Why do fans care so much about how much a player is WORTH?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
This is a post from the Seahawks board and I thought is was interesting. Thoughts? Do you feel the poster is correct? Incorrect? How do YOU put worth on a player.
I wish fans had NO clue on the paydays of NFL players because no matter who you talk to from board to board, inevitably, you'll hear the phrase "let the guy go because he's not WORTH the money" or "we don't want him because he's not WORTH it." Phrases like, "I'd rather have Marshall than pick #6 because a rookie isn't WORTH $50mm." Who cares? Why not have a #6 w/ potential, a #14 w/ potential and Marshall? It's not our money. Why do fans care?

Why do we care as Hawk fans and especially in an uncapped year?

Who really cares how much we have to pay the 6th pick? The 14th? Why care? None of these guys is WORTH the money, but it's NOT our money, so who cares? OK, ticket prices could go up $50. Big whoop deee ddoooo.

While conservative wisdom says the Hawks must be prudent with their spending and only pay players that are worth it." When in the last decade did we ever have to pass on being able to sign a free agent or have to cut a player because we were too close to the cap? How about NEVER. So why care about WORTH?

Ruskell was arguably the 2nd or 3rd BIGGEST spender in free agent / rookie garbage contracts. Branch, Kerney, Hill, Curry, TJ, Duckett, JJ, Cole. None of these guys were WORTH their contract, but who really cares? It didn't preclude TR from spending and didn't cause us any salary cap issues.

I'm not sure why fans are so concerned with a players WORTH? As if we sign a player at a bargain compared to production we get an extra W at season's end. Put the best football players on the field so I can watch Quality NFL Hawk football and I DO NOT care if they are WORTH it or not and wish fans did not know how much they were being paid.

Why do fans care so much about WORTH and money?

Sep 29, 2003
because its fun to micro-manage your favorite team.....

I, and most of you as well, could probably write a book on this topic but the thread would be filled with images of the panda "hold up blood i aint readin all that shit".......this thread is probably gonna be a long one..

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
uncapped doesn't actually mean uncapped. there are still limitations on spending. that and nfl franchises are businesses, they still need to turn a profit. so overspending on someone that doesn't produce, will ultimately hurt the team.

Mar 16, 2005
I can tell you right now whoever wrote that isnt a season ticket holder.

Heres why I think that and also why i think we care

1) season tickets holders DO care if tickets go up $50, the tickets arent cheap to begin with, and now they sign a big contract or 2 we season ticket holders feel it not only in ticket price but usually also raised parking fees as well as concessions.

2) We care because we want to see our team succed, and sometimes that means not taking on big names at big contracts because it doesnt make sense at that point other then the brass trying to accomplish what I said in #1) above.

3) Its part of the feeling of OUR TEAM. we watch, we onvest our time, our money, sometime vacation time, etc... We like to feel we have a say and expressing what we feel about certain players or contracts gives us that feeling.

Mar 16, 2005
To answer another part of your question, how do I put a worth on player. I guess thats hard to answer. I would rather a player with above average skills for moderate money than big names big contracts who usually also come with attitudes...see cutler and marshall for denvers example.

Are Cutler and Marshall worth big contracts with thier talents...OF COURSE! But to me you are representing not only yourself, your team, but you are also representing your fans, city, state, etc...

And when players like marshall feel like they dont have to practice, boot balls around and bat down passes on purpose it not only makes them look selfish but it ruins the practice for the qb throwing the batted balls... if marshalls going to bat them down whats the incentive for the qb to throw to him? so in turn it just creates a big unneeded eye sore and to me it drops their value.

I would rather have an eddie royal and jabbar gaffney who do everything and more in practice which translates to gametime and off field you dont have to worry about where they are at or what they are doing, are we (team, fans etc...) going to see a marshall for a full 16 games because we are paying higher ticket prices etc... or are we going to see him suspended hurting the team etc...

Nov 24, 2003
uncapped doesn't actually mean uncapped. there are still limitations on spending. that and nfl franchises are businesses, they still need to turn a profit. so overspending on someone that doesn't produce, will ultimately hurt the team.

Exactly!!

No offense to anyone, but OP from the Seahawks board in an idiot.

Salary does matter because despite what he seems to think, uncapped doesn't mean limitless.

I would be pissed as fuck if the Hawks signed Seneca Wallace to a 2 year 150 million dollar contract because that limits our ability to sign other, better players plain and simple.

He doesn't seem to think we as fans should care about that. Stupid.