Vegetarian Abuse

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
Vegetarians Face Child Abuse Charge

By Stephanie Gaskell, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK -- A couple who put their baby daughter on a strict vegetarian diet were
charged with child endangerment after authorities found the girl last year weighing only
half her normal weight, prosecutors said. Joseph and Silva Swinton, both 31, were
charged with reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child. Both
pleaded innocent Friday. Prosecutors said the baby was fed ground nuts, fresh-squeezed
juices, herbal tea, beans, cod liver oil and flax seed oil. She was not breast-fed or given
infant formulas. Authorities were alerted to the situation by an anonymous call in
November, said Maris Campbell, a spokeswoman for the district attorney. She said the
baby was "in grave risk of death."

"She weighed only 10 pounds, less than half the weight of an average 16-month-old
female child, and appeared to be the size of a 2- to 3-month-old baby," District Attorney
Richard Brown said Monday. But Warren Silverman, a lawyer representing the mother,
said the parents "felt that they have their own lifestyle, they're vegetarians, and they felt
that they were providing proper care for their child." The child has been in foster care
since November.

The girl is now 20 months old and doctors said she now weighs 20 pounds, still about the
normal weight of a 10- to 12-month old baby. Campbell said the girl faces major
developmental problems.

I find this pretty interesting. What do you think? Should the parents be charged with anything?

Daveyboy

Sicc Triple OG
Apr 25, 2002
thats fucked up, but i really don't see any point in being a vegetarian, its all about feeling sorry for a dead fucking animal, FUCK THAT I GOTTA EAT!

Apr 25, 2002
www.2siccaudio.com
I understand that people want to be vegetarians and that's all good with me. That is their choice of lifestyle, but in the case of a baby it is different. The baby is too young to make up it's own mind about what type of lifestyle it wants to choose. Meat provides a lot of protien that babies need in their diet and no formula or breast feeding is even worse. I understand the right to choose not to eat meat, but it is human nature to eat both meat and vegetables. Protien is very important in an early childs life and denying that is neglegant on the parents part.

I always look at it as you need to help a person's physical health before their mental health because if they can't live physically there is no need to help their mental state because it will be useless.

Bottom line, the parents should be charged with negligence. The child needs to be fed the proper foods to help it grow. All outside feelings and beliefs should be put aside until a child is strong enough to accept that type of lifestyle.

Late!

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
blutarski, you said that shit just the way i would have....it's cool for people if that's their choice, but to do that to a baby when they need certain things to survive is uncalled for.....i agree with you that they should be charged with negligance, but that's about it....just so they realize how stupid they are for that shit....

May 12, 2002
GoProGraphics.com
You gotta breast feed a kid...
I think after the kids like 2, you can turn them into a vegetarian.

You can raise one with all the essensial amino acids even as a vegetarian, but i dont think a lil kid in a lunchroom calfeteria is gonna stay away from a hamburger forever. PEER PRESSURE IS A BITCH WHEN EVERYONES EATING BURGERS! And they smell soo good.