To those of us who still play video games!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Some info here for everyone who plays video games.
I'm only doing this because I never realized how expensive video game software is.
Think about it, movie DVD's cost about $22, tops.
While video games cost $50.
What's wrong with the picture here?
Movie production is far more expensive than video game production.
We are gettin ripped off like a muthafucka if you ask me.
Well now I've turnned the tables on the video game industry and chipped both my Xbox and PS2.

Here's some info you guys should peep.
These folks are talking about striking and not buying video games this holiday season to send the industry a message.
It's all on you, I just thought I'd share this with you all....

http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk/front.htm

Also, peep this news article:

Europe busts Nintendo for keeping game prices high
By John Lettice
Posted: 25/10/2002 at 12:55 GMT

Console outfit Nintendo broke European antitrust laws, and an announcement of the level of fine is possible by next week, according to today's Wall Street Journal. Nintendo's sin, says the Journal, was obstructing cross-border sales, thus allowing it to keep prices high, and keep a frim grip on its distribution channel.

Depending on the attitude the European Commission takes, this could be ominous for other console makers. You'll recall that last week Steve Ballmer was complaining about how Australian legislation was obstructing Microsoft's ability to make a fast - er, honest) buck with Xbox.

Specifically, he was talking about the court ruling which effectively allowed the chipping of consoles in order to get around regionalisation, and regionalisation is the manufacturer's practice which allows them to stop their machines playing out of region software. Which helps them restrict cross-border sales, and keep prices high.

Apparently Australian and New Zealand legislation already makes it illegal for companies to restrict the parallel importation of their products, and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is poised to take action against DVD regionalisation. So if other places, including Europe, follow the lead, Steve Ballmer could find himself threatening to stop selling Xbox virtually everywhere... ®

May 12, 2002
ya video game prices are hella high... but u get more replay value from a game than a movie

im gonna chip my xbox too, probably with the xodus matrix chip (http://www.easybuy2000.com/store/xbox/matrix.shtml) cuz then i can take it out if microsoft does some shit to screw over modded xboxes. Im thinking of putting in a new harddrive in it after that. did u do that on yours?

May 23, 2002
it hurts the pockets to come out with the 50 for the game, but think about how much longer you enjoy the game then the movie...if you occasionally play games like i do, it takes some time to actually beat a game...a movie, your done with it in 2 hours and then you probally watch it one more time, before you touch it again for another 6 months at least...the game you keep playing for a month or so and then you're then with it...but even then, you can play the game again without cheats (or with cheats), or try to uncover new shit...i can see why they charge $50 for a game and $20 for a movie, but it also hurts your pockets big time...especially with all of the new games that come out...you can be patient and wait for the price to drop or if your lucky, you can buy one used, but by the time that happens there's other games you'd rather get...

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Yeah I can understand what you guys are saying. Video games do indeed offer more replay value than movies but what about the replay value of music cd's?
Video games cannot compare to music cd's and they are much cheaper.
So a higher price for replay value is uncalled for!

The only reason why video games are so expensive is because no one has complained yet.
The industry promised cheaper games with the introduction of CD rom technology back in the days.
Cartridge based games are far more expensive to produce than CD or DVD media.
That's why Sega and Sony made the jump a few years ago.
But they never dropped the prices on their games.

Blight,
I would agree with you if I were wealthy.

Bangvan,
I'm thinking of installing a larger hard drive as well.
But I'm a little skeptic when it comes to formatting it, at the moment. I think I'll wait for now, I don't really see no reason for a larger drive unless you'll be dumping your games into the harddrive.
Get the X-ecuter chip if I were you. But make sure it's version 1.1 cuz it's much easier to install.
The good thing about this chip is that it allows you to install an ON/OFF switch, it's quite simple.
Now about the Matrix chip, I know that you need to flash the chip with your own BIOS to make it play recordable media.
As of now, they only sale the chip empty of any BIOS.
The chip is very easy to install but I don't know where to find the BIOS for it, do you?

May 12, 2002
miggidy, im not sure where u can find the bios but check out this site http://www.xbox-scene.com/ it has a lot of info. You can probably find the bios on irc since its illegal and no websites are gonna host it. I think installing a new harddrive is a good idea because then you can rent or borrow other peoples games and store all of them on the harddrive instead of wasting money and time burning them, especially games that only fit on DVD's. I read that the x-ecuter is a good chip but i already ordered the xodus matrix one from www.easybuy2000.com yesterday.

S

Sound2TheBay

Some good points in the first post, but the reason video games are more expensive than DVDs even tho movie production costs more than video game production is just because (1)a DVD is something you watch, a video game is something you play/interact with; (2)a video game has a lot higher replay value compared to a DVD.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Bangvan,

Let us know how it goes when you install your chip.
I just bought 3 X-ecuter's and I'm installing them this weekend.
Everything should go fine though.
As for burning games and shit, it's easy once you have Evolution X installed in your Xbox harddrive.
You simply connect your Xbox to your PC and then rip the game files. And you burn them on DVD after that. This way you don't have to worry about hard drive space.

Jazzfan,
Are you reffering to someone that installs the chip or harddrives?

Sound2TheBay,
Yes, video games offer more replay value than movies. But so do music cd's, and look at the price differrence.
I don't think companies sale music, movies, video games, etc. based on their replay value.
But they sale'm based on pure production value.
The video game industry wants you to believe that games are more expensive due to replay value. But all that is contradicted by the much cheaper music cd's.

Jul 1, 2002
www.siccness.net
When you think about it....its not about how much money goes into production, its about how much time you can entertained by somethin. Put it this way, a movie DVD is like avergae 20 bucks.....and you get 2-3 hours of the full movie. But a video game, which costs $50 can entertain u for like 8+ hours. games like GTA like 80 hours, and if u obe playin online its endless. So i think of it that way. and I got the scrill to get the games anyway so i aint trippin. But i might jus get a chipped XBOX to try out the games i dont plan on buyin anyway.