studio tips

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Kavie

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
i'm bout to hit up the studio saturday...beside havin all the shit you need wit you and ready, what are some tips to have some good quality shit when you leave the studio....

Apr 25, 2002
Kavie said:
i'm bout to hit up the studio saturday...beside havin all the shit you need wit you and ready, what are some tips to have some good quality shit when you leave the studio....
MAKE SURE YOU LISTEN TO THE SHIT GOOD BEFORE YOU LEAVE....IF YOU THINK SOMETHING DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT,CORRECT IT THEN....DON'T LET THE ENGINEER OR THA HOMIES TELL YOU IT SOUNDS TIGHT IF YOU THINK SOMETHING IS MISSING OR WRONG....

BIG J

Sicc OG
Apr 26, 2002
Re: Re: studio tips

TRAGIC LOSSES said:
MAKE SURE YOU LISTEN TO THE SHIT GOOD BEFORE YOU LEAVE....IF YOU THINK SOMETHING DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT,CORRECT IT THEN....DON'T LET THE ENGINEER OR THA HOMIES TELL YOU IT SOUNDS TIGHT IF YOU THINK SOMETHING IS MISSING OR WRONG....
Very True, only you can Tell if itz sounds dope or not.

That and Make sure you have the Right Audio Formats to give to the Engineer(Ex:AIFF, WAV, sound designer II, etc.) Have the Lyrics down before hand so you can just go in there and Lay 'em down quick. Nothing I hate more than someone that comes to tha Studio to Write, or they've written sumptin' that Doesn't even Fit, like the Verse is too short, or its too long.

Always have backups of Backups

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Very True, only you can Tell if itz sounds dope or not.
no i dont agree with that statement. the reason being is that most rappers dont have a TRAINED ear. you ever went through a session and by the end of the session everything was turned up? "i need more bass push the bass line up" (now you cant hear the strings). "i cant hear the strings turn em up" (now your masking the piano) "the piano is too low turn it up a notch".

another thing to consider is the engineer (if he is a good one) will know his rooms acoustics and his speakers. a good engineer will tell you "i dont think its a good idea to have that bass up so loud because its distorting at 300 hz. it will hit better if its cut" or "its not a good idea to place these pianos and strings at the same volume level because they have similar frequencies and they mask each other. lets cut the frequencies on one of them".

so how is the average rapper going to know about that and what actually sounds CLEAN. what may sound dope in the studio may not even translate to the real world (computers,tape decks,car audio,home audio,walkmans ,cd players etc etc etc")

before you leave the studio check your mix through a small radio.

dont go in drunk and loaded. you are going to work. if you are paying for studio time and you go in drunk and loaded your wasting it. time is money.

heresy

Apr 26, 2002
@Heresy, What I meant was Te Lyrics, only you will know if they sound right or not. The Beat Should be left to the engineer