Western RPGs...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 25, 2003
This is mostly based on my opinion and personal preferences, but this is a listing of most of the best Western or "PC-Style" RPGs.

What usually constitutes a 'Western' RPG:
  • Non-anime art direction
  • Choices in dialogue, plot, or character development / creation
  • Often storylines / gameplay tend to be more dry or intellectual than emotional, exciting, etc
  • More likely to utilize first-person camera POV
  • Western devs (Bioware, Bethesda, etc.)
Most of these games are PC only, as the PC lends itself a bit more to this style both in setup and the makeup of PC game developers.

Chronologically:

1996: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (DOS)
  • Diablo series debuts (Windows, Macintosh)
1997: Fallout series debuts (Windows, Macintosh)
1999: Planescape: Torment (Windows)
2000: Icewind Dale (Windows, Macintosh)
2001: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura (Windows)
Anachronox (Windows)

2002:
2003: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Windows, Macintosh)
These were from a Wikipedia article. Anyways, this thread of sort of pointless and rambling, but umm...yea.

Any of y'all who like RPGs but would like to have a game experience somewhat different than the traditional JRPG anime story about a boy who grows up to be a man or some shit would do well to peep any of these games.

Most of all I would recommend

Planescape:Torment
&
Both of the Fallout games - the absolute best examples of the genre

Though both are old (you wont find the shit in a store) imo they are some of the better Western RPGs out there.

Knights of the Old Republic was a good ass game as well.

What got me into this shit at first, though, was the old ass Sega game Shadowrun. I'm not sure if there are any other "console" examples of 'WRPGs'.

Dec 3, 2005
i dont play RPGs in general so i dunno exactly, ive heard of some of those games. but i have played every final fantasy since number 1 on nintendo

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
Awwwww yeah FALLOUT... whats up... some of the best computer games of all time in any genre period. I fuckin' love the environment of those games, I can still clearly remember places like Junktown and the Hub from #1 (which i like better, barely). Shit is fucking s-i-c-k.

The Elder Scrolls.. those games have been a part of my gaming life too since i was like 12. played and beat the first one, Arena, then got Daggerfall right when it came out. Morrowind is sick too but not as good as Daggerfall, but I have high hopes for Oblivion. ALL YOU XBOX360'ERS BETTER COP OBLIVION ASAP!! That shit is going to be unbelievable.

Star Wars KOTOR was the best Star Wars game i ever played. Im still trying to play #2, but i need to find a place to download a working version.. :)

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
baldurs gate 2 is one of my favorite games of all time,still play it to this day using different kits and shit. there is so many side quests in it. have probably beat that game 30-40 times and still start that shit right back up. almost everybody you talk to gives you some side-mission to do.

but yeah...icewind and baldurs are my shit

Dec 25, 2003
Morrowind was anticipated hella hard by me and I was so disappointed with that game.

It was straight TRASH in my opinion.

Daggerfall was sick as fuck. Morrowind seemed like it took steps backward in what they were trying to do.

SiccFucc and Psilo y'all need to play Planescape:Torment. It is, in my mind at least, the best PC-Style RPG ever played. Cop it off Amazon or ebay....its worth the money and then some.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up with Oblivion after MW was such a let down but I'm still definitely anticipatin it.