Questions about Portland?? Plz help

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 12, 2006
Whuz up yall, im a native of San Francisco, I think of myself as more from the City than SF just cuz I grew up in the southside and not the fruitcake shit downtown. Ive spent two years livin in Spokane, WA and have alot of love for the Pacific Northwest and surrounding areas. Beatiful land, coo people, decent bud. I just moved back to Frisco and although I love it, with housing prices and other bullshit im thinkn about gettin out of here and relocatin to Portland, OR or another city on the West Coast.
Im just looking for some general information of the city and what the different sides/sections look like. Id like to move into a relativly working class diverse section and I know the city is mostly white, whatever, so any information on chill neighborhoods or the mentality up there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

peace

Dec 12, 2006
Theres not that much other than cheaper housing, ive spent a little time in both, liked portland a little more. I lived in washington, like to give oregon a try. Also have no love for starbucks or the seahawks, but thats beside the point.

May 8, 2008
www.myspace.com
North and North East is the best bet, but compared to other cities portland is great as far as crime but you have some shady areas as well in north and northeast but like i said its nothing compared to a big city. Those two are the most diverse neighborhoods.

Dec 12, 2006
Good shit I appreciate the info, I aint one to glorify violence specially in the neighborhood, i just aint tryna live ina cookie cutter white ass section. Portland just seems like kinda slept on, and comin from Spokane I like a city with a urban setting with like a rural backdrop i think thats kinda dope

Apr 25, 2002
I'm frankly surprised you liked Spokane, that's good to hear. I'm not trying to disrespect Spokane, I actually love the Eastern side of WA state, absolutely love it, but I'm a little surprised someone from Frisco would be able to handle it well w/ the country backdrop, the really hard winters, and the whiteness in Spokane (not the rest of Eastern WA by any means, most of Eastern WA is like the Central Valley of CA half white half Mexican, technically it's actually less white than the western half of the state).

That really is good to hear you had a good time up there.

And if Spokane wasn't too white for you, then Portland will definitely not be too white for you, far more blacks and Asians in PO than Spokane, far more.

I can understand wanting to stay away from Seattle, they've got some huge problems up there that PO doesn't have to deal w/. And if you're from Frisco and therefore a 9er fan then it makes sense you wouldn't want to be anywhere near the team that's whooped that 9er ass 8 of the last 10 times.

Dec 12, 2006
I'm frankly surprised you liked Spokane, that's good to hear. I'm not trying to disrespect Spokane, I actually love the Eastern side of WA state, absolutely love it, but I'm a little surprised someone from Frisco would be able to handle it well w/ the country backdrop, the really hard winters, and the whiteness in Spokane (not the rest of Eastern WA by any means, most of Eastern WA is like the Central Valley of CA half white half Mexican, technically it's actually less white than the western half of the state).

That really is good to hear you had a good time up there.

And if Spokane wasn't too white for you, then Portland will definitely not be too white for you, far more blacks and Asians in PO than Spokane, far more.

I can understand wanting to stay away from Seattle, they've got some huge problems up there that PO doesn't have to deal w/. And if you're from Frisco and therefore a 9er fan then it makes sense you wouldn't want to be anywhere near the team that's whooped that 9er ass 8 of the last 10 times.
Haaaa, got jokes, got jokes

First of all Mike Homlgren is from San Francisco so you can thank your sucess to a bay area mind, as far as the seahawks go, you guys choose to loose in the superbowl, we handle the bizness 100% of the time so good luck with that and you can thank me for julian peterson at another date. Also ive heard that a seahawk is just a seagull with extreme ADD and a anger problem that shits everywhere, a 49er is an american pioneer, ballin so hard we shoot golden bullets to get scraggly ass birds outa the sky, but I am sorry to hear about the Sonics, I fuckn loved Gary Payton and Kemp as a kid, b4 kemp started hittin the coke and hookers

And I could be wrong about this, but seattle just seamed really spread out in the sense that hella people I met were from suburbs of seattle but not that many people lived in Seattle. I dunno, but yea I feel you Eastern WA and parts of Idaho are hella dope. I was workin as a onfoot salesman for one of those shady "companys" that walk the street bidness to bidness tryna sell shit and I went out some Indian Res in Idaho, shit was gutter/isolated but the area around it was amazing, some of the best drivin ive ever done.

Spokane was white as fuck but comin from the bay I cant tell you it was a different breed of white people, and comin out of a workn class neighborhood in that kinda setting, people were really just people to me. BUT FUCK THAT LAST WINTER, thats y im lookin at Portland im coo off that for a minute

Apr 25, 2002
Haaaa, got jokes, got jokes

First of all Mike Homlgren is from San Francisco so you can thank your sucess to a bay area mind, as far as the seahawks go, you guys choose to loose in the superbowl, we handle the bizness 100% of the time so good luck with that and you can thank me for julian peterson at another date. Also ive heard that a seahawk is just a seagull with extreme ADD and a anger problem that shits everywhere, a 49er is an american pioneer, ballin so hard we shoot golden bullets to get scraggly ass birds outa the sky, but I am sorry to hear about the Sonics, I fuckn loved Gary Payton and Kemp as a kid, b4 kemp started hittin the coke and hookers

And I could be wrong about this, but seattle just seamed really spread out in the sense that hella people I met were from suburbs of seattle but not that many people lived in Seattle. I dunno, but yea I feel you Eastern WA and parts of Idaho are hella dope. I was workin as a onfoot salesman for one of those shady "companys" that walk the street bidness to bidness tryna sell shit and I went out some Indian Res in Idaho, shit was gutter/isolated but the area around it was amazing, some of the best drivin ive ever done.

Spokane was white as fuck but comin from the bay I cant tell you it was a different breed of white people, and comin out of a workn class neighborhood in that kinda setting, people were really just people to me. BUT FUCK THAT LAST WINTER, thats y im lookin at Portland im coo off that for a minute
All on point there. We know where Holmgren comes from, we definitely thank you guys for that, what an incredible man. You guys need to thank us for Timmy Lincecum and Aaron Rowand though if you wanna play that game.

Dead on about the white folks in Spokane vs Frisco. Dave Chapelle's stand up in Frisco is all anybody needs to hear about that place, that guy's so smart. That and also the South Park episode making fun of San Francisco, sums it up pretty good. Bunch of wealthy white folks running around w/ a little halo over there head that they put up there themselves b/c of how "progressive" they are.

I prefer Yakima, the Tri-Cities and Walla Walla myself but respect Spokane. That's awesome you had a good time up there. The drive from Spokane to Walla Walla or form Walla Walla to the Tri Cities is some of the prettiest land in the entire world.

And on Portland, my knowledge is somewhat limited, but I believe Gresham is a pretty middle class suburb with a good deal of diversity, kind of like Seattle's Renton/Kent or San Francisco's Daly City or Oakland's Hayward. So technically it's suburban so it might not be the vibe you want, but I think it's the kind of place that can bring you some of the advantages of diversity but not necessarily the disadvantages. Portland people am I right on this one?

Jan 16, 2008
we have a NBA basketball team.......
lol...
And on Portland, my knowledge is somewhat limited, but I believe Gresham is a pretty middle class suburb with a good deal of diversity, kind of like Seattle's Renton/Kent or San Francisco's Daly City or Oakland's Hayward. So technically it's suburban so it might not be the vibe you want, but I think it's the kind of place that can bring you some of the advantages of diversity but not necessarily the disadvantages. Portland people am I right on this one?
I personally fuckin hate gresham...i've never lived there but from my experience it's mostly poor white/mexicans and meth heads...the white people there aren't the average though its like trailor park folk