Can anyone reccommend some AFI albums (Smurf/B-Buzz)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I'm usually not a big fan of their style of rock music but I am feeling their new single a lot ( I think it's called Mrs. Murder or something like that.)

How are their albums? What album(s) is the best? Do most of their songs have the same feel as that single? If not how would you best describe their sound/style?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can supply some info.

Nuttkace

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I know everyone is entitled their opinions, but I didn't ask if the group was good or not. I asked for some reccommendations because I was feeling one of their songs, so your rambling about how gay/shitty you think they are was a waste of both of our time. Like I said before I usually don't like their style of music at all...but I like the single so I'm going to check out some more of their stuff.

Thanks for stopping by though.

Smurf or B-Buzz where are you at?

Nuttkace

Mar 18, 2003
As any long lived AFI fan might tell you, their older albums are better. However, being that I have only recently started listening to them over the past couple of years, I will tell you that there best album is Sing the Sorrow. Their older sound is a lot less "poppy" if you will, of course that is hard to imagine with his voice, but thats the best way I can describe it. Definitley more punk than the modern day transition of the genre. If you want to listen to the songs that got me started on them check out The Leaving Song Pt. 2 and Silver and Cold, both great songs - I'm sure you have heard them somewhere. Most importantly though, the new song (and the entire new album) is nothing like what they are used to doing. So don't expect to find other material like it.

Thats the best I can do for you right now, hopefully it will tide you over until B-Buzz or Smurf come along. Good band though, very good. Amazing songwriters they are, lyrics to just blow you away.

PS: Decemberunderground torrents are available. ;)

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Good looking out Nitro. And no funny enough this is the first time I have heard any of their stuff. I have heard of them for years but their look (I know, stupid reason) kept me from wanting to check out their stuff. Then I heard that song on the radio and I was just digging it. It's a poppy type of punk/rock that I'm not usually into at all, but I think atleast that song is tight IMO.

I usually like a heavier or more rugged type of rock (all genres of rock) so if their older stuff is less polished/poppy I'll prob. like it even more. I'm going to go download those two songs right now. Good looking out once again.

Nuttkace

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Ya December leaked a couple of days ago, so far Ive heard nothing but good reviews of it. Gonna wait till 6-6-6, myself, to add to the coolness of it haha.
Anyways, if you're into the Miss Murder sound, you'll like Sing the Sorrow more. Songs like Girls Not Gray and This Celluloid Dream are more that sound. It's a great album, probably my 2nd favorite of theirs.
My favorite is The Art of Drowning. Great songs include Days of the Phoenix, The Despair Factor, and Morningstar.

Black Sails In the Sunset is a dope album too. Kind of the same sound as Drowning. Great songs are Narrative of Soul Against Soul, The Prayer Position, No Poetic Device, and God Called In Sick Today (yay for my sig haha)

All three are their most recent albums, their older stuff is a lot more punk. But I'd recomend Sing the Sorrow for you.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
"Sing The Sorrow" and "ANY OTHER ALBUM BY AFI" are so different that it almost doesnt sound like the same group. All of the long-time hardcore fans will usually tell you that Sing the Sorrow is crap and that AFI sold out with it. I dont really feel that way but I absolutely understand how that can be said legitimately. It might be semi-true.

BUT... theres a reason STS sold twice as many copies as any of their other CD's (or more, it went platinum so god damn fast). And thats because it really probably is the most "aesthetically" appealing produced music from them. Almost all of the songs have tunes that really catch your attention and you remember them immediately, even after just 1 listen. Its a lot softer, but more melodic, than anything they put out previously. (its still not soft music though, its still semi-fast paced punk rock).

I didnt get into them until a few months before STS. So "Art of Drowning" was my first album i listened to by them and its definitely my favorite. I think it would be my favorite even if i didnt start with it - the music on it takes more time to get into than STS, but its more rewarding in the end if you like punk rock. Especially "Days of the Phoenix", that song is so fucking sick.

The older the release, the more intense and erratic their music is. So it really depends on your preference in the punk rock genre. I like most of it to a degree but sometimes i just cant get into their older shit because its so fast-paced and "clashing" sounding.

I uploaded Days of the Phoenix if you want a sample of what to expect from AoD:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=78C0C1DC4EDDB336

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I've heard totally new direction from 2 longtime fans who've heard the leak. I can't wait to hear it. I want to see if they can continue the streak of awesome intro, awesome last song, awesome hidden song.
haha I cant wait for Smurf to pwn the fuck out of this thread. He makes me feel like I just heard them last week and Ive been a fan for nearly 7 years.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
haha nice, hopefully Smurf schools us with the real deal on the info

I bet he probably doesnt like STS huh? Damn i know so many AFI fans that cant stand it, lol. I understand why... but i still think its great music. Silver & Cold is awesome, so is Bleed Black. Celluloid Dream prob my favorite though.

May 16, 2002
the first afi cd i got was "very proud of ya" like 7 years ago. My fav afi song is "he who laughs last" off of that album. I do like all of their work but i favor the older stuff to the newer stuff. Im excited to hear the new album but im gonna wait till the day it drops too. Art of drowning is probably my second favorite though...days of the phoenix is such a great song.

Mar 18, 2003
To those asking the direction of the new album- as I stated in my first post it is different than anything they have come out with. The album (torrent) is available to be downloaded so go ahead and find out for yourself.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Thanks for all the reccommendations everyone. I picked up Black Sails in the Sunset and Art of Drowning today. I'm about to give them some spins in a little while. I'll let you know what I think.

Nuttkace

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Good looking out Smurf. That helped alot. I'm really digging both Black Sails in the Sunset and Art of Drowning alot so far. I like the Art of Drowning a little more though right now. I plan on picking up all their stuff now so I will get Sing the Sorrow next.

Good looking out to everyone who responded.

Nuttkace