US Open W Final (Australia > Murrikkka, you mad bro?)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/...flushing-meadows/story-e6frf4mu-1226134481456

Samantha Stosur beats Serena Williams 6-2 6-3 in US Open final at Flushing Meadows

Samantha Stosur has become Australia's first female grand slam singles champion in 31 years after pulling off a stunning upset over American Serena Williams at the 2011 US Open final.

Stosur produced the match of her life against a nervous Williams to win 6-2 6-3 in one hour and 13 minutes in front of 23,000 people on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

The result made her Australia's first grand slam champion since Evonne Goolagong Cawley secured her second Wimbledon title in 1980.

It was the first time the nation had claimed the women's singles crown at the tournament since Margaret Court Smith in 1973.

"Ever since I started playing ... this was a dream of mine to be here one day," Stosur said after the match.

The composure Stosur showed in capturing her maiden grand slam revived memories of Lleyton Hewitt's win in the final on the very same court against Pete Sampras a decade ago.

However the match was not without controversy with Williams berating the chair umpire after receiving a one-point penalty for verbal hindrance.

felt the noise going right through my chest it was so loud I didn't really know what to think I just tried to stay calm and think about the next point," Stosur told Fox Sports.

"Obviously that fired her up a bit and I was hoping she wasn't going to get too angry and start playing unbelievable ... I was just happy I was able to close it out.''

The incident seemed to rattle Stosur for a couple of games but she held tough and took a break for a 4-3 lead in the second set.

"I was just kind of there,"Stosur said. "I do know the rule, but it's not something I've ever had to deal with before."

She gained the edge with a break for 4-3, and broke again to seal the match with yet another blistering return off a Williams second serve on her third match point.

"I don't really know what to say," said Stosur, whose rugged path to the final included a third-round victory over Nadia Petrova that lasted a US Open women's record three hours and 16 minutes and a marathon 17-15 tiebreak loss to Maria Kirilenko before she rallied to beat the Russian.

"Serena, you are a fantastic player, great champion and have done wonders for our sport. Thanks to everyone back home for supporting me. All my friends, family and everyone else, thanks so much for supporting me. I look forward to coming back home," said Stosur.

When it was all over, Williams congratulated Stosur, and did her best gloss over her burst of temper.

"I was doing my best," she said. "I hit a winner but I guess it didn't count ... But it wouldn't have mattered anyway because she played really well."

The 13-time grand slam champion walked out onto court following emotional September 11 tributes ahead of Stosur, with the players hitting up in light rain.

Fortunately for under-fire officials, it did not last long and play started on time with a calculating Stosur taking advantage of a nervous Williams to capture the first set in 31 minutes.

However the match looked like turning at the end of the opening game of the second set following a controversial decision by the chair umpire.

Williams shouted "come on" just as Stosur went to hit a ball on the baseline and the chair umpire penalised the American under the hindrance rule.

The decision handed Stosur an early break of serve and it infuriated Williams as she directed some sharp words at the chair umpire.

It also woke up the crowd who booed the decision and a fired-up Williams then broke Stosur's serve for the first time in the match.

Williams called the chair umpire a "hater".

"Aren't you the one who screwed me over last time here?" Serena roared.

"Yeah, you are.

"A code violation because I expressed who I am? We're in America last I checked. Am I gonna get violated for a water? Really, dont' even look at me. I promise you, don't look at me because I am not the one. Don't look my way.

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, walk the other way. Because you're out of control. Totally out of control. You're a hater, you're unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing. And I never complain. Wow."

The incident revived memories of Williams' ugly outburst at a lineswoman during her semi-final loss to Kim Clijsters at the 2009 US Open.

The incident seemed to rattle Stosur for a couple of games but she held tough and took a break for a 4-3 lead in the second set.

The Queenslander yelled out "Come on" as she took a 5-3 lead before taking the match on her third championship point by ripping a forehand winner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're a hater and you're unattractive ..."

Serena to the umpire (again).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL stay classy serena you genetic freak, you should be playing in the mens comp.