'Brazilian Stonehenge' discovered

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 8, 2003
Brazilian archaeologists have found an ancient stone structure in a remote corner of the Amazon that may cast new light on the region's past.

The site, thought to be an observatory or place of worship, pre-dates European colonisation and is said to suggest a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy.

Its appearance is being compared to the English site of Stonehenge.

It was traditionally thought that before European colonisation, the Amazon had no advanced societies.

Winter solstice

The archaeologists made the discovery in the state of Amapa, in the far north of Brazil.

A total of 127 large blocks of stone were found driven into the ground on top of a hill.

The layout suggests a temple or an observatory

Well preserved and each weighing several tons, the stones were arranged upright and evenly spaced.

It is not yet known when the structure was built, but fragments of indigenous pottery found at the site are thought to be 2,000 years old.

What impressed researchers was the sophistication of the construction.

The stones appear to have been laid out to help pinpoint the winter solstice, when the sun is at its lowest in the sky.

It is thought the ancient people of the Amazon used the stars and phases of the moon to determine crop cycles.

Although the discovery at Amapa is being compared to Stonehenge, the ancient stone circle in southern England, the English site is considerably older.

It is thought to have been erected some time between 3000 and 1600 BC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4767717.stm

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
That's tight...I thought it was amusing how they said they didn't think they had any advanced societies before Europeans came over....People are fucking morons, Europeans are pretty fucking stupid actually. But that's just my opinion.

Feb 14, 2006
mine too.

but man thats a trip to read up on. we got so much more shit we dont know about yet. everythings in bits and pieces.crazy.

Jan 6, 2006
Man thats crazy how people have searched through south america for years and they barely found out about these stones not too long ago.
makes u think that we should spend more money researching the earth rather than researching outer space. To tell u the truth i think it would be better to build a vessel that can travel to the depths of the ocean than to the darkness of outer space. We try to discover new things about earth

Nov 1, 2004
^^ i think that would be cool as fuck, to search the depths of the sea im sure there are a ton of species that we dont know about.
and hey, maybe we can finally find atlantis
lol

pAc0

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Enro_712 said:
Man thats crazy how people have searched through south america for years and they barely found out about these stones not too long ago.
makes u think that we should spend more money researching the earth rather than researching outer space. To tell u the truth i think it would be better to build a vessel that can travel to the depths of the ocean than to the darkness of outer space. We try to discover new things about earth
very good idea.......the sea is like a whole diff. planet underwater.....the biggest mammals live in the sea.

imagine if the sea was empty all the valleys and mountainous areas we would discover......