Need help

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

TROLL

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2003
I bought 2 sound cards a "E-mu 0404" and a "Turtle beach riveira". Ive been trying to do midi with both with cake walk music creator with no success. I get no midi input on either cards. the keyboard Im using is a dj-xII with the patterns and a midi bulk send function. Im still trying to figure out the bulk send but is there anything else im overlooking.????

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
1. Be patient when posting questions and seeking help. Many of the top helpers (myself included) are BUSY helping others, working on projects or making $$$$$$$$$$$.

2. Provide enough information so people can help you. Yes you gave your soundcard info but what about the recording program your trying to use? It could be something as small as the program filtering sysex messages. Did you think about that?

3. How do you have your cables connected? A lot of times people can't get the proper midi connect because they don't have the proper connection.

4. A lot of people here might not be familiar with your card. However some of us may take it upon ourselves to look into the card and see how to properly set it up in conjuction with your gear.

5. Is your midi device ENABLED in your pc? If not click start-control panel-sounds and audio devices-AUDIO and make sure your midi device is enabled.

6. Is your keyboard capable of syncing as a SLAVE?

:HGK:

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
HERESY said:
1. Be patient when posting questions and seeking help. Many of the top helpers (myself included) are BUSY helping others, working on projects or making $$$$$$$$$$$.

2. Provide enough information so people can help you. Yes you gave your soundcard info but what about the recording program your trying to use? It could be something as small as the program filtering sysex messages. Did you think about that?

3. How do you have your cables connected? A lot of times people can't get the proper midi connect because they don't have the proper connection.

4. A lot of people here might not be familiar with your card. However some of us may take it upon ourselves to look into the card and see how to properly set it up in conjuction with your gear.

5. Is your midi device ENABLED in your pc? If not click start-control panel-sounds and audio devices-AUDIO and make sure your midi device is enabled.

6. Is your keyboard capable of syncing as a SLAVE?

:HGK:
bump

Aug 8, 2003
1. Sorry if i seemed impaitent but i also wanted somewhere to post that joke and thought i could keep my post visible at the same time.

2. Im using cakewalk music creator.

3.the connections are the one thing i know i have 100% correct on. i also have like 3 diffrent type of adapters, usb, midi controller and one that even came with the sound card.

4. this is the one im most unsure of. Ive exhausted my efforts to best suit my board with card. i really dont know what else i can do.

5. yeah, ive 2 diffrent settings for both cards. ive tried both still with no success which kind of points to the board as a problem.

6.im not sure of that. i bought it off my homie and had to download the manual from the site. i know it has a midi bulk send feature and im wondering if i need to buy a mixing unit that can recieve the information correctly then send it to the computer from that. Ive found that i can send the info through to the sysex and it says its recieveing the info but afterwards i dont know how to bring it to the pallete.

i really appreciate any time that has been spent helping me out and ill be patient in the response... :classic:

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
the reason i ask is you said something about a mixer that can filter midi into the computer.. that doesnt really make sense to me.. but then again, i usually just slave my workstation to my pc, and record audio tracks into the pc... i dont really fuck with midi other then 1~making my pc tell my workstation when to play and when to stop, and 2~to control my sound modules.

let me know what your trying to do with the midi bulk function and ill try to help you figure your problem

Apr 25, 2002
Heresy is exactly right when he said most of the top helpers here are usually busy. You might get lucky once in a while but we normally arn't available to explain everything the second a new question pops up. Have some patience and as long as you're cool about it, you'll get the answers you're looking for.

Bulk dumps are typically used to dump patches, banks, internally stored seqence/song data, configurations, etc. Are you trying to backup existing data from your keyboard? Are you trying to use Cakewalk as a sequencer and slave your keyboard to it? Are your midi send & receive channels set correctly? Is midi enabled? Did you turn the keyboard on BEFORE loading Cakewalk?

Let's start by telling us exactly what it is you're trying to do...

TROLL

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2003
Sick Wid It said:
Heresy is exactly right when he said most of the top helpers here are usually busy. You might get lucky once in a while but we normally arn't available to explain everything the second a new question pops up. Have some patience and as long as you're cool about it, you'll get the answers you're looking for.

Bulk dumps are typically used to dump patches, banks, internally stored seqence/song data, configurations, etc. Are you trying to backup existing data from your keyboard? Are you trying to use Cakewalk as a sequencer and slave your keyboard to it? Are your midi send & receive channels set correctly? Is midi enabled? Did you turn the keyboard on BEFORE loading Cakewalk?

Let's start by telling us exactly what it is you're trying to do...
Ok, my keyboard has patterns on it. im trying to record them to the bank and send it through to the computer so i can edit it on cakewalk. i can save them to the bank but sending the info into cakewalk is a diffrent story. I can get to the sysex and it shows like 1343 bytes recieved after its done loading. i just cant bring it up onto the pallete. i dont think my board is slave compatible
thx sicwidit, nonstop and heresey :cool:

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
well if its not slave compatable... all i can think of is record the tracks as a wav file, with the metronome before each track, and line them up when you have em all recorded.. its tedeous, but you get all your shit tracked out...

damn that brings back frustrating memories when i only had 2ins and 2 outs...

but im not a midi expert bro, so im not sure about all the sysex and errors and all that, i just record all my tracks wav and edit from there

TROLL

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2003
thx homie, the main problem is getting the loaded info into the track. so im kinda hoping someone who knows how to use the midi bulk send and cakewalk in conjunction skims this thread too

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Many people like to use a sequencer to record their performances into their computer using software like Cubase or Cakewalk. Sequencing requires MIDI out, but the DJX-II does not have the required MIDI out capability required. Yamaha's solution to this is to suggest that you buy an additional keyboard or midi controller to use with your sequencer software

Something I came across while researching the unit. You can forget syncing the unit to the computer via slave/master relationship....

http://www.epinions.com/content_84468665988

This keyboard deals with patterns, loops and phrases you can download. From what I've read you must use midi dumps to get the stuff to the computer. Do you have the patch lists?

http://www.yamahadjx.com/english/top_e.htm <---keyboard site

Aug 8, 2003
ok i know im prolly kickin a dead horse but can i use cakewalk as a sequencing software or does it have to be yahmaha specific?? i already have my midi controller in the mail..

Apr 25, 2002
You can use any midi controller with any sequencing software as long as the software supports midi and you are able to connect the controller to your computer (joystick adapter cable, usb, firewire, whatever).

Aug 8, 2003
Sick Wid It said:
You can use any midi controller with any sequencing software as long as the software supports midi and you are able to connect the controller to your computer (joystick adapter cable, usb, firewire, whatever).
thx playa. i think im set now. finally huh??