Raiders hire former Steelers assistant to coach DBs

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-raiders-perry&prov=ap&type=lgns

February 5, 2007

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Former Pittsburgh defensive backs coach Darren Perry was hired Monday to fill the same role with the Oakland Raiders.

Perry, who coached the Steelers' secondary since 2003, resigned last month following a meeting with new Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin. Raiders coach Lane Kiffin brought him on board to replace Chuck Pagano, who is now defensive coordinator at North Carolina State.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Darren's track record speaks for itself in Pittsburgh, first as an outstanding player and then equally as a proven coach," Kiffin said. "His work in the defensive backfield has resulted in championship caliber play from all areas."

Perry, 38, starred at Penn State, then started at safety for seven consecutive seasons with Pittsburgh after being taken in the eighth round of the 1992 draft. He finished his career with New Orleans in 2000.

Oakland had the No. 1 ranked pass defense in the NFL last season, despite finishing a league-worst 2-14. Pittsburgh had the fourth-ranked pass defense under Perry in 2004 and won the Super Bowl the following season.

Updated on Monday, Feb 5, 2007 8:08 pm EST

May 2, 2002
Now...I know you're gonna think I'm hating......

But the Steelers secondary is the weakest part of their D...they really aren't that good.

The reason why they look good is because the Steelers blitz like crazy...they put alot of pressure on the QB.

Your D is pretty good as is...I don't know how much this is really gonna make a difference.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
^^ The Browns fan is right.

Although the Steelers do have some amazing safeties. Darren Perry never got the full potential out of the cornerbacks. Ike Taylor, Ricardo Colclough, and Bryant McFadden should have stepped it up. There's a reason the Steelers promoted the assistant dbacks coach and fired this guy.

The Raiders dbacks were better than the Steelers this year. You guys shoulda just kept your old coach and focused on offense. But the guy does have a ring.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
gimpypimp said:
Now...I know you're gonna think I'm hating......

But the Steelers secondary is the weakest part of their D...they really aren't that good.

The reason why they look good is because the Steelers blitz like crazy...they put alot of pressure on the QB.

Your D is pretty good as is...I don't know how much this is really gonna make a difference.
Naw man I don't think you're hating. We'll see how this coach works out...

Jun 1, 2002
THIS HIRE MAKES NO SENSE TO ME. OUR SECONDARY LAST SEASON WAS STRONG.. VERY FEW YARDS ALLOWED THROUGH THE AIR..NMANDI WAS FINALLY MOLDED INTO ONE OF THE BEST DB'S IN THE LEAGUE. WHY WOULD WE FIRE THE SECONDARY COACH??