Torii Hunter inserts foot into his own mouth

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
What an ass clown.

---------------------------------------------------------

PHOENIX -- Los Angeles Angels center fielder Torii Hunter called black Latino baseball players "impostors" when it comes to the appearance of the number of African-Americans in the major leagues.

Hunter's comments were made two weeks ago in one of a series of USA Today roundtables about baseball and published in Wednesday's editions.

"People see dark faces out there, and the perception is that they're African-American," Hunter said. "They're not us. They're impostors. Even people I know come up and say: 'Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?' I say, 'Come on, he's Dominican. He's not black.' ...

"As African-American players, we have a theory that baseball can go get an imitator and pass them off as us. It's like they had to get some kind of dark faces, so they go to the Dominican or Venezuela because you can get them cheaper. It's like, 'Why should I get this kid from the South Side of Chicago and have Scott Boras represent him and pay him $5 million when you can get a Dominican guy for a bag of chips?' ... I'm telling you, it's sad," he said.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, a Venezuelan, scoffed at Hunter's remarks before Wednesday's game against the Oakland Athletics. Angels spokesman Eric Kay said Hunter will not further discuss the subject.

"I was laughing because when he said, 'They go there and sign for potato chips,' I said, 'Well, we've got Chapman. They gave him $12 million. [Cincinnati actually agreed to a $30.25 million, six-year contract with pitcher Aroldis Chapman.] We've got [prospect Dayan] Viciedo. They gave him $10 million. I remember in my time, one scout goes [to Venezuela and] 30 players show up. Now, 30 scouts go there and one player shows up. In our country, we play baseball. That's no choice. Here you can play basketball, you can be another athlete, you can do so many things when you have the opportunity. And that's why there's not many [African-American] players out there."

There has been some concern about the number of African-American baseball players. Many blacks are choosing to play other sports instead.

Hunter defended his comments to Angels beat writers Wednesday. He said he would not apologize for them.

"I'm [ticked] right now. I'm upset. And people wonder why athletes don't talk to the media that much," Hunter said. "It's stupid. That wasn't even the main topic of the discussion. That was like a piece of the conversation, Point-five percent of 100 percent. The main topic was that there are no scholarships for baseball. ... It wasn't a negative story."

Black players accounted for 10.2 percent of major leaguers in 2008, the most since the 1995 season, according to the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports.

"I keep saying a lot of times, in 10 more years American people are going to need a visa to play this game because we're going to take over. We're going to," Guillen said.

Information from ESPNLosAngeles.com's Mark Saxon and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=4983236

Jun 9, 2007
LMAO@Torii, but it's really the same shit he's been sayin for years now...

in fact, here's a quote 3 years ago from when he supported Gary Sheffield's take (that caused an uproar) on Latino players in the majors:

“You can go to Latin America and get that same talent as a black player in Compton, and if he’s in Compton, he gets drafted in the first round he’s going to get $2 million,” Hunter, who is black, said. “If he doesn’t pan out, you’re out $2 million, but if you go to the Dominican [Republic], Cuba or whatever, and you can get a guy for $2,000 and he doesn’t pan out, you’re only down $2,000.”

but yea, to be calling Latino players "imposter blacks," while funny, is just flat out stupid on his part.

Jan 5, 2006
To my knowledge, Domincans and Puerto Ricans and other various latino/hispanic countries in the carribean with players in the major leagues who seem to be darker than others have some african ancestry. Just ignorance really, kind of like when every latino is automatically mexican.

May 9, 2002
To my knowledge, Domincans and Puerto Ricans and other various latino/hispanic countries in the carribean with players in the major leagues who seem to be darker than others have some african ancestry. Just ignorance really, kind of like when every latino is automatically mexican.
That's the whole point. Anyone who is from the Caribbean region has African in them.

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
"People see dark faces out there, and the perception is that they're African-American," Hunter said. "They're not us. They're impostors. Even people I know come up and say: 'Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?' I say, 'Come on, he's Dominican. He's not black.' ...

Damn what a bigot, this shows the great divide in English speakers and Spanish speakers. LOL they're impostors?????? hahahahaha they are as African as himself, retard needs a history lesson.

Jul 5, 2009
He talkin about American born black players. There's white European players in the NBA but they aint considered white. Baseball has been questioned about the number of black players(from America) just like tha NBA has a bout white players so they group everyone of African descent together to make they numbers look better. Im sure Vlad Guerrero wouldn't even say he's African American. "Impostors" LOL. Imma start callin one of the homies that shit.