PAYING for it..LoL...its like...if u didnt put no money into ya product...y should I...about 75% of that remaining 50% be sum wack ass music that I want my money back for...

Thats only 25% of 25% is good music...and its mosttimes not worth 10 dollars...

I agree wit tadou...I hear about all of the succesfull artist doing freeshit...giving out free cds...etc...a LOT...i think cats like cool nutz...u might be further along in the game...so i cant really speak on u...but a lot of cats who are at my level..(1 cd out)...need to jus basically worry about promotion...and not really...turning a profit...

and with that said...I wanna leave ya wit a quote from one of my recent songs

"Look at the facts...Every dude on ya Block Raps
Nobodys hot...Every dude on ya Block's Wack
Even the Chickz on ya Block..Wouldnt Cop that
But I Got the Best Shot...Not Even Mutumabo could block That"

Apr 25, 2002
Cool Nutz said:
@ Tadou
People should pay $10 for SLR, Jus Family, Bow Wow, The Lac, Red Head Steve, E-Dawg, The Loco, and any other local artist that is making good music. You might sell more for $5, but the perception of the people will always be lower then the next artist that is moving units for $10. I want people to feel like my music is worth the investment, not some bargain basement shit.
ATLEAST $10.

Apr 25, 2002
www.nightshield.net
This is an interesting thread to read, alot of good points made. My .02 cents though, any artist that relies soley on album sales is destined to fail. With the 5 releases I've put out I can honestly say we've moved close to 9,000 CD's combined selling them anywhere from $3-$10 depending on where and what we are doing but I'd say the real money we make is from shows as we (NSE) make anywhere from $800 to $1300 a show. Never under estimate the "Word Of Mouth" technique. I've hooked up plenty of folks with copies of our albums only to have them come at me months later for a show that pays $1000. Here in South Dakota there isnt a very big scene, I could sell a CD to everyone in SD and still not go platinum but trust me when I say, SD keeps it cracking. Cin'atra recently moved here from Seattle because of the buzz and attention we get out here. Folks can say what they want about SD but we hold it down and are doing bigger things than 90% of the folks in bigger cities and I believe that Word Of Mouth has alot to do with it.

Apr 25, 2002
www.nightshield.net
D'struction said:
Yeah but can you put it down in a big city as well? Are you known around the big cities?
I'm sure you probably can but its just somethin to think about.
I'm known across the midwest. If you are into underground hip hop I'm sure folks have heard of us. We've been featured in just about every local and native news paper, had an album of the year in MurderDog (The Hostile Takeover) and will be on the cover of an upcoming issue of Mafia Magazine. We performed in front of MTV camera'z at Oklahoma City's Rock The Vote Concert in June, I've been featured on over 15 albums that have been released with at least another 3 dropping by the end of the year. It's not about where you're from but how you rock it. Our music sounds just as professional and tight as anyone in the game including majors. Trust me, we're doing this for real.

@ Tadou,

I havent had the chance of Aberdeen yet but hope to get out there this fall for our upcoming tour!!