Sproles honored for Super September

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 5, 2003
Wednesday, Oct 01, 2008
By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

When Darren Sproles learned Wednesday that he’d been named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for September, his reaction was about what you’d expect.

He shrugged his shoulders, trying to play it off a little, but his ear-to-ear smile showed that the award meant something to him.

“It’s cool,” Sproles said, again playing coy. “I’ve worked really hard. It’s always nice to see people recognize that.”

During his special month, Sproles tied a team record with a 103-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. It was one of just two kicks returned for scores in the NFL during the first month. Dallas’ Felix Jones had the other.

Sproles currently ranks second in the NFL with a 32.4 average on kick returns. The Chargers were down 21-3 in Denver when his touchdown run sparked a rally and helped them overcome a large deficit. Last week in Oakland, the Raiders had just tied the game when his 67-yard return set up Nate Kaeding’s go-ahead field goal with 1:55 remaining.

Dolphins Head Coach Tony Sparano has certainly taken notice of the Bolts’ small but dangerous weapon.

“He’s so explosive,” Sparano said. “He’s one of these guys that can be running sideways, put his foot in the ground and as soon as he puts his foot in the ground, bang, he’s gone. You’ve got to be careful that way. He does hide behind some of those people in wedges and he hides behind some of those offensive linemen, and the next thing you know, he shows up.”

Jan 9, 2004
Congrats and well earned. I was nervous about him stepping in for Turner, thought he'd get broke in half sometime in the first two games. As long as no one can catch him, he's tearing it up and playing a different dimension while LT heals that toe up.

Look out Miami, Sproles may be running all over you.

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
I remember everyone doubting him when he came out of Olathe North High School in Kansas. Then he went to Kansas State and everyone still said he was too small.

Then he went to the Chargers and everyone said he was too small and to weak.

Now, he is showing ass.........

Good shit boy!