Ray Mercer vs. Marcus "Conan" Silveira in works for upstart Fight Time Promotions

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Ray Mercer vs. Marcus "Conan" Silveira in works for upstart Fight Time Promotions

When former heavyweight boxing champion Ray Mercer (1-0) knocked out former UFC champion Tim Sylvia (24-6) in just nine seconds in June, many MMA observers felt it signaled the end of the line for "The Maine-iac."

But for the 48-year-old Mercer, the quick win will apparently signal the beginning of a run in mixed martial arts.

According to American Top Team boxing coach Howard Davis Jr., the upcoming debut event for his newly formed Fight Time Promotions will look to feature a main event of Mercer and 14-year veteran Marcus "Conan" Silveira (6-4).

"It's not definite, but we're in negotiations now," Davis Jr. recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

Mercer, a former boxing world champion, earned the win over Sylvia in the main event of June's "Adrenaline MMA III: Bragging Rights." It was Mercer's second experience in MMA, as "Merciless" was submitted by former streetfighting legend Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson in a June 2007 exhibition.

Silveira debuted professionally in 1995, facing notables Maurice Smith, Kazushi Sakuraba, Dan Severn and Wes Sims during his near-14-year career.

"Conan" fought twice for the UFC in 1997, facing Sakuraba twice in the same evening at "Ultmate Japan." Silveira earned a controversial win over "The Gracie Hunter" in their first match of the evening, a bout that was later ruled a no contest. Sakuraba secured a submission win in the rematch later that night.

A former Olympic boxing gold medalist, Davis Jr. said his passion for mixed martial arts has grown during his six years with American Top Team.

"I love mixed martial arts," Davis Jr. said. "It's in my DNA now, in my genes. When I first came to American Top Team, I didn't really understand it. But I see the fighters, and the excitement is there.

"I think it's a wonderful time to start something on my own. So, we put Fight Time Promotions together. Our first show will be at the end of the year."

Davis Jr. is currently eying a Dec. 12 date at War Memorial Auditorium in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., for his debut event, "U.S. vs. Brazil."

With sponsors Everlast, Padron Cigars, and the U.S. Army already on board, and Comcast SportsNet handling broadcast duties, Davis Jr.'s upstart organization is already heading in a positive direction.