Turntable question/upgrade?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Right now I'm running off a pair of shitty gemini turntables, belt-drive, stock cartridge, gemini mixer (worst quality they have), a pair of $30 head phones.

I have a couple hundred to throw around right now (200-300).

What do you recommend I buy? Should I save up for a new turntable, save up for 2 new tables (I scratch, so I really only use the left turntable right now, while playing the instrumental off the right), needles, mixer, etc?

What part of the tables makes the biggest difference?

I eventually plan to upgrade everything I have. Hopefully in a few years my skill will be at the level that merits a set of Technics. For now I'm just kind of building my way up. Any advice?

Mar 25, 2003
myspace.com
very important feature u want if u gonna dj and that is direct drive tables. No belt drive, not good. I would recomend you get one good table with a scrath needle. The next upgrade would be your mixer. And of course, upgrade yo records at swap meets and yard sales. get at me if u got more q's

Mar 25, 2003
myspace.com
i got the TTX's (new numarks) and i love them for my samples. it has a pitch lock function and the digi scrren tells u the bpm of the record playing. The only thing is that they cost around 400 bucks. E bay either the TTx's or 1200's and u might be able to find a better deal.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
There are ALWAYS used Technic 1200s in the classifieds of the newspaper bro....just save yer cash...

And for the record, for the first 2 years of DJin I used belt drives and it helped me out SO much cause I learned to have a light hand

Mar 21, 2005
www.myspace.com
If you have $200-$300 to spend, I would definatly buy a used technics 1200 mk2 off of ebay. You could use that table for the left side. Then I would save another $200-$300 and get one more 1200 off ebay. Keep it moving from there. Upgrade your mixer next. If you are patient , you can watch different items on ebay and make a killing! I have never had a problem with anything that I have purchased from ebay. Good luck.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Thanks all. I wasn't about to buy a pair of Technics just cuz of the price, but my dumbass never thought about hitting up e-bay.

DJ Mark 7 - I feel you on the light hand thing. I was practicing on my shit for about 6 months, and then I went to my boys house and started workin on the 1200s, and it felt like I was playing two different instruments, like night and day. That belt drive shit with a plastic platter really makes you focus.

What about needles? How big of a difference do they make?

May 31, 2005
get the shure m44-7s, but if yur not tryna spend that much i say go with the Stanton 520s (i think thats the model) the "official DJ Craze Needles", but make sure u get some decent tables first, like mark, i used belt drive tables for about 2 years and it does help out alot when u get yur 1200s, i say just work with what you got while stackin yur bread for some 1200s, trust me homie i been there, you'll be glad you did later on