Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Sounds pretty good:

Closing Comments
Shattered Memories isn't your typical Silent Hill game. Some devoted fans will undoubtedly raise a fuss over every difference whether subtle or grand, but I believe this re-imagining succeeds as both a sequel and a departure. The overarching narrative, characters, and monsters will all seem faintly familiar to Silent Hill purists, but Climax has taken the series and run with it, crafting a title refreshingly different yet still at times terrifying.

The game looks fabulous, the controls feel tailor made for Wii, the flashlight mechanic is stunningly atmospheric and useful, and the decision is to omit weapons results in chilling chase sequences. There is simply a lot to love about Shattered Memories, which is why it's so easy to recommend the title despite a couple of shortcomings.

I feel that the separation between safe exploration and puzzling and run-for-your-life monster scenarios is too transparent and as a result you will inevitably come to fear the ice and few things else. And despite a unique psych profile system that allows for multiple endings and various changes throughout the adventure, the game runs a bit short -- perhaps too short for some.

Even so, there are some incredible moments encapsulated within Harry's icy journey and you will be both wowed and scared as you finally uncover the truth about his daughter's disappearance and the nightmarish goings-on in the creepy town.

Great

Nov 21, 2005
sh:homecoming was kind of a let down.. it didnt suck but it just wasnt great in any areas. hopefully this wont be the same. i have a feeling these games wont be what they used to until they put the series back into the hands of the Japanese development teams