ramos records....these cats got hustle

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 4, 2002
a little bit of a article from sea-spot....

No Good Therapy as group was born when Famous, Beezie2K and Senor Ramos hooked up with Texas Slim and mister No Good. The eventual goal "We tryin' to be the West Coast Bad Boy. We tryin to be Russel Simmons, we tryin to be No Limit. We trying to be the next big thing. We're not just a group we're a label. We tryin to blow the label up. This is not no overnight success." They have a ten year plan. According to Famous, the first album sold 10K on the streets, the second sold 30K on the streets and he is determined to sell 100K on the streets with their latest offering "We're Back."

They just signed a one album deal with Universal/Thump for "We're Back" which gave them a large chunk of change and most importantly for a regional act, national distribution. But don't think that just because they've got a deal, the crew at Ramos think they can sit back and enjoy it. "I'm still gonna sell it in the streets till they tell me 'don't do it.' I'm not gonna wait for them to blow us up. I'm not gonna rely on no label," Famouse explains. "You're gonna get f&%ked. It's just how many strokes you gonna let 'em get."

When asked to break down the group, you can see Famous' eyes light up.

"Texas Slim, he from Texas, 21 years old, cold, hungry. I think he's one of the tightest rappers in the industry that hasn't been heard. He's on that Eminem, Ludicris type level, he's on that level with them cats. He's hot."

"Mr. No Good is like Hip Hop 10. He's like another instrument. He's filthy."

"Beezie is one of the top producers in the industry that hasn't been heard. Not taking anything away from Funkdaddy or the other local dudes, but Beezie2K is cold. He's the truth." Beezie's production credits include Dj Screw, C-Murder, C-Bo and others.

"Senor Ramos is killin' 'em with the Mexican style. We let him rap in Spanish, that's how much confidence we got in the album. We gonna let a dude rap in Spanish and you still gonna buy it, cause it's still hot. You don't know what he's sayin' but you still bobbin' to it. And the Essais love it. Fifty percent of our fans are is Mexicans, Latin Americans."

"And me Famous, I'm from New Orleans. I just spit it, I just spit hot shit. I ain't the tightest rapper in the world, but I can make you dance." He's been doing music since grade school - marching band, orchestra, symphony. He says he plays every brass instrument there is.

The new album, "We're Back" he likens to gumbo. "This album is like a gumbo pot, we got some South, we got some East, we got some West. We comin' lyrical, we makin' you dance, makin' you jump. We ain't gangsta rappers, we here to have fun. You can put us in any environment and we gonna make it happen. You can't label us. We just music. We make music."

When asked how he feels about the scene in Seattle, Famous has some definite opinions. "Seattle's tough. You gotta get out there and earn that respect, because Seattle's more of the bandwagoners. They from everywhere else. So whatever's hot out there, that's what's hot. They ain't got nobody to represent. They got so much bullshit here too. You can't have animosity towards that, but if you in their face every day, puttin' it down, showin' that you ain't no one hit wonder, you not just her for one album, you here consistently, boom boom boom in their face, they gotta respect the game. Even thought they don't buy it, the gonna know you." Continuing in on that theme, he explains "[Hip Hop] is here, but cats don't have an idea what to do. That's why we kinda settin the standards for these cats. You gotta get on the streets, you gotta slang. That's what they doin' everywhere else. Even when I went to Cali, they wasn't doin' it like we doin' it. They wasn't grindin like we grind, man."

"I'm showin' 'em, that record deal shit is a dream, its not gonna happen, you gotta make your own deal. You gotta make 'em come to you. You better get out there and grind."

And they do grind like a mutha. In Famous' office, you'll find a board with the location of every Sam Goody up and down the West Coast, and he plans to hit every one of them over and over again. Right now, every dime they make they put back into the company. Sell a thousand CDs at ten bucks a pop, and it goes back into the company. Famous works one day a week with Alaska Airlines to get the benefits so he can fly everywhere Alaska goes to hustle the album. This summer he followed the Anger Management Tour from stop to stop, and claims he sold 3,000 CDs in a week. The week before I sat down with him, he said they went to Boise. ID and hit up the Roc The Mic tour, won backstage passes in the freestyle battle, sold the passes and hit the parking lot to sell 450 CDs. "We stayin' humble, we stayin' hungry, we stayin' grimy. Getting' units out there, that's all I'm thinking about. Gimme the money, it's just to pay for another CD, another flyer, another poster, another radio spot."