The Legend Is Born: Ip Man

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 25, 2009
yep i saw it its pretty good but not better then first ipman
the fight scene are kinda weird for me at the first look but need to watch it again

Jan 25, 2009
did they speak mandarin in the 1st one? only you would say some shit like that.. lol
well the other IP MAN was made by completely different crew and actors and those movies have nothing to do with each other beside the character of IP MAN so this is not really a prequel for me

Jan 25, 2009
Well, the first two were in mandarin. I can understand that if a movie plays in Hongkong that they speak Cantonese, but this one does not.
that actually not correct chinese movies are in 2 dialects and i would say most movies are done in cantonese and there 2 options during making movies they doing the same parts in manadarin or dubbing movie in mandarin after so you must saw manadarin speaking version of ip man (with donnie yen) as cantonese exist as well (and i know people usually askin for cantonses version as manadarin seems unnatural) :cool:

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
that actually not correct chinese movies are in 2 dialects and i would say most movies are done in cantonese and there 2 options during making movies they doing the same parts in manadarin or dubbing movie in mandarin after so you must saw manadarin speaking version of ip man (with donnie yen) as cantonese exist as well (and i know people usually askin for cantonses version as manadarin seems unnatural) :cool:
Hongkong movies are of course mostly done in Cantonese and then dubbed, because Chinese people do not understand it (except for local people in Guangdong). Most of them can understand Putonghua (Mandarin) though. When I buy DVDs, I normally watch them in the OG, except for when my wife is also watching and wants to watch it in Putonghua.

But I guess I made a mistake. Seems like they actually kept it real by having the first mostly in Putonghua as it plays in Mainland and the second one in Cantonese as it plays in Hongkong. I bought the DVD here though, so it was in Mandarin.

Now this third movie about Ip Man is in Cantonese, but it plays in Mainland, which is still surprising to me.