Upcoming Movies thread..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 29, 2003
Searched and couldn't find any thread of the sort except for the 2010 movies thread. Movies I could not find a release date for are here...

National Lampoon's Vacation

source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/10...turn-to-wally-world-before-it-closes-forever/

You might recall that back in October we told you that New Line/Warner Bros had signed Wedding Crashers and Fred Claus director David Dobkin to produce and possibly direct a new film in the National Lampoon’s Vacation series which would follow Rusty Griswold, the son of Clark Griswold, who is now a father in his own right and takes his family on a, you guessed it, road trip vacation. Then came that the Super Bowl Commercial/Mini Movie (which can be watched here), which while it wasn’t nearly as good as any of the films (not even Vegas Vacation), garnered a lot of attention. Enough attention to convince New Line to order a screenplay for this new adventure.

Variety is reporting that Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Dale have been hired to pen the new movie, which won’t be released with the National Lampoon credit. Some new story details were also revealed, such as the location of Rusty’s road trip vacation. You guessed it - Wally World, the fictional amusement park that was the finale of the original film. In this new movie, Wally World is closing forever, and Rusty wants to bring his family to the park before it is gone for good. As you might expect, the park and that one summer vacation meant a lot to him. New Line/WB hopes to sign Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo to return as grandparents in the new film, no deals are in place.

The screenwriting duo come from television where they worked on a bunch of different shows before settling on The New Adventures of Old Christine. In 2007 they sold their feature spec script The $40,000 Man to New Line, and have since enjoyed a relationship with the studio handling writing assignments, none of which has entered production.

It is unlikely that any of the original Griswold child actors will return for the new film, since Rusty and Audrey have been played by a different set of actors in each film. This fact is actually made into a joke in Vegas Vacation when Clark tells his children that he “hardly recognizes” them anymore. It has been described as being closer in tone to Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Little Miss Sunshine than RV or Are We There Yet? (thank God).

It’s hard to complain about another sequel since this franchise has already been milked to death. It’s not like this film could ever hurt the series’ legacy, at least not any more than Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie’s Island Adventure (which is one of the worst films I’ve ever seen… ever). Christmas Vacation is one of the few third films in a movie series that ended up surpassing the sequel, European Vacation, by leaps and bounds. The 1997 film Vegas Vacation wasn’t horrible, but also wasn’t on the same level as either Vacation or Christmas Vacation. Warner Bros is looking at this new installment as more of an update than a sequel, but the sequel elements will obviously be there.

Sep 29, 2003
Terminator 5 and 6

source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/02/11/billl-wisher-has-written-treatments-for-terminator-5-and-6/

There's been tons of activity surrounding the Terminator franchise as of late. The rights were up for grabs as of November and studios like Lionsgate and Sony have been foaming at the mouth to snatch them up. So when the surprise victory came from a $29.5 million bid from Santa Barbara-based hedge fund Pacificor, the debtholder which pushed Halcyon into bankruptcy, something wasn't quite right. But out of this deal came the offer to let Sony and Lionsgate produce and distribute the next Terminator film. But who would will it? How about original franchise writer Bill Wisher who has treatments for a fifth and sixth movie?

That's right folks, Deadline Hollywood is reporting Wisher, who was James Cameron's writing partner on the first two films, has a detailed 24 page treatment for Terminator 5 and a 4-page concept outline for Terminator 6 which Deadline's Mike Fleming has had the privilege of reading. Here's Fleming's take (and he loves him some Terminator) on the two treatments without giving away too many specific plot details:

"As a 'Terminator' fanboy myself, I think Wisher has done a terrific job with a plot that accepts the storylines from Jonathan Mostow’s 'Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines' and McG’s 'Terminator: Salvation.' Most interestingly, he turns the story back to the core characters and time travel storyline of the first two films that Wisher crafted with Cameron.

Wisher’s 2-picture construct takes place in a post-apocalyptic battleground, and factors in an element of time travel that allows for Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese to interact beyond their single fateful meeting when he traveled back in time to protect her in the original film. Wisher has created a role for Arnold Schwarzenegger that is as surprising as his shift from villain in the first film, to John Connor’s bodyguard in the second. Schwarzenegger wouldn’t be needed until the final film, which wouldn’t shoot until after he ends his term as California Governor.

There are several new villains, and plenty of firepower. For instance, a swarm of 'Night Crawlers,' 4 1/2-foot tall border sentries that are set like mines to spring up out of the ground and ambush rebel fighters with 10 MM pistols built into their wrists, and fingers and feet that are razor sharp. Also fresh off the Skynet assembly line are new shape-shifting cyborgs that can morph together in Transformers-like mode, and are more lethal than anything we’ve seen in previous 'Terminator' installments.

Wisher presents a satisfying conclusion to what by then would be a 6-picture struggle between Skynet’s machines and John and Sarah Connor to preserve a future that allows mankind to prevail over the machines."

Damn! Fleming has always been one hell of an entertainment journalist, but I think he missed his calling as being a master inside the pitch room. If you want to read his full rundown, head over to Deadline Hollywood for a bit more. Never has the prospect of another Terminator film sounded so damn appealing and so loyal and respectful to the original creations of James Cameron (and Bill Wisher). With every fiber of my being I hope Sony and Lionsgate take Wisher up on this storyline and finally get a new Terminator film (hell, two films) that deliver the same cinematic magic that was captured in the first two (and was lost in the third and fourth ones).

Sep 29, 2003
The 3 Musketeers

source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/12...ll-reboot-the-three-musketeers/#ixzz0fK5y1j2u

Producer Lionel Wigram, a former Warner Bros creative executive who oversaw the first three Harry Potter films and went out to create/pitch/write Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes, has hired screenwriter Peter Straughan (The Men Who Stare at Goats) to adapt Alexandre Dumas‘ classic 17th-century adventure novel The Three Musketeers. The plan is to update the story to appeal to young, contemporary audiences, playing up the action/sexier elements. This project should not be confused with Paul W.S. Anderson’s planned 3D adaptation of the Three Musketeers. No director or cast has been attached to the project.

I’ve never really liked The Three Musketeers, and I’ve never really enjoyed any of the films in the swashbuckling action film genre. Can Wigram make The Three Musketeers cool again? Do you care?

Sep 29, 2003
Riddick

source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/02...-ridd*ck-officially-on-the-way/#ixzz0fIwGv3IV

I don't know what it is with Universal and shortening titles. Some genius there must think that by removing more words from an upcoming sequel's title, it'll do better. They just renamed Fast and the Furious 5 (as it should be called) to just Fast Five. And now Variety says they've named the next Chronicles of Ridd*ck sequel just Ridd*ck. Come on, you can't sell a movie with more words in its title? Anyway, there's nothing really new in this announcement, they're just saying that the next movie is now officially in the works, so expect it in theaters in 2011 (most likely). And yes, Vin Diesel will be back, but we already knew that, too.

Franchise creator David Twohy will be back to direct the script he wrote, however we're not sure which one it is they're using. My hope is that Universal decided to go with the R-rated one that's darker and edgier, or else this is guaranteed to be worse than Chronicles of Ridd*ck. Variety says that they've heard from insiders that "the third outing will hew closer in tone to the cult hit Pitch Black and will focus on the character of Ridd*ck as opposed to the universe he inhabits." Good to hear, but I'm still weary, since I love the character of Ridd*ck and Pitch Black, but didn't like Chronicles of Ridd*ck. Hoping for a return to form in this one!

Sep 29, 2003
Ant-Man

source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/09/stan-lee-claims-marvel-is-prepping-ant-man-movie/#ixzz0f4xOEvNB

Famous comic creator Stan Lee sent out some tweets today claiming that he has met with director Edgar Wright regarding an Ant-Man movie, which Marvel is “prepping”, according to Lee. We know that Wright has been developing the project for a couple years now, and put the comic book adaptation on the backburner once he went into production on Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. But now that Pilgrim is cut, and in the special effects phase of post production, might Wright be back at work at the Ant-Man? Who knows.

Lee might be completely out of the loop (this is very likely) and might only be repeating what he last heard about the project. However, Wright did retweet Lee’s comments and added “Sometimes you shouldn’t meet your heroes in case they disappoint. @smilinstanlee does not disappoint,” confirming the meeting. Last night Wright tweeted about a dinner meeting he had with Iron Man director Jon Favreau in the UK, but Wright was clear to point out that “Amazingly, we talked neither Avengers nor Antman.”

Lee also mentioned that Marvel is developing movie projects featuring Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Black Panther and many others. None of this information hasn’t been included in previous internet rumors/reports however. Check out his tweets on the subject, after the jump.

* To make up for my previous grievous error, here’s a little item that may have escaped you. Marvel is prepping a movie starring– Ant Man!
* I had lunch with the cool , young director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) and, as you’d imagine, we had fun discussing the tiny hero
* Ant Man is just one of the many wild treats Marvel has planned for you, such as Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Black Panther and more, more, more!
* But time enough for entertainment after our mission has been accomplished. Now if only I could remember what our mission is!
* Of course, it might be easier to create a perfect world with 1,000,000 Brigadiers than with 40,000. Math was never my strong suit!
* Be patient, Brigadiers. Marvel, Disney and POW! have wonderment awaiting you. And your Generalissimo hasn’t lost a battle yet! Excelsior!

May 9, 2002
Getting Him To The Greek

Aaron Greenberg (Jonah Hill) is a driven, idealistic young college graduate who works as an intern at a record company. After his first taste of success promoting the Bob Logg III American Fart Tour, Aaron is given his big break when he is sent to transport flaky English musician Aldous Snow (Russell Brand) to a concert at Los Angeles' Greek Theater.