What is the rap game like

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
i'll try to keep this breif......15 paragraphs or so

First of all, let me thank you for making this thread. Its fun to start shit and get views to peoples threads when they contain songs or websites, cuz they inevitably get more listens and views........but to promote beef.....i'd really rather not.

Now, since i couldn't respond to the other thread: that 10%/90% stuff is bullshit. Its a straight up 50/50, and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. It may be a PHYSICAL 90/10, but mentally, economically and with every other indicator, its even. That being said.....

The investor should expect: A SOLID preliminary tracklisting for a project....a good 15-20 songs, plus a good 5 alternates. The artist should also have a THORO list of contacts & information for every beatmaker and rapper they want to appear on the project, and about how much they are going to cost. They should also list a few preferred studios & graphic designers, and how much all of it will cost.

After this step: They should both work VERY CLOSELY to put together a workable budget. Every single base should be covered, and money alotted for overruns. Once this has the stamp of approval, THEN (and ONLY then) a contract should be signed.

Next step for the investor: Sit back and wait on the material. And if they themselves are not hip-hop knowledgeable, they should contract someone to give them opinions. However, THIS MONEY SHOULD NOT COME OUT OF THE ARTISTS' POCKET, BECAUSE IT IS A RESULT OF THEIR OWN IGNORANCE.

Next step for artist: Find yourself a suitable pre-production studio to practice in, to keep costs DIRT CHEAP. Once EVERY SONG is memorized and every beat is purchased and pre-worked, THEN hit up the 'Big Boy' studio (cheap plug). When your features show up, sit them down with a walkman and give them til the end of the session to come up with something, while you work on other tracks.

blah blah blah, a whole bunch of other stuff. But you can see where i'm going.

Investor might as well mean "dumbass with money", if they aren't going to look over every single plan and schedule with a fine toothed comb. You can't just throw money at everything and expect it to be good.

As for the artist....its nowhere near required, but it would be beneficial if they would do their part and come up with a serious album plan. Not just "I recorded 50 tracks, your turn" and expect everything to fall into place.

Apr 14, 2003
The rap game is like a giant bowl of parmesan(sp) cheese... So many lil pieces of cheese in the bowl, but only a select group sittin on top.

LoL anyways, I agree wit tadou... Cats just expect to be tossed some money and not do their fair share of work...I gotta be careful though cuz I'm funding my first album so i kinda get the hang of it to know what i need to do on both ends.
It was a lot of writing but worth it.
peace

May 4, 2002
or find something else to do in LIFE.......back in the 50's it was cool to be a jazz player..in the 70's it was rock and roll...in the 80's it was R&B singers...now its lets start a record label...!!!
my generation is FUKED in a nut shell