What inspires you musically?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Personally for me its all the classics, you know like Roger Troutman & Zapp, Teddy Pendergrass, Marvin Gaye, Funkmaster Flex, even some B.B. King, Diana Ross, that old school Jackson. Oldies rock aswel, Rolling Stones, Led, Pink Floyd, etc. Music definetly isn't like it was.

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Freeway, Cassidy, Diggz Dime, Certified, Cool Nutz, Cam'Ron, Jada, Styles P, Beanie Siegel.....hmmm

Old school shit, I can't even fuck with. If you stuck in the past, believe, you gone get left in the past.

EDIT: Forgot to mention....my #1 inspiration is and always will be vocabulary....i might hear a word or phrase and get stuck on it, go find some paper and a pencil...and 20 minutes later, its a whole verse. Happened a few weeks ago with the phrase "fly in the ointment"....

Dec 2, 2002
real life situations. Muddy Waters, Memphis Slim, John Lee Hooker. Blues and Jazz mostly.
I cant get with any old school pop. Theres gotta be large quantities of soul behind it or i cant fuck with it. I can dig almost any type of music.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
tadou said:
If you stuck in the past, believe, you gone get left in the past.
Its not like that at all, thats just ignorant to say, its really just appreciating what hiphop was built on. Without the apst, there wouldn't be the present, without the vinyl, there wouldn't be hiphop.

Dec 21, 2002
I would say life experiences would be my primary source of inspiration, second would be music PERIOD (old and new, you mentioned some tight shit Mr Samos), and Current events get my mind going when I'm either writing a verse or working on a beat...1

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Mr. Samos said:
Its not like that at all, thats just ignorant to say, its really just appreciating what hiphop was built on. Without the apst, there wouldn't be the present, without the vinyl, there wouldn't be hiphop.
You underestimate the power of hip-hop, friend. Prose and Music were bound to link up, and through poetry or epic, or opera and theatre, it never could have happened. Hip-Hop is the evolution, the alpha and omega. Regardless, Rap could have existed without hip-hop.

That being said...yes, you WILL get left in the past if you are stuck in the past. Which is why most [heavily] sampled tracks are now being relegated to mixtapes, and the albums are where the original material goes.

Feb 4, 2004
on a musical note lets see

Prince, MJ, Bach, Jimi Hendrix, Earth Wind and Fire, Sade, Slip Knot, Pearl Jam, Parliment, Isley Brothers, Maktube, Lox, The list is endless there are even some country cats I dig.

But I think the most inspiration comes from my daughter and my girlfriend who has spent countless late night studio hours with me. I think that is what honestly drives me to work so hard.

Jul 10, 2002
Peter Tosh, Lee "Scratch" Perry (whom created & perfected dub/looping), King Tubby, Isley's, Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Jimi (206 what!), Al Green (before he became a Rev.) Coltrane, Miles Davis, Billy Holiday, Max Roach, Parliment, Cameo, Black Uhuru, and the list goes on.....

Tadou, (lol), nevermind...

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
tadou said:
You underestimate the power of hip-hop, friend. Prose and Music were bound to link up, and through poetry or epic, or opera and theatre, it never could have happened. Hip-Hop is the evolution, the alpha and omega. Regardless, Rap could have existed without hip-hop.

That being said...yes, you WILL get left in the past if you are stuck in the past. Which is why most [heavily] sampled tracks are now being relegated to mixtapes, and the albums are where the original material goes.
Im not underestimating anything, never have and never will.

I highly doubt rap would of existed as it does now without vinyl, without break-beats and people like Kool Herc, Bambaataa & Zulu Nations. If someone cuts up oldie records and samples them or if they even just appreciate good classical music it doesn't mean they are "stuck in the past." Name one HIT, or ONE good song that wasn't sampled, everything is sampled from the past, everyone you mentioned who inspire you, SAMPLE, and you know that. Who said anything about heavily sampling? Everyone knows that too much of a good thing is bad, if they don't thats their problem. Its about mixing different flavors and cultures together. Mixtapes ALONE are being neglected because there is an abundance of them scattering from every direction, and nobody is taking them seriously, they died out along time ago. There really isn't much "original" music anymore if you think about it. Anyways I respect your opinions. But we can't forget where this sound originated from.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
djbuttnaked said:
on a musical note lets see

Prince, MJ, Bach, Jimi Hendrix, Earth Wind and Fire, Sade, Slip Knot, Pearl Jam, Parliment, Isley Brothers, Maktube, Lox, The list is endless there are even some country cats I dig.

But I think the most inspiration comes from my daughter and my girlfriend who has spent countless late night studio hours with me. I think that is what honestly drives me to work so hard.
Indeed, thats good stuff man, family.

Nov 30, 2002
uhh... my emotions... mainly anger.. for the most part im an angry dood... oh yeah.. and people who piss me off..so i guess tadou is my inspiration...LOL jp.. nah the haters tho.. they just give me a reason to do it.... to piss people off... lol

pz

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
"Name one HIT, or ONE good song that wasn't sampled, everything is sampled from the past, everyone you mentioned who inspire you, SAMPLE, and you know that"

Bling Bling
Back That Azz Up
Yeah!
Damn!
Ha

Shall i go on?

"Who said anything about heavily sampling?"

I did. WHat i am saying is that, the days of flipping old songs for albums are all but over. These songs are now mostly being done on Mixtapes. You should cop yourself some Wop, Cut C, Kool Kid, and see what i am talking about.

"Mixtapes ALONE are being neglected because there is an abundance of them scattering from every direction, and nobody is taking them seriously, they died out along time ago. "

Man....i should just erase everything i said, because you obviously have NO FUCKING CLUE what you are talking about! Mixtapes are still FUCKING HUGE on the East Coast, and down in the south, Chamillion(sp) just shipped about 10,000 pre-orders of his latest one. Joe Budden got his DEAL from doing mixtapes...same with Jae Millz....man, just....you are REALLY misinformed about mixtapes.

"There really isn't much "original" music anymore if you think about it. "

See the 5 tracks i just named. There isn't much original music because of people who think like you. That sampling "is always done", any hit song "was probably sampled" and that we "can't forget our roots", I mean come on.

"I highly doubt rap would of existed as it does now without vinyl, without break-beats and people like Kool Herc, Bambaataa & Zulu Nations"

To end on the most high point....Like i already said, that you seemed to gloss over, Prose and Music were bound to link up (and please tell me you know what prose means?). If it wasn't the black or latino man, a white man would have invented it. It was only a matter of time before someone set spoken poetry to music.

@Jomodo
Do you do any music at all? You should post something up for us to check out.

Apr 25, 2002
tadou "Who said anything about heavily sampling?" I did. WHat i am saying is that said:
Seems like a situation where you both are right. I am listening to every single one of my cds right now (putting them on my computer), and I have been writing down every sample that there is so I can download the original (b/c the originals are almost always incredible). I can say that on a given album in my collection, anywhere from 3-12 of the tracks are sampled.

Apr 25, 2002
One other thing

to remember is that one form of music can be a means through which other forms of music are discovered. For example, if it wasn't for rap music, I would have a very very small soul (old school r&b, funk, whatever you call it, basically pre-1985 black music is what I'm talking about) collection. Rap music has guided me that direction b/c if I am feeling a newer cut that is sampled, I always try to go back and find the original and almost always I love the original.

I spent the entire spring bumping:

Atlantic Starr - Let's Get Closer (Nate Dog - Nobody Does It Better)
Chic - Will You Cry (Benzino - 617 Intro, Freeway - When You Hear This Song, Jayo Felony - Sherm Sticc III)
Minnie Ripperton - Inside My Love (Skunt - 2 People, Freeway - You Don't Know, Chico & Coolwadda - Godzilla Like)
Sam Cook - A Change Is Gonna Come (CNN - Album Intro)
Al Green - Aint No Sunshine (DMX)

Right now I've got a list of about 100 more songs I am going to try to find b/c they were sampled on rap songs that I liked.

Apr 25, 2002
Speaking of sample

a hot sample waiting to happen would be to put Skuntdunanna on a sample of Patti Labelle - I Love You. That song, especially the first 20 seconds before she comes in, would be perfect with Skunt and his style.

But I understand this is kind of like Ray Allen taking shooting advice from Vitaly Potapenko.

Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
^^ I almost got that joke fast enough for it to be funny! Damn you for using an Eastern European name :)

Man, its a lot of people that would sound real cool on samples......we really need to get some mixtapes circulatin so it'd be easier to make it happen. Some [fake] mixtapes that didn't take 6, 9, 15 months to come out would be a good first step.