OG U.S. PRESS VS. OG EURO PRESS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 6, 2003
although I prefer the US pressings.....If the US and EU releases are identical and were released at the same time I have no probs buying a EU version for <$30 to a >$100 US release LOL. Which means that I'll get that EU version first and keep my eyes open for a cheap US release.

Buying EU versions can be hella funny too. Like the German version of Messy Marv's Messy situationz. It was released as "Messy Mary" haha.

May 25, 2005
good lookin out yall..

messy mary huh? lol thats a trip..

but yeah i have a euro version that i bought last year..i checked the barcode and shit and its the euro one released at the same time..i guess youd call it like i say "OG euro copy"
kinda pissed since it wasnt mentioned..but i still paid cheaper than all the other ones that were up at the time..so im not trippin..

Jan 6, 2003
Old thread but I was thinking of something...

Example: JVC FORCE's 1988 album Doin Damage was not released on CD until 1997. Before that the only US versions were vinyl (and tape?). This would mean that the OG versions were vinyl and tape. However, in europe CD releases were quite common even though they were not released on CD in the US. This is the case with this album. the album was released on CD on a German pressing in 1988. what is the correct terminology to describe this release?

first CD pressing? -most likely since I'd guess there was a lag time between US and German editions in 1988.

OG? -I'm not sure about that since the album was by a US group

Anyway, the 1997 CD version is the first US CD pressing of it, although it was released 9 years earlier in Europe.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
To be fair, the "V" on the original cover is quite close to a "Y"

So I can see how someone who never listened to it but was given the task of making a new cover could have gotten confused.

What I don't understand is why they felt compelled to change the cover in the first place...

P.S. I'm somewhat surprised some of these were released in Europe. They're not super-underground releases but they weren't on major labels either. Was there really enough of a market for them in Europe at the time? I was in Europe at that time but in a different part and nothing released independently in the US ever made its way to music stores there.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2003
To be fair, the "V" on the original cover is quite close to a "Y"

So I can see how someone who never listened to it but was given the task of making a new cover could have gotten confused.

What I don't understand is why they felt compelled to change the cover in the first place...

P.S. I'm somewhat surprised some of these were released in Europe. They're not super-underground releases but they weren't on major labels either. Was there really enough of a market for them in Europe at the time? I was in Europe at that time but in a different part and nothing released independently in the US ever made its way to music stores there.
You'd be surprised if you really knew how much west coast and southern rap that actually was available in Europe in the 90s. of course, most of them were US version available only through import but especially in Germany there were some labels that released their own pressings of west coast rap. If you've seen them on ebay or amazon, you can find Dre Dog and RBL Posse on German pressings but like the Messy Marv release they changed the cover. At least on the MM they used another picture from the initial cover art. On both Dre dog and RBL posse they totally changed the cover art to some very very bad alternatives, with skulls etc...

but Europe has been on west coast and southern rap for decades. I managed to get lots in local stores in Oslo, not to forget that post order companies had huge catalogues with import titles. this was back in the late 80s. the only challenge then was to actually get the information on the different new releases and artists, since european magazines avoided anything but eastcoast rap and LA/Compton rap. My tactic was to call the import companies with the credit lists on covers and ask "can you get any albums by... and.....?" It worked somehow. classic record digging by phone haha.

Props: ThaG
May 25, 2005
yeah, up in here in canada like 10 years ago i was surprised to find a whole lot of that underground chicano stuff (mr.shadow, knightowl, mr.lil one) in an actual retail chain store..so its a trip sometimes, you never know what youre gonna find and where..