Talking about freedom of Speech....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
^^^^

http://friendlyatheist.com/2008/02/09/atheist-billboard-taken-down/

The Freedom From Religion Foundation had signed a contract with Kegerreis Outdoor Advertising LLC to put a billboard in the Chambersburg, Pennsylvania area, rotating about three different locations.

This is the billboard that was up:

Now, that billboard has been taken down. The original location now has a billboard that reads like this:

If you can’t read it, the fine print says “The previous sign posted at this location does not reflect the values or morals of our company. Thank you.”

I’m not sure what was so offensive about the FFRF’s bilboard. It merely posed a hypothetical.

And who would be so ignorant as to see a billboard promoting something and assume the billboard company was tacitly endorsing the product (or ripping down another)? (”That billboard is for Sprint?! The company must hate Verizon…”)

What was the reason for the takedown?

Dusky A. Chilcote, senior account executive for Kegerreis Outdoor Advertising, Chambersburg, said the sign was posted Monday as the older sign, with the words, “Imagine No Religion,” was being removed.

“We received only a couple of negative calls about the (first sign),” Chilcote said on Monday. “We were concerned about the impact of how people see our company.”

Chilcote, a Christian, said she was personally hurt by the deception of the sponsor, who allegedly led her to believe the sign was presented by a local church.

She said in December that the sponsor of the billboard had contacted her and said “their desire was that people would have the freedom to walk into any church they choose.”

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Freedom of Speech (1st Amendment) protects individuals from GOVERNMENT censorship. The STATE shall not abridge freedom of speech. A billboard advertiser can say whatever they want to.

I can see why they'd do that though. Even if they don't endorse the views on the billboard, they have accepted money to put up the sign. It still reflects poorly on the billboard company in the eyes of all the religious people who drive by. Might as well protect themselves.

If the government said that the billboard had to be taken down, that'd be a whole different conversation.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Freedom of Speech (1st Amendment) protects individuals from GOVERNMENT censorship. The STATE shall not abridge freedom of speech. A billboard advertiser can say whatever they want to.

I can see why they'd do that though. Even if they don't endorse the views on the billboard, they have accepted money to put up the sign. It still reflects poorly on the billboard company in the eyes of all the religious people who drive by. Might as well protect themselves.

If the government said that the billboard had to be taken down, that'd be a whole different conversation.
it's the auto-censorship / religious zealotry I am talking about:confused:

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Yeah I get ya. My gut reaction is to say "fuck them" for being ignorant. But it is a business. For all we know, the owner might be totally against organized religion, but he knows the reality of it is that he might hurt his ability to feed his family if he promotes that on his billboard.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
It happened in Chambersburg. Its a pretty small town. Most of the Amish and Quakers live near Lancaster. You can actually see them on the highways in a horse and buggy. I got friends from nearby who said they partied with the Amish and they'd just get bottles of moonshine and drink hard as fuck and carry sacks of wood over their backs and race back and forth across fields. But Chambersburg isn't overrun with Quakers or Amish.

Either way though...I'm just sayin, PA itself isn't the most conservative state on the map. We did vote for Kerry.