whats the Reason for Reason?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
I was gonna ask this in another thread,but decieded to make a thread.It was regarding fruity loops,but since I never will use fruity loops,i decieded to ask about Reason..being it seems more usable.
My question is...are there any users of this program who is familiar with programing synths,...and users of other software programs like spectrasonics brand and such.....My question is is there limitations to reason that frustrates you,Do you find that the sounds are thin,and too digital....Im sure there are ways to run your sounds through some other software etc...does this become more labor intensive,and less productive in makin beats?Last Time I went to the studio(professional) I brought my mpc and keys and seperated all the tracks on the big console,I asked the engineer about his experience with software,he mentioned a session where someone had reason,and it was alot of work to do what I did in less then 10 minutes...he said reason has no outputs.Im sure one day I will get some soft synths...I will still use the mpc to sequence everything.Also if someone uses something besides reason(not fruity loops) what do they use for there soft synths that they know can really replace the analog beasts such as an SE1 or ATC....I beleive that softsynths probably can replace the motif,and triton,as far as strings,pads,but those growling basses,and them screaming leads that the SE1X or ATCX Im not convinced yet.....I do like to tweak knobs,and not push a mouse,but Im sure one day I will use the best of both worlds..

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
first before i ask what kind of computer you got???

Cuz If You Got Mac You Prolly Want To Use Garageband The Preloaded Stuff Aint THat Bad At All But With A Card For More Sounds And Kits It Becomes Nice

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
biggest problem with it is it doesn't take in audio or has any vst support, for me to sample something. I hve to chop something up in cubase, save it as a wav file and import it into reason. Or you can get recycle their wave editor, which would be real useful. You can do a whole lot with it though, the malstrom synth on there is fuckin great for making your own basses, leads and pads. You can use the combinator to combine any rack in there and form pretty much anything you can think of. Some of the preset sounds are kinda thin though and you might need to tweak em out to make them usable. I'm not real big on alot of the strings they have but you can get some good sample CDs to fix that. Most of the sounds are pretty solid though and running the program doesn't eat up too much CPU power unless you use a lot of shit chained to a bunch of combinators. The effects are pretty good too, definatly worth getting.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
yes said:
first before i ask what kind of computer you got???

Cuz If You Got Mac You Prolly Want To Use Garageband The Preloaded Stuff Aint THat Bad At All But With A Card For More Sounds And Kits It Becomes Nice
the computer I got now aint gonna cut it,If I do buy some software synths they gotta be better then O.K. I would only use something that would be comparable to lets say a proteus2000,SE1,ATC,Fantomx......espceially teh Analog beast like an SE1

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
jayda650 said:
biggest problem with it is it doesn't take in audio or has any vst support, for me to sample something. I hve to chop something up in cubase, save it as a wav file and import it into reason. Or you can get recycle their wave editor, which would be real useful. You can do a whole lot with it though, the malstrom synth on there is fuckin great for making your own basses, leads and pads. You can use the combinator to combine any rack in there and form pretty much anything you can think of. Some of the preset sounds are kinda thin though and you might need to tweak em out to make them usable. I'm not real big on alot of the strings they have but you can get some good sample CDs to fix that. Most of the sounds are pretty solid though and running the program doesn't eat up too much CPU power unless you use a lot of shit chained to a bunch of combinators. The effects are pretty good too, definatly worth getting.
what is your experience with hardware...to make comparisons?have you worked with any other software synths outside of reason........If and when I get soft synths,It probably wouldnt be reason....I sequence with my 3000...I just want to use my computer as a Giant sound module.

Aug 12, 2002
50cal said:
Also if someone uses something besides reason(not fruity loops) what do they use for there soft synths that they know can really replace the analog beasts such as an SE1 or ATC....I beleive that softsynths probably can replace the motif,and triton,as far as strings,pads,but those growling basses,and them screaming leads that the SE1X or ATCX Im not convinced yet.....
I coproduce with Big Saccs a lot and within the first month of working with me, he sold his SE-1 that he got from DJ Quik in favor of Arturia Minimoog V after watching me play with it. I use the GMedia Oddity, GMedia Minimonsta, GMedia Imposcar, and Arturia Minimoog V. They all have different sounds but are very organic and sound as big as the SE-1 ever did, particularly with the "Unison mode" several of the synths have.

I find it far easier to use the VST synths since the patches are automatically saved with the project, as well as more advanced modulation features than the originals. I loved programing the SE-1 via the front panel, but for anything that I had to go to the menus for, it was a royal pain in the ass. If you really want the hands on feel for programming your patches in the VST synths, just get a cheap M-Audio midi controller with knobs and go from there.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
hmm im pretty sure reason has multiple outputs, im damn sure of that, not sure what you meen tho, i haven't worked with hardware, but i was gonna get the kurzweil 2000, but then, kinda blew it off....software is great for me right now, but i recently added sonar for rewire...and i gotta read up on that right now...so the learning curve is pretty steep....and regards to reason...i think its midi sequencing is pretty good, i really like the interface, and its ability for endless combinations is also intriguing. All in all, reason is great. Reason is also great for a huge sound module. I meen u can get tons of refills to accompany the good stock sounds...if u get spectrasonics trilogy, ul get stuck with those same sounds, even tho they are great tho, but ul be stuck with them.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
when you say the patches are automatically saved to the project Im assuming you mean you are sequencing with software...like cubase,logic.I see you work with dazzie Dee(bigg saccs) Yeah I get my inspiration from my boy Nick(raw steel) dazzie knows him when raw was in that killafornia group with chill.....raw has been experimenting with software,but after computer issues he says fuck it...he still has a grip of hardware.I have a jp8000 and I could assign the knobsand sliders to tweak the vsts...it still will be a while til I do the software,but Ive noticed a big difference over the years,I know on paper a computer will do everything a hardware synth,sampler...But I like the hands on approach.....I will never part with my mpc,and I will get another sp1200 there is a sound that I like that each achieve,even though with the right hands someone can tweak the computer to come very close,as far as sequencing the swing,but Im not sure how easy it will be to adjust to the sound you get when you sample with these machines,and Im sure you can some way.....I guess I like to turn on my machine and go to work(actually play) and being that this is a hobby Im just trying to learn and have fun...it feels good to make a beat that you vcan be proud of.When computers take over almost completely,Im gonna collect the classic hip hop pieces,studio440,tr808,sp1200,asr10,s950,but thats only when the prices come down....My realistic set-up Im aiming to get cause now I have the mpc3000,motif rack,and jp8000,tx81z will be

MPC3000 or 4000 for my sequencing and sampling
Fantom x expanded with cards for my midi controller
Yamaha MotifES rack with dx card(so I can use with my talkbox) and Vl card
Studio Electronics Se1x-I want one analog beast
Laptop to be used as a super sound module.

One question I do have is anyone try them sample c.ds where they have the proteus2000 sounds,and novation supernova sample c.d? how do the sound they were supposedly sampled from the original synths themselves

May 1, 2003
50cal said:
One question I do have is anyone try them sample c.ds where they have the proteus2000 sounds,and novation supernova sample c.d? how do the sound they were supposedly sampled from the original synths themselves
Check out this link 50Cal. They got some Supernova and other audio samples here.
www.waveform.dk

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
Reason has multiple outputs, its the computer hardware that might not....if you have, say a M-Audio Audophile 29/96 on your computer then you only have the single stereo ins and stereo outs as well as the same s/pdif, if you have the Delta 10/10 then you have 10 outs, so essentially you can hook up your virtual mixer to the analog and easily dump the song