Tech Mainstream ?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2008
Theres alot of talk saying tech has sold out and is doing the very things he spoke against for a long time. Working with MTV to do exclusive releases of his music videos and getting his fans to prop it up all over MTV getting all over the radio with radio friendly songs like " OG " and " Mama Nem"

Ive seen the "Make the mainstream come to us" but yea that just doesnt happen.

Is tech now considered Mainstream ? He gets paid more than alot of those mainstream rappers and he doing much bigger things than probably most of them aswell..

I dont care eitherway aslong as the music stays the same really but whats everyones thoughts on this now ? Is he there ?

Roz

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2009
www.facebook.com
No, I don't think he's there, and I honestly don't think he'll ever be. I really think that era of being completely "mainstream" is starting to be over with, where you see new artists are "everywhere" as in, on tv, radio, and all that. You'll see it with certain artists, but not like it used to be. The internet gives us so many more choices on what to listen to. Yes, an artist can be popular, but he/she is also competing with thousands of other popular artists out there. You also have to think about Tech's age. He's nearly 40, and has kids... he can't continue pushing like he did in the past.

Overall, I see nothing wrong with the plateaus he's reached. It's givin' a lot of underground artists inspiration to want to do the same thing, and get to that point.

Nov 17, 2006
I mean honestly pretty much everyone is mainstream now. When shit like Odd Future is on MTV and is the new craze in hip hop you know times have changed. He's not to the point where everyone knows him and will be like the jam of the week on MTV... but you ask artists in hip hop, most of them know who tech n9ne is and chances are they worked or are going to work with him. So considering he's rubbing shoulders with mainstream artists.. he's bordering on mainstream now.

I see people saying "oh.. man MTV's gonna ruin him" Yeah, it's mostly dumbass idiots who say that though because If i remember correctly, Tech's FTI commercials used to get played on MTV.. so he was never anti-MTV.. just against the way the industry was set up. Besides.. that's 8 years ago.. time goes by, things change.. you can't expect the man to still be going against what's mainstream when he could use it to his advantage. And obviously the fact that he didn't make the song with Lil Wayne and T-Pain a pop friendly radio hit proves he isn't trying to get cheap fame and popularity..

May 7, 2008
^ very good points.

Odd Future on MTV is a very big sign of how strange the music scene is lately.

Is there a possibility this new found popularity and mtv influence could effect the music to a point in the near future where old fans like you or i could turn away ? I didnt like the sound of any of the Mixplates thus far but he always comes out straight after with a cd that makes u forget the mixplates lol

Jan 11, 2006
www.myspace.com
i sadly agree but everytime others doubt him, even doubts himself he pushes forward.
Tech's age. He's nearly 40, and has kids... he can't continue pushing like he did in the past.

Overall, I see nothing wrong with the plateaus he's reached. It's givin' a lot of underground artists inspiration to want to do the same thing, and get to that point.
but, yeah i think he'll always do music even if its not behind the mic.

Oct 17, 2009
What is this Michael Jordan during his run with the wizards? Just cause Tech is nearly 40 doesn't mean he is going to slow down by any means. Unlike sports in music your age is irrelevant to your skills on the mic

May 7, 2008
^ some what true.

Am i the only one who just wishes rappers like Dr Dre,Vanilla Ice and Slick Rick just need to give up rapping and do sumthin else ?? There isnt a good track record for rappers when they get old thats for sure.

But i think Tech would be the exception to that rule ^ theres something about his style that screams forever young and fresh. But if he starts dropping mixplates alot i reserve the right to pretend i didnt say that.

Jun 20, 2008
Tonedeff said:
Fuck mainstream and underground, "Is this shit any good?" is what matters.
Who cares about whether or not Tech is "mainstream". If he's getting recognition and still making good music, I'm happy. If he's putting out garbage and using that to get recognition, then there's a problem.

Am i the only one who just wishes rappers like Dr Dre,Vanilla Ice and Slick Rick just need to give up rapping and do sumthin else ?? There isnt a good track record for rappers when they get old thats for sure.
I agree with you on Dre, Vanilla Ice was trash from the start, and Slick Rick hasn't put out anything since 99 so not sure what your point is there. You used 3 really odd examples. KRS-One still puts out good music, Chuck D still puts out good music, Common, Wu, Kweli, Mos Def etc.

Jun 13, 2005
Is this topic going to come up every time he releases a new album? And until his shit gets in the mix on popular radio stations or clubs, his shit hasn't gone mainstream and i doubt he ever will, but I guess we'll have this convo again next year when he drops another album.

Nov 7, 2006
people in general like to be shocked and thats exactly what odd future is doing and it's cause sooo much hype that MTV would be stupid not to capitalize. kinda like when nirvana was the talk of the rock scene when it was mostly hair bands doing shit then. as for tech, i have no problem with him going mainstream or even making exclusive shitty music videos, as long as the album is good with that tech flow and lyrics then i'll keep buying.

Sep 30, 2002
From what I understand (and this is solid info considering its source), they still aren't playing the game and paying for this MTV relationship, he has just literally created a buzz that has the outlet interested because of his immense and unique fanbase and the numbers they represent as viewers which of course equals advertising dollars.

In my personal opinion I think that Tech and Strange have won and have done exactly what they set out to do, which is prove to the media outlets that they don't need them to be successful and now the outlets have to come to them.

Oct 10, 2003
How many artist are on MTV with an independent record label that they are parrt owner of? How many so called mainstream rappers rely on their record label to get them on MTV? Can we blame him for selling out if he is doing so? Dont think so he is making alot of money for his future and his families futures. In the end fans are nice to have and they all have opinions like they have assholes, never the same shit that comes. GET UR MONEY TECH

Aug 20, 2002
How many artist are on MTV with an independent record label that they are parrt owner of? How many so called mainstream rappers rely on their record label to get them on MTV? Can we blame him for selling out if he is doing so? Dont think so he is making alot of money for his future and his families futures. In the end fans are nice to have and they all have opinions like they have assholes, never the same shit that comes. GET UR MONEY TECH

Dank u wel.

Nov 5, 2006
If tech goes mainstream I am never gonna pirate his cd's again. I cant believe it how could he do this to us. his loyal fans, now we have to share him with all those losers in the other message boards. its not fair...tech if you can hear me....i know you care about my opinion...please stay off the radio and mtv....please stop making guacamole....and why cant you just make another album like anghellic, you keep changing, and I for one dont like it.