Siccness College folks

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Why don't you just go into trades???
Because society says you're some kind of failure if you don't go to college. Spend 4 or more years, thousands of dollars, for a the same sheet of paper 100's of other people are getting. Then go and compete for 2 jobs available in that field. Then when you out of luck you become a manager at Subway or a Sunglasses Hut store at the mall.

College in nonsense. Learn a trade and get to work. The world keeps churning out middle management cubicle dwellers. Be a plumber or something, grow up.

Jan 5, 2006
Lol who says I don't already work a trade though? If people don't wanna go to college that's cool but don't knock people who are trying to go with some communist or fuck college bullshit.

Besides trades tend to top off in salary, I'm not doing the blue collar job shit forever. Own the business don't be owned by the business. What's the saying? "Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t so you can spend the rest of your life like most people cant.”

If plumbing or electrical is your passion then by all means go for it, I'm not going to school to be another middle management dweller, everything I do is building me towards my dream and ultimate goal.

Oct 3, 2006
Lol who says I don't already work a trade though? If people don't wanna go to college that's cool but don't knock people who are trying to go with some communist or fuck college bullshit.

Besides trades tend to top off in salary, I'm not doing the blue collar job shit forever. Own the business don't be owned by the business. What's the saying? "Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t so you can spend the rest of your life like most people cant.”

If plumbing or electrical is your passion then by all means go for it, I'm not going to school to be another middle management dweller, everything I do is building me towards my dream and ultimate goal.
Exactly.

Cool thing is, a LOT of these nice paying jobs dont even care about what type of degree you have as long as it is a Bachelors in something. A friend of a friend, is working in the oil fields down in Texas as an office type of position and he as a Bachelors in Kinesiology lol. Another one is working for the state as a benefit screener or something and she has a History degree.
Both are making great pay.

It is good to have a degree just to fall back on as well, can't hurt.

Jan 5, 2006
Well, if you don't think the trades are a good fit for you..... how about plumbing or construction?
I wanna do something that I can see myself doing for the rest of my life and not seem like a job. Only thing construction related that interested me when I was younger was Architecture but that field is saturated.

Exactly.

Cool thing is, a LOT of these nice paying jobs dont even care about what type of degree you have as long as it is a Bachelors in something. A friend of a friend, is working in the oil fields down in Texas as an office type of position and he as a Bachelors in Kinesiology lol. Another one is working for the state as a benefit screener or something and she has a History degree.

Yup, and not only is it something to fall back on, employers want to see that if you could commit to working on a degree and reaching that goal then you can commit to their company and not be a nomad going from job to job. It shows them you can set goals and reach them.

Aug 26, 2002
Hard Times
Exactly.

There's some truth to this. If you have a degree in anything you almost always go to the front of the line over folks without. The thought is that you showed some drive, and you finished something, and you aren't a complete retard.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I actually thought about making this thread a few weeks ago.

I go to school on my GI Bill. Had no intention of going but my homeboy talked me in to going to make extra money and it's been a great decision. I also met my wife at the school I was going to so that's a win as well.

I graduate in November with a BS in Organizational Leadership. I mainly chose this degree because my GI Bill was running out and tuition is $6600 per semester where I'm going and it was a quick program. I was tired of not being able to apply for jobs for not having a degree too. I will likely keep going to get a Masters in Psychology or Masters of Divinity.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Exactly.

Exactly. I worked for Cox Communications for 5 years. One of my bosses had a degree in Dance. DANCE. The other had a degree in being a pilot. Both of those didn't have a damn thing to do with Cable TV but you could only apply for those jobs if you had a degree, no matter your experience. It's the world we live in.

Jan 5, 2006

I go to school on my GI Bill. Had no intention of going but my homeboy talked me in to going to make extra money and it's been a great decision. I also met my wife at the school I was going to so that's a win as well.

I graduate in November with a BS in Organizational Leadership. I mainly chose this degree because my GI Bill was running out and tuition is $6600 per semester where I'm going and it was a quick program. I was tired of not being able to apply for jobs for not having a degree too. I will likely keep going to get a Masters in Psychology or Masters of Divinity.
Props breh, motivation reading about other people getting a degree.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Props breh, motivation reading about other people getting a degree.
Shoot man, I have been going since 2011. Got surprised by divorce in my first semester, became a single dad of a 2 and 3 year old. Met my chick in college, got married, still been in school working full time that whole time. I was in the bottom 80 of my graduating class of 480 students. If I can do it, anyone can get a degree, for real, so hang in there.

Between my GI Bill and Pell Grant (DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS IF YOU QUALIFY) I've brought home $20k-30K extra in cash by going to college. Saved my butt financially.

mouth_my_nuts

🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻
Feb 16, 2006
Which of y'all is currently working on a degree and what degree?

I've got about two semesters of general ed. left then on to apply to transfer to Cal, UCLA, Cal Poly SLO, UC Davis, UCSC, UC Merced and Santa Clara if I could afford it and MAYBE SJSU if I can't get into the UC's I chose, not trying to go too far unless I get into Cal, UCLA or Cal Poly SLO, not sure yet if i'll major in Finance/Accounting or CompSci, gotta step my maths game up for CompSci. Stanford is a very very very long fucking shot.
Yea I was just fucking around with that Everest comment. Props to you for getting an education. I have 30 credits of my pre-requisites towards a radiology program at foothill college but I'm not enrolled this semester. I still have a chemistry lab and anatomy and physiology too. I go to all my classes baked, philosophy and biology lab were fun while stoned.

This day and age I feel like college degrees don't really get you more money unless you're in a guaranteed field like healthcare. You're talking about Stanford that's outta my league but I put my two cents in.

It's always good to have something to fall back on.

growing veggies/fruits and herb > all jobs IMO

Just herb can get you over 100k a year easy in Legal states but if you have land for veggies too that's where it will be at. Right now organic food is boppin erryone wants it. Whole foods is expensive shit, farmers markets are killin it.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2002
Got a Bachelors in Business Admin / HR Management from a Cal State school and got my MBA in Finance from a Private University (a respectable one, think St. Mary's / Pacific, not no Everest shit).

Making pretty good coin for a 31 year old - wouldn't be doing so if I didn't get my education.

Not to say you need one. I firmly believe you can be successful without education - your chances are just slimmer.

Oct 3, 2006

Yup same here. Gi Bill helps alot..love getting that extra monry to spend on

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I graduated last year with a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry.

This year I started my path to obtain doctoral in the field as medical professional, just started my second semester today... I will have periods of being MIA, the course load is intense.

First day 'of my second semester' today, we already been through like 1000 slides.

Last edited:

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
People who talk down on someone else getting a degree is literally the definition of hating. You may think it's not the path for you, but don't knock what other people have done.

and saying "college is for communists and lesbians" is like saying "reedeng boohkz is 4 fagz and shit"

at the same time, of course you're a retard if you think your BA in "California Studies" (one of my friends actually has that degree) is gonna be the key to getting u a $100K job.

a BA, or any degree, is just another stepping stone in furthering your career. It does tell employers that you were dedicated to getting it, and are passionate about SOMETHING.

that being said, I got my BA in English with an Emphasis in Creative Writing in May, after starting in 2004 and dropping out in 2008, and going back and finishing in 2012-2013. In no way do I expect to land my career job out of it, but it's something that I can look to and say-fuck yeah, I saw that through. My dad dropped out of college when he was almost done, never went back, landed a job with Blue Shield, and made decent money. His parents still think he graduated though and I pride myself on the fact that I finished, and know he'd be proud of me for doing it.

I'll be looking at grad school eventually, and got a few ideas of what I'd like to go for, but I'm not sure yet.

Mar 17, 2006
I was making more money than alot of people i know who went to college. I was welding on the pipeline. I was making 3 to 5k a week depending on the company/contractor. But i had to travel all the time and the places id go wasnt luxurious by any means. Freezin my ass off in south Dakota or Minnesota. I made alot of money but its hard work and u have to know wtf ur doing the x-ray all youre welds and could be really stressful at times. Id much rather have a nice office job making 80k a year wearing nice clothes around fine honeys rather than welding and making a 100k a year dirty as fuck no bitches and stuck in the middle of nowhere freezing or about to pass out frim a heat stroke in the summer working up to 17 hours a day 7 days a week. Cool thing was i could work like 6 months strait and take off for 4 or 5 months

Last edited: