Chamilllionaire Interview from cham.com

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
This is from Chamillionaire.com
----------------------------------------

First off, before we get into this interview i wanna thank the people who submitted questions, i took a few and i combined a few, shouts to yall whos i used, Now enjoy...

Krak: First off give a little backround on yourself.

Cham: I started of doing mixtape verses with swishahouse and created a big buzz in the South from doing mixtape freestyles. Me and Paul Wall were a duo at that time so we both broke off from Swishahouse and started our own group called "The Color Changin' Click." We started makin our own mixtapes creatin a bigger buzz for ourselves than we already had and when we put out our first album which was a duo album called "Get Ya Mind Correct," it ended up being one of the most successful indie albums to come outta Houston. After the success of that album and a whole bunch of mixtapes later, me and Paul parted ways and he went back to Swishahouse who signed a deal with the majors and I went and signed a deal with Universal Records.

Krak: Whats the Deal On Paid In Full Records, From Beginning To the end, your outake on it?

Cham: The reason I signed with that label was because at that time I was only doing mixtapes in the streets and didnt really have a real record label established. I knew it would take me a little time to really learn the game before i could eventually put out my own album and be successful. Paid In Full was a local company that was ran by the main dj at 97.9 the box and at that time he had a song called "Down South" that he seemed to have pushed well on his label. See, Paid in Full put out a lot of albums and me and Paul both wanted to take a jump from the mixtapes to puttin out real material so when they came at us with a contract the terms were negotiated and the deal was signed to do some real albums. Me and Paul put out the "Get Ya Mind Correct" and were successful but we were not fully paid. Southwest Wholesale was the distribution company that the album went through and after they folded Paid in Full felt that they didnt have to cut any more checks. When the term on the contract was up I left the label and paul decided to let them put out his solo album. I didnt want to put out any more albums with them and I didnt have to so I chose to keep goin wit my own company and get serious about standing on my own. They didnt live up to the name of their label and only paid me partial. To be honest in over 2 years on that label I recieved probably 30 somethin thousand. Thats's close to 15 thousand a year and I know people that work fast food and make more money than that. I was still gettin money doin my mixtape thing in the streets but i had a very good reason to not record anymore with them. I was on all the records that they were comin out with and did my own that sold ghetto gold in the south and wasnt rewarded. They tried to put all the old material they had left and put it out under the title that I had been promoting for my solo album title, in a deperate attempt to fool the public I guess. I have been tellin the fans not to support it but most of them are smart enough to realize what they did was fake. In the past this info would have been family business but them guys aint family with me because family doesnt do that to each other.

Krak: With all the material you come up with for your fans in the past few years, what do you do to keep your material fresh? Many Down South artist have had their music fresh and to keep consistant material out there for their fans (at least the ultra-successful ones). What do you plan on doing to make sure that your material is fresh and that more and more people will hear your music and what you have to say?

Cham: I do market research on myself and pay atention to what the streets are sayin about my music. It doesnt hurt my feelings if someone says they dont like somethin about my music and doesnt get me overly hyped when a fan tells me everything I do is perfect. The term listen more than you talk describes me because you dont hear my voice as much as the next man but that doesnt mean im not gonna have my turn to speak. The difference is that what im gonna say when I do is gonna catch your attention more because I took the time to listen to how you felt. Some rappers dont care about that they just feed a bunch of garbage to you even though they know you want to hear somethin different. I have always reinvented myself and thats why im still here and thats why I havn't lost any respect and only moved upward. The content on all of my material in the past is different than today but I was smart enough to not switch styles overnight and shock my audience with somethin they aint ready for. I just gradually make the necessary changes and try to be in the middle of what people wanna hear. You cant please everyone but you can meet them halfway.

Krak: How has the past couple of months been for you since you've signed the deal?

Cham: Other than the hate that comes with havin more money it's been really good for me. A lot of weight was lifed off my shoulders when I signed but not because I felt any pressure to sign, it was because I was workin so hard handling a lot of stuff by myself. I was actually the person that was droppin the mix cds off in the retail stores, the person booking my shows, the person handling my website, and the person keepin everything together with what I was doin in the streets. When you get into corporate america there is always someone you can call that can help you handle stuff. I was making a lot of money doin what I was doing but I was working so hard to keep up that life for me and everybody around me. There were so many stores, promoters, and people all calling me at the same time and I can admit it was a little too much for me to handle myself. Since I signed I have been recording more than I ever have. I stay in the studio from morning to night with different producers trying to make a classic album. I was given a lot of money to sign and I could still be chasing every show and underground mixtape dollar right now but I really dont need it right now because im concentrating on the music and thats more important to me. I have turned down a lot of shows and people wanting verses but it will pay off later.

Krak: Alot of people want to know what they can expect from you on a nationwide level, what are you aiming for?

Cham: They can expect a lot of creativity, bangin azz beats, refreshing material, and the truth. All the ingredients that a classic album should have will be what people hear in my album. Music is supposed to catch your emotions and my album will catch all of the emotions you have and even the emotions you never knew you had. I am a student of the game and I think most of the people makin rap music nowadays are just following the person in front of them. The South is hot right now but I dont think people are seeing enough of how it should be represented. I think a lot of people outside of the south respect the sales but not the actual music that we are makin out here and im gonna try to change that from beginning to end. The material on my album is guaranteed to be better than all my past material and you can quote me on that one.

Krak: Have you wroked with any artist that youve always wanted to work with?

Cham: I like workin with people that I know are good people and that will tell me their honest feelings about my music. So my answer would be Killa Mike & Bun B cause they are always honest wit me and I know they are good people. I was recording in Atl at Big Boi from Outcast's studio before I even got my deal and the vibe up there is always good and they show the meaning of southern hospitality. I was workin with them before the major label deal but with most people an artist will meet it just business. I have worked with a lot of the biggest and most respected people in the game but I get more excited about the outcome of the music that is made than the person im in the studio with.

Krak: You and Davin banner did a song called "Talkin That Talk" how did that come to be?

Cham: David Banner records in Atlanta also and I would bump into him all the time out there. There was a track that I wanted to get from him before I signed but when I got in the studio with him he didnt have it anymore so he gave me a track to replace it. The song that I originaly made to the track that he didnt have was the one that universal heard and said I should do for "The Longest Yard" soundtrack. Since he didnt have the beat anymore I just made a new song to the track that he gave me. While I was in the other studio recording it he would come in and check on the progress and he told me he would spit a verse on it. He spit his verses and I finished the song and turned it in. Universal loved it and said it was going on the soundtrack. The movie drops in may so people will probably start hearing the song at the end of march. I wanted to put it in the streets early just because I think its a good record but i dont want to mess up the soundtrack thing and do it too early.

=========================================
Part1

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
part2

Krak: Do you think its important for you to release a CLUB Hit as a first single because that jump-starts a persons popularity and sales big to the public?

Cham: A hit record is a hit record reguardless of if its a club song or not. You just gotta get in the studio and do what is natural because when you start tryin to make a carbon copy of a certain type of song then you are not being yourself and it will probably show. The people that are familiar with my music know that I tend to do more uptempo stuff anyways so that's closer to my specialty anyways. I'm not gonna force it but im gonna make sure that i have somethin for everybody.

Krak: Are You Planning Any Instore Apperances For Your Major Debut Album?

Cham: Yea. Yall know how I get down. I was barely at home before I signed and its not gonna change now because I gotta reach a lot of markets outside of my region now. Thats one of the two reasons that I didnt buy a new crib after I signed. I really dont neeed a bigger one than the one I have and im not there that much. I have a movie room in the crib and I have only watched one thing since I got the crib and that was the Lakers vs, the Heat game on Christmas day.

Krak: People Saying Mike and slim got singles and videos, When Can We Expect a single or video from you?

Cham: When I get close to finished we will release a single. I dont wanna release one too early and then be rushing to finish my album. When my single is on the radio I dont need to be worrying about recording, I need to be in the streets workin the record. Thats the proper way to do it and i realize people might be gettin impatient and anticapting what im gonna bring but trust me you will love the album when it drops. I still have a lot of other big producer sessions on the schedule. Ill be in New York from the march 8th thru the 14th and miami for the week following that and then back in ATl for the week after that. I will have seen everybody I need to see when im done with these sessions.

Krak: The Website? People Say Your Sick Of It, Thats Why You Dont Get On It, Lil Do They Know The Change Underway... Speak On The Site

Cham: Naw mayne. I expect some of the fans to act a little crazy because thats whay fans do. Even those people that spend their whole day on websites talkin down on an artist are really fans. Its kinda overwhelming to have people that are so interested with every detail of your life and a lot of the online fans are like that and a lot of them dont realize that we all just normal people. The website gonna be changed up and there will be additional websites also. Im just the person that has to give the O.K. and I have just been busy with my recording schedule.

Krak: What Is Your Standpoint With Mike Jones As Of Now, Alot Of People Sayin Mixtape Messiah 2 Is Gonna Be About Him, Some Say Its About Paul And Paid In Full No comment about Messiah 2.

Cham: Just go get it when it drops. As long as they keep my name out of their conversations they will be alright. They should be focused on their careers and not be worried about me. I only have to do what I do when someone been doin somethin to me. I made my point with messiah 1 and I am smart enough to know what people want to hear from me musically but im also smart enough to know when I need to check somebody who's sayin my name too much. The choice is on them. That goes for watts and everybody else who is taking sides. The single still tippin is doin good so get ya fat azz on the road and keep it up..lol..Everybody is callin me tryin to tell me to keep the peace. I dont want to have any change of heart meetings I just want them to do they thing wit out hatin on me like I have been sayin they were doin before messiah 1. Paid in full just gonna be mad reguardless cuz I got them in court. No comment on Paul.

Krak: When Can We Expect, And What Can We Expect Outta Mixtape Messiah 2?

Cham: April. You can expect Koopa doin his thang lyrically. This time I dont dumb the flow down like I did on the last one. There are a lot of peple listenin world wide now so I gotta show em what im really bout.

Krak: Youve Got A Buzz Going That Your Hookin Up With Alot Of Dj's And Droppin Alot Of Mixtapes Before The Major Album, Which Cd's Are These?

Cham: Whoo kid & Chamillionaire "The Truth" will drop soon. I actually got a part 2 that me and whookid gonna do later. This one is more of a greatest hits wit some stuff people have never heard just to get people familiar with Chamillionaire. Stat quo & me got a mixtape that we did thats gangsta. Its not me singin all the hooks and its a raw and more laid back. It has the grown man music artists on it and some talent outta cleveland, color changin click, Bun B, Solja Slimm, Bg and some other features. It's not all that happy music that yall are used to but thats what I like about it. Im the mixtape messiah so i will have done somethin wit all the biggest djs before the album but im not gonna say too much . Niggaz be hatin and tryin to put salt in my game.

Krak: As Far As Producers, Flow Of The Album, Promotion Behind it, What Can People Expect Out Of "The Sound Of Revenge"

Cham: My best material.

Krak: For The Past Year Or So, If Your Fans Came Out To See You They Noticed A Camera Man With You, Are You Still Putting Out A Dvd With Sound Of Revenge?

Cham: Im not gonna say what the sound of revenge is gonna be yet. I have so much footage. All the shows, messiah instores, trips to all the big events, and even stuff that could mess up some peoples lives. Hopefuly ill drop all the of the footage except the footage that wouldnt be funny to a couple people. I actually almost dropped a dvd at the time when mike jones dropped his cd but I knew people were gonna see that dvd they did as a joke and I decided to keep mine for a rainy day. I dont think we gonna have any rainy days. Im not trippin. There is too much drama and crazy stuff goin on in the rap game right now anyways.

Krak: Whats The Laydown On Chamillitary Ent, From The Artists, The Line up, Your Plans...etc

Cham: Me, Rasaq, 50/50 Twin, & O.G. Ron C. Ill expand later. Im focused right now and I gotta do well for everything else to blow the way I want it to.

Krak: Ima List Some Names... In 3 Words Or Under Speak Your Mind... Jones, Paul, Magno, Twin, Yung Ro, Lil Flip, Slim, Watts, Ron C, Old School House, Southwest Wholesale, Paid In Full, Stat Quo

Cham: Jones: 5th Amendment Paul: No damn comment Magno: real azz nigga Twin: Stay down mayne Yung Ro: Should trust Nobody Lil Flip: gettin real money Slim: Represents Houston Right Watts: was the best Ron C: Loyal azz nigga: AKA "The Best DJ" Old School House: I appreciate it Southwest wholesale: $ down drain Paid in Full: Local 4 life Stat Quo: Gonna shock people
-------------------------------------------------------

part2

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
part3

Krak: Any Talks Of Going On Tour? And Word Is Out Now You And Banners Track Was Done For "The Longest Yard" Soundtrack, Can We Expect Anything Else Big?

Cham: yea a lot of stuff I wont speak on thats pretty big. Universal is a real big machine and they have a lot of pull. People will see when the time is right.

Krak: Do You Still Have Mike Frost Doing The Cover For "The Sound Of Revenge", When Can We Expect To See It?

Cham: Yea hes doin the cover just not taking the pictures. There is a guy that has done the photos for all the biggest artists in the world that we scheduled the photo shoot with. Its gonna be serious.

Krak: What Is Your Plans On Pushing "Texas", Youve Stated Many Times That Atl Stays Together And Thats Why They Blow, Now That Texas Is On Its Way Up, Whats Your Part In Making This State Stick Together?

Cham: The best thing i can do now is focus on my music because the more I focus on that the better my chances of being successful. If I get close to that top spot then that alone will make Texas look good because Texas will have another real nigga representin for it. Texas will hjave a real nigga that is gonna keep it all the way Texas and show some other Texas niggaz some love. Them niggaz in Atl or Georgia might be beefin amonst each other but the reast of the world doesnt know it because they keep the music all the way ATl. In every video from an Atl artist I can guarantee you that you gonna see some more Atl niggaz in the video and that's what makes them look like they are united. We dont have to be friends but as long as everybody is doin them then Houston gonna be alright in the eye of the public. Even if there are a couple gimmick rappers here and there.

Krak: People Keep Wanting To Know, Whats The Details On Your Deal?

Cham: Let em keep wanting to know. Wondering has never hurt anybody.Lol Im not alowed to get specific. In interviews im supposed to say "Im not at liberty to discuss the details of my deal." That sounds a little too hollywood for me so I would rather just keep it playa and say im happy. At first I didnt understand why I shouldnt say but i finally started understanding after it was explained to me. The "More money more problems" saying only applies when people know everything about your money. Besides, I have never been one to tell anybody what I have in my pocket.

Krak: Where Are You Standing As Far As The Underground Game? You StilL Gonna Be Droppin?

Cham: I just dropped a new one yesterday called "Chamillitary." I aint gonna stop the underground thing. The mixtape messiah title would have to be handed to someone else if i did.

Krak: What Type Of Music Where You Raised On?

Cham: Wasnt a lot of rap. My parents were not too into rap. My mother started gettin cool wit it as we grew a lil older. We kinda listened to it on our own.

Krak: Whats The Deal On 50/50

Cham: He's good. Just got his ride painted. Gettin on mixtape freeestyles wit me. Ready to get it crackin.

Krak: What Inspires You? What Is Your Drive?

Cham: The people around me and my family. I do all this for them. If there was no one else then i would be spendin all my money crazy and would be livin it up like a rap star. Just wanna lead by example and leave a legacy as being a success and not doin it the way the followers did it. Showin people there is another way to get what you want outta life. I also love music.

Krak: Was rapping a natural thing for you, or was it a combination of talent and hard-work?

Cham: Hard work got me to the point where it comes natural for me now. Sometimes I think up some stuff and get excited about the song like a fan would. Im also my biggest critic. I take my time and try to perfect my craft so each time you hear me it will sound better than the last time.

Krak: Where Do You See Yourself In A Few Years? 5 years?

Cham: Success is the only thing I see in my future. I have always though that way and always said that I would be succesful. I take a lot of chances because I have a strong confidence that I can make a situation work for me. Im the person that believes I could jump over the grand canyon if you gave me enough running room. In my life too many people have been tellin me something isnt gonna wokk and the stuff that they say that about is stuff that works for me. Its always been that way. Failing so many times when I was coming up gave me the success is the only option additude.

Krak: Whats Something Your Fans Dont Know About You, Just One Thing...

Cham: Damn they probably could tell me somethin about me that I dont know. I get annalyzed so much that I think they know more than I do about my life. Ummmm im a sagatarius (I dont know much about that sign stuff though),I pay 10 pecent of my money to God and go to church every sunday im in Houston, Dont smoke, or sip drank, and the streets still love a nigga cuz im a leader not a follower. I have 2 brothers, a sister, 1 step sister, and 2 step brothers. All of em live 5- 10 minutes from where I live.

Krak: The Street Team... Whatever Happend to it?

Cham: After mixtape messiah 2 . Ima hit the streets strong. I just gotta get an exact date. I dont want any pushbacks.

Krak: You Got Any Shout Outs?

Cham: Yea shout out to everybody that been down since the first forum that dont switch sides. Its still nawfside and still chamillitary wit me and thats all its gonna be.

Krak: This is The Say Whats On Ya Mind Time, If You Got Something To Say To Anyone At All, Say It...

Cham: Don't believe them hatin rumors yall might hear about me. I have never stole from anyone, didnt steal anyone's girl, never cheated anyone out of money in my life. Im not as much of an angry rapper as some people might think by lookin at the pictures they see and listenin to my last mixtape. Ima cool nigga reguardless of what some people may say. Anybody see me u aint gotta be sceptical to holla at a nigga damn this a long a$$ interview krak but its all good I hope they appreciate this took me a while.... i gotta go move some cds

---------------------------------------------

part3

May 3, 2002
pretty nice.. he didnt give away too much.. but u cant blame him.. too many people tryin to get all up in his bizness.. The Sound of Revenge is gonna wreck the industry.. i put $$$ on that..

UGT

Sicc OG
Sep 15, 2002
YES INDEED AHHAHA I LUV IT been bumpin cham since he was wit the house hes deffinetly way ahead of his time his so good people r now startin to realise it and catch up a lil cham gonna re arrange the game
the souths future is sucure

this dude is the mutha fucken real deal 100% fuckin true husla and a good person

Aug 7, 2002
hell fuckin yea..chamillionaire is fuckin cool...feelin his music more and more....ur right bout the sound of revenge....can't wait...i'm sho it's gon hit harder then get yo mind correct...