QUICK THOUGHT

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 20, 2010
I have been tossing around a few thoughts and ideas an when in question turn to siccness lol.

I fully understand the concept of free music, but i also feel that to much of
it is given away for free and it is decreasing the value of the hip hop culture .
Now a days all you need is a computer and a mic to become a rapper 12 songs
and you have an album promo it on the internet you get a few hundred downloads and they think they poppin.

I wanna start a campaign called NAME YOUR OWN PRICE were there is a minimum (IE .20 FOR A SINGLE) but there is no max amount to pay. I feel it would help restore a little value back in our culture. It will also show respect and support for our artist who pay for beats studio time features etc.

So i guess i came to siccness to get your thoughts your opinions and find out wether or not you would actually be on board with this idea.

Jul 29, 2009
East Palo Alto, Ca
Im down for this, I googled my self to see what would pop up, and found this Forum called "The Real Brown Pride" and they had my Compilation "No Suckas Volume 1" for free download there, and like 5 pages of people saying thanks for the free copy. Lol I said thanks for hearing my music but it also took away from my sales,,,,so im on board for that

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
I have been tossing around a few thoughts and ideas an when in question turn to siccness lol.

I fully understand the concept of free music, but i also feel that to much of
it is given away for free and it is decreasing the value of the hip hop culture .
Now a days all you need is a computer and a mic to become a rapper 12 songs
and you have an album promo it on the internet you get a few hundred downloads and they think they poppin.

I wanna start a campaign called NAME YOUR OWN PRICE were there is a minimum (IE .20 FOR A SINGLE) but there is no max amount to pay. I feel it would help restore a little value back in our culture. It will also show respect and support for our artist who pay for beats studio time features etc.

So i guess i came to siccness to get your thoughts your opinions and find out wether or not you would actually be on board with this idea.

i think off top people would be hesitant to give up card info for 20-30-50 cents 1.00 even.

thats why bandcamp is so good . u give them your CC info and you can shop around the whole site. Now if you were to do it through your own site and only offer your catolog of music people might be a lil apprehensive. Basically what im saying is its not a bad idea(its already in use). my question to you is how do you propose you implement it?

Aug 13, 2009
Im down for this, I googled my self to see what would pop up, and found this Forum called "The Real Brown Pride" and they had my Compilation "No Suckas Volume 1" for free download there, and like 5 pages of people saying thanks for the free copy. Lol I said thanks for hearing my music but it also took away from my sales,,,,so im on board for that
That site got hella homeboy albums up for download....

Mr G

Drunk Pot-Head
Apr 4, 2007
Las Vegas
... I feel it would help restore a little value back in our culture. It will also show respect and support for our artist who pay for beats studio time features etc.....
I can appreciate where your coming from homie but i dont think we can restore anything in this forever evolving culture, only progress....

especially when all the pop acts are now on board with giving away free projects that are more entertaining than retail albums it can never be the way it used to be....

both the newest and PAID muthafuckers in "rap" wiz khalifa and yelawolf inked 6 figured major deals off of the strength and momentum of thier FREE cds..

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Yea you won't be able to get every person making music to agree to this. Even established artists and musicians from other genre's release free music. If you have trouble adapting to the market that causes, that on you. You can't expect everyone else to stop what they are doing because you don't like it.

Aug 13, 2009
I aint gonna lie, i download a few tracks here and then, but ONLY if the cd aint worth a buy.

I would rather bump a cd thats jammin than switch it out every other song.

Thats where CD-R mix tapes come in handy.

Dec 2, 2006
It can't be about the money, period. Let the hobbyists have their little fame, you have an artist capable of doing something on a whole different level. Crank out the singles until one catches on, Mr. Kee is too talented....

Jul 20, 2010
like i said i fully understand the concept and i put out free mr kee songs here an there that will continue to happen but mostly we will be shooting videos to everything

other genres dont have the same problems as hiphop their fans have no problem paying for music country artist still go platinum first week rock artist outsell hiphop by far

the idea is to have everyone to stop giving away so much music yes songs here and there i think fans should be willing to pay a lil something music is a business

Jul 20, 2010
and adapting to the new market we have had no problem mr kee has always been successful but if your an artist who feels like his music isnt worth .20 cents then they should go to work for a day an work for free

all im saying is artist should take pride in their work it wasnt free to make your music so a fan should have enuf respect to pay a lil something for it

Jul 20, 2010
yup to many rappers not enuf fans but i feel like if we all came together an did this it would weed out some of the people who shouldnt be rapping and radio play in the bay area shit u can buy a cool little used car for as much as you pay for a few spins

i never thought everyone would be on board with this idea i was tossing around a few ideas thats all

Dec 28, 2009
some people buy music and some people dont. free music is just promotion. longevity and consistency will seperate those who are serious and those who are not. i just do me and keep doing it. the more i do it the more money i make so why stop now?

i just laugh people who call themselves a rapper because theyre "working" on a cd or cause they always try to freestyle. you know the ones that think they bout to "blow up". telling me shit like i dont got no money for studio time or beats but you know imma break you off once i get a million. im like if you cant go out there and make your own million then who the fuck you think is gonna give you a million? p didy. lol.

i dont think there is too many rappers i think there are too many dumb ass lazy fuckers.