Phonedog.com reviews Subjekt Tech N9ne Ruffian Headphones

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 4, 2006

If you are into listening to music on the go - which today's music-playing cell phones make it easy to be into - then you probably like a good set of earphones. Subjekt has entered the realm of unique, good-sounding 'phones with the Subjekt Ruffian Skull Earphones. Created by the rapper Tech N9ne, these earphones are one of a kind!

What's in the package?

* A unique coffin-shaped box
* The Tech N9ne inspired earphones with red and black twisted cord
* A soft little carrying bag with Tech N9ne's logo
* Small, medium, and large silicone caps for the earbuds (hey, everyone has different sized ears!)
* A booklet with information about your product

How are they?

Even though the Subjekt Ruffians are not, by far, my favorite pair of earphones, I would still recommend giving them a try. These are close to the best sounding earphones I have ever tried. For speakers so small, they certainly pack enough bass for a good kick in the ... rear. But not to worry, these bass-boosters do NOT overhwhelm the mids and lows – not even close! I was able to hear my music perfectly clear at less than half volume while outside in busy downtown San Francisco. Aside from sounding amazing, the Subjetks also turned heads and make people ask, “Where the h*ll did you get those?!” That's due entirely to their appearance.

These earphones are like nothing I've ever seen before. The earphones themselves are shaped like chrome skulls, and are larger than most earbuds out there. The audio cord is actually 2 cords, one red and one black, twisted and glued together to create an awesome two-colored twisty look. Tech N9ne himself says of the 'phones, “If you can't listen to my music live, then the next best thing is to put these Subjekt Ruffian headphones in your ears!” I can see why!

But it's not all good when it comes to the Ruffians. I can't imagine trying to get somewhere fast with these earphones in – they are just too heavy. This is due to the skull design on the earbuds. I don't know if I just have big ears or what, but they fell out of my ears every few minutes when walking down the street – this gets very frustrating if you like getting into your music and dancing to it. The other negative with the Ruffians is that cord. Though it's very sexy durable for a headphone cable, it's also impossible to keep untangled. Every time I pulled these things out of the included carry pouch I had to spend a few minutes untangling the cord. Not cool.

Still, for me the Subjekt Ruffians are worth the heaviness and tangle prone cord, as they're great sounding and totally unique-looking earphones at a decent price. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for some quality headphones.

Pricing and Specs

* $59.99 (Plus shipping and handling) - Subjekt.com
* Driver Unit: 10mm Neodymium Magnet
* Sensitivity: 103 dB/mW
* Freq Response: 20-20,000 Hz
* Impedance: 23 Ohms

Source: http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-...ubjekt-tech-n9ne-ruffian-skull-earphones.aspx

Nov 14, 2002
Can someone explain to me how Tech "created" these headphones? I'm not sure I understand that.

Did he design that mold?

It looks like I could "create" those headphones with some "custom headphone javascript" mixing and matching on just about any "custom" audio website.

"Uh, I'll take the generic skull mold, the twists in black and red, and the coffin case with a Strange vinyl on it".

Thank you for your order, please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.

I can't imagine trying to get somewhere fast with these earphones in – they are just too heavy.
Is this guy suggesting that these headphones inhibit fucking jogging? As if these headphones are so heavy that they're literally going to weigh you down as if you were carrying weights? LMFAO.

Mar 3, 2003
www.facebook.com
I'd like to get a pair, but like everyone else, it's that price. Granted, if these things last a couple years at least, and there's no probability of one of the earphones blowing out before then, maybe it's worth the price. Not digging the cord tangling problem though.