So heresey...i'm getting back into engineering

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
but i'm really only into tracking and mastering these days...
no mixxing...

so once i sell this house
i'm thinking of going with a Neve 1084, SM-58 through it(god i love this thing on hip hop vocals...more then a Neumann U-87...and to think it's only 100 bucks)

now here's the tricky part
the compression on the way in...i've rarely heard a compressor i like...
what are some options i should check out

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Damn you must be doin it real big if you are gonna get a Neve, is that a console or some kind of channel strip cuz I know thoseboards are a hundred grand give or take.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I like the LA-2A on vocals personally its got a nice slow attack and it brings up vox without a noticable noise floor compared to the other stuff I got to play with at school the LA-4 is nice too. I only fucked with a couple of compressors though, I bet Hersey knows of alot more shit out there. Just wanted to drop my 2 cents since only a handful of the cats who post on here know about real deal gear, are you gonna use a multitrack or are you gonna route it into pro tools or another DAW? Just curious

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Im just now getting home.

Man I just came from a lab in Cordelia and its 2 am in the morning. I feel like a dope fiend right about now, lol!

LOL@the 58! All I have to say is "I told you so"

As far as compression goes you should get a tube AND a solid state compressor. That way you have two compressors on hand and with the tube comp you can change the tubes to get different tones.

You can go with API (525, 2500), DBX (160x, 161, 165A), Chandler (TG-1, LTD2), Drawmer (Too many to list bro), Empirical Labs (DISTRESSOR) Fairchild (660 is $10,000-13,000 and the 670 is $30,000 :dead: ), Focusrite (red), GML (8900),

neve
urei
summit audio

man I cant finish I gotta hit the sack.........:dead:

Apr 25, 2002
jayda650 said:
I like the LA-2A on vocals personally its got a nice slow attack and it brings up vox without a noticable noise floor compared to the other stuff I got to play with at school the LA-4 is nice too. I only fucked with a couple of compressors though, I bet Hersey knows of alot more shit out there. Just wanted to drop my 2 cents since only a handful of the cats who post on here know about real deal gear, are you gonna use a multitrack or are you gonna route it into pro tools or another DAW? Just curious
neve 1084s are a micpre/eq that were used in the old neve broadcast consoles

AMS-NEVE has a reissue and without the power supply there's about 3800 a channel i think...

i'm not that big a fan of the LA-2A...
i've already pretty much decided on getting the Atomic Squeeze Box for compression...well at least that's the compressor i'll be paying attention to untill i've got the dough to purchase...
some of the most respected people in the industry say it's like having someone ride the faders for you...but it's 7,000 for a stereo channel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
True, one of my favorite mics is an RE-20. Not much to look at but it sounds great on any male vocals. only like 300 bucks too

Apr 25, 2002
HERESY said:
Moe I forgot to address this. Do YOU need to compress on the way in?
not really...

and PressPlay...i've recorded with 4,000 dollar mics, 2,000 dollar mics 1,000 dollar mics 500 dollar mics etc
the SM-58 can hold it's own with any of them...
it's a different kind of sound

and i think for hip hop it's fuckin great...

Jun 12, 2004
deepsleeprecords.com
If you don't need to compress on the way in, it's better not to compress at all. Specially if you've never hear a compressor that you've liked during tracking. No need to have a compressor there just to have it. Unless you need serious dynamic control or like the coloration that a compressor adds to your sound then tracking straight from the pre/channel strip is fine.

Apr 25, 2002
a bit of dynamic control

i just really need a fast compressor..
i mean i've heard a few i really liked
but don't know if i could justify 3G's for two channels of a piece i'm never going to use in mixdowns...

i'll mostly be recording myself as well...so mic technique could balance most of that out...

Jun 12, 2004
deepsleeprecords.com
I'm not big on compressors. Maybe Heresy can recommend something. You'd be well off looking for a compressor that has a transparent sound. I know Avalons are known for coloration as well as a lot of older popular units. But it's worth looking for a transparent compressor that doesn't act up with fast attack settings.

You can put a compressor to use during mixdowns also. Some light limiting/compression can help glue a mix together. It works better when you have a good amount of headroom and dynamics available so as to minimize the effects of the compressor but mroe often than not, it'll help.

It's worth playing the the release of current compressors if you have one to play around with. After getting your threshold and ratio the way that you want and knowing that you want a fast attack, playing with the release often does the trick in getting the sound that you want. That'll be the difference between your compressor giving you a muddy sound and the compressor giving you more clarity in your vocals.