Random Thoughts

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
lots of hatin' goin on from "artists" towards labels nowadays.
The same muthafuckaz that risk their own bread and food outta their family's mouths to help launch and further careers on what turns out to be skanless, selfish and koniving artists. I know there are labels out there that can identify with this. I mean for the longest time an artist is makin appearances here and there...but in reality aint doin shit... the label comes along and invests in that artist's name and likeness and all of a sudden releases the album that artist had been tellin people was "coming soon" forever. The artist's ego swells a lil bit and claims the area is on lock, but in actuality the album aint sellin much of anything. Sometimes the label loses chunks of money and if not business minded, can go under from the blow of a project that flopped. Does the artist care? naw. Does the artist understand what recoup means? naw. Does the artist believe the label owes them the equivalant of of 10,000 units sold even though the shit aint even sold 1000 copies which is far from recouping expenses? damn right. The artist then thinks because they soaked enough game from the LABEL that they can establish their own label and begin to call themselves CEOS when in fact they don't know the first thing about what a REAL CEO does as they talk about multiple releases and taking the game over but struggle to finish and release one let alone 25 in the course of 2,3, 5 years! Try... getting a tax ID #, getting a ficticious Business Statement, opening a DBA account, balancing the books, tracking, sales, consignments, promotional events, and the list goes on. Rappin' is the easy part. Yes it takes talent to do that part of it, but it takes just as much talent to sell the shit. It's that same mentality and lack of business sense and saavy that is continuing to plague the independent rap game. Recording the album is the easy part. Selling the album is a whole nother ballgame. I challenge the same people that sell less than copper and expect platinum royalties to TAKE THE MONEY OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKET and spend it on their very own project and take it and sell it and see how much of that money they actually RECOUP after returns, consignments, bad debts, promo expenses, mastering, manufacturing costs etc. Then you can sit down with me over lunch and tell me how the game works and how your label ripped you off.... oh excuse me.. you own your own label ... is it possible to rip yourself off? nobody to blame and accuse but youself. take a long look in the mirror and say to yourself... am i really as hot as i think i am? or am i full of hot air? hmmmmm.

who am i to say this? i'm nobody... but i do have around 8 years invested in this rap shit from street and retail promotion to funding and executive producing albums. Learn about the game you claim to be takin over that way the chance of your ego gettin crushed and you bein extremely humbled is less of a burden to shoulder. Learn what expenses are and remember knowledge is key.

Apr 25, 2002
www.moonshinebandits.com
M S

What i have learned in the short time MSB has been in the game.

First things first,
I learned that in this industry, if u are a Rapper u have to be a buisnessman SIMULTANEOUSLY!.....U have to read your contracts, u have to do your research, u have to know about how distro works, u have to know marketing strategies, u have to know that distro isnt responsible for Promoting your project, and the facts of what your label will do for u and what u will do for them prior to teaming up, etc etc ......and lastly u will never know EVERYTHING!

U cant just say yea......"i am an artist" and expect all the shit to fall in place....u gotta read between the lines and learn how things work.........its not all glitz and glamour.....u gotta do your homework....man, i learned alot from good ol' robb.....at least i think i did.....but i am smart enough to know that i only know a smidgeon of what needs to still be known!

As for myself, I realize where we are at.....& I know
our limits and I know that it takes a lot to put out an album, the right way....we spent our own $ to keep this dam thing going in the beginning...So when u are spending somebody elses money, u know damn well that ya better do your shit right...respect and be loyal to the person helping you out----- thanks WILD BILL.

This is just some thoughts on Benos post....a little shit i learned.
still got plenty more to learn tho-----
peace out

Nov 25, 2002
ITS A HARD ROAD

SHIT WE 2 YEARS IN AND ITS JUST BEGINNING TO OPEN UP...

..NOT 2 MENTION ONCE YOU DO GET A PROJECT CRACCIN...IF IT EATS UP ALL YOUR FUNDS CUZ IT DIDNT DO WHAT WAS EXPECTED...HOW DEEP DO YOU DIG INTO YOUR POCCETS TO TRY TO MAKE ANOTHER RUN AT IT.....

AND IF YOU DECIDE TO LET OTHA NIGGAZ WITH FUNDS IN ON YOUR SITUATION TO KEEP IT IN MOTION TRYING TO UP YOUR FANBASE...NOW YOU GOTTA PAY THESE NIGGAZ TOO...

UNLESS YOU WORK AT IT RELENTLESSLY...YOU MIGHT AS WELL SIGN WITH ANOTHER NIGGAZ LABEL.....THE YOU A "SECOND STRING" NIGGA...THEN THEY GET FAT OFF YOUR SWEAT N TEARS N YOU COME HOME WITH 5'GZ....NOPE.

SO WHAT THEN LOSE YOUR MASTERS TO A MAJOR N LET EM RECOUP THE SHIT OUTTA YOU..NOPE....

I TRIP OFF ALL THESE NIGGAZ THAT GOT "LABELS" ON HERE..YALL NIGGAZ BETTER BE READY TO BLEED FOR IT ....FOR YEARS..OTHAWISE YALL NIGGAZ JUST GOT LOGO'S..AND A DREAM....

DRAS.
LOCUST.

Apr 25, 2002
www.KillaValley.com
u know damn well that ya better do your shit right...respect and be loyal to the person helping you out----- thanks WILD BILL

good shit Booza at least u respect and worry about making dudes bread back, most artist dont give a fuck , and still want 5 g'z even if u didnt get paid its "fuck you"...........good shit homie.

I TRIP OFF ALL THESE NIGGAZ THAT GOT "LABELS" ON HERE..YALL NIGGAZ BETTER BE READY TO BLEED FOR IT ....FOR YEARS..OTHAWISE YALL NIGGAZ JUST GOT LOGO'S..AND A DREAM....

thats real shit homie........logo's & dreams with no money..........i respect every man that tryed it on they own then we fucked with as artist....but the artist that aint never done it on they own and expect the world fuck dem and whut they believe!

Apr 25, 2002
www.KillaValley.com
i feel ya Gambeno's i get tired of the arist / rich and famous thing so much i wanna quit cuz these no hustleing, no job having, living with mom muthafuckaz wanna complain and put in 3 months worth of work but at the end wanna live like they put in 13 yrs. when i strat thinking about quitting the business the #1 factor first is the artist that turn bitch.........the #2 is that in the end u make a lil bit of profit and the profit = the work dont come close ta matching up.......but the strong will survive

H

H. T. B

@ OG MS I just hit you up with all my info. Check your Email
and let's get it jumping!

This is Cesolito of The Hardtime Ballers-
I agree with everybody on this post about the music business.
You have to be a focuss business mined that never falls into
negative atmospheres and situations. I'm 10 years deep. This year is my 10th anniversary since I did my first recording. Ever since I've been doing my research to bult this Hardtime Entertainment. Theres one thing I learned you have to Believe in yourself and everyone with you, Because If you don't believe in your crew then who will? Yall feel me on that comment?Also you have to be original, unique, versatile, entergetic, nice appearance
To build a never ending Fan base. Fans are the key to your success, because If your moving 80% out of a 100. You'll recieve your proper respect. Usually 10% out of the 20% left just don't feel you while the other 10% are just haters.

www.mp3.com/The_Hardtime_Ballers
www.mp3.com/Cesolito
www.mp3.com/J_Illegal

*******Coming January 2003******
CESOLITO :BRIMSTONE 2

Aug 26, 2002
shit I I'll be the first to admit, I thought shit I found Warfare, now we gonna get shit craccn, everythang on cruise control and then boom some BIG ASS SPEEDBUMPS SHOW UP, got at Ms to do posters and cover , started handing out singles to random people at the mall, going in stores...this shit is a fuckin struggle but damn I'm having fun as fuck doing it to..............................

Nov 14, 2002
REAL TALK HOMIE, I ALWAYS STAY TRUE TO KILLA VALLEY NOMATTER WHAT WE GO THRU. IT MIGHT BE TIME I NEED HELP WIT SOMETHING BUT IF YALL CANT DO IT,YALL CANT DO IT. I UNDERSTAND. ME BEIN ON THIS LABEL DOSENT MEAN YALL OWE ME MONEY. FUCK THAT!!! IM RIDEN WIT YALL TILL THE END. IM A REAL NIGGA. I DO VERSES MAKE BEATS WHATEVA FOR YALL CAUSE I FEEL YALL SOME REAL FOLKZ. BIG ROB, HIT ME UP WHEN YOU CAN HOMIE. WE NEED TO TALK (REAL SHIT).----BIG CHILL-----KILLA VALLEY-------