Northwest Studios

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
Im curious how many Northwest artists use home studios versus going to a pro studio? Also what is your studio working with for recording? I have found that most of the people that I have spoken with say they use Cubase for recording their work I use that also but I am debating on if I should learn Pro Tools and if enough people around are dealing with Pro Tools it may be a good idea to learn it or just make the switch. What are you working with.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
A well rounded studio needs to work with both Pro Tools & Cubase, that is of course if he's trying to actually be an open to the public studio... Pirate Cubase and perfect it, then move to Pro Tools if you have to. Pro Tools ain't nothing special, trust me, I have both. I can make my mixes in Cubase sound like the Pro Tools ones very easily. The internal engines on how digital signals are processed are different, the Pro Tools mixes sound a little brighter, that's not a hard thing to "fix" in Cubase. Just add a little EQ on the master bus and all of a sudden they sound the same... The algorithms are getting better and better in both VST based and TDM based plug-ins... It doesn't really matter if they're run on the host or in a special box. With the new Dual core CPU's coming out, you will be able to run a Dual Core, Dual Processor Symetrical Multi-Processing machine and the host based plug-ins won't even be an issue anymore. If I had it to do all over again, I sure as shit wouldn't have invested in a Pro Tools TDM system. My signal chain was perfect to begin with, but I was heading towards the public studio and I HAD to have Pro Tools because I had to support the format, but now that I'm like fuck everyone else that ain't my clique it's not an issue cause the folks that I deal with mostly run Cubase and know how to use it better than anyone on the face of this planet. So it's basically all in what YOU NEED...

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
im good wit Cubase Ive been usin it almost a year now. Im thinkin bout lookin into 3sx but i can do what i gotta do in 2sx and i wanna learn pro tools for the exact reason u said u did to support other cats situations. im not lookin to record anyone in my spot just do skelton tracks and hit up an actual recording studio my shit is just for small projects that i can put together when im short on time and or funds plus its cheaper to do it this way then take it to the studio with most of the easy work done or atleast in my opinon it would be

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
Mr. Samos said:
If you don't know what you are doing, pay somebody who does. If you do know what you are doing, save your money.
u gotta learn sometime right but its not that i dont know what im doin exactly its that i just havent spent alot of time wit pro tools to really understand it

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
xabiton said:
u gotta learn sometime right but its not that i dont know what im doin exactly its that i just havent spent alot of time wit pro tools to really understand it
exactly... the interface is quite different... the workflow from SX to Pro Tools is like two different beasts all together... Honestly speaking I've gotten to love the Pro Tools way of mixing... although I think the editing window is a bit on the weak side, the mixer window is hella tight because the workflow is straight forward. I like both, but they produce the same quality results... although that's not typical, I spent a huge number on making my cubase system as good as the pro studios before I even bought pro tools... anyhoo... do what you need to. the cheapest way to learn pro tools is get an LE interface and roll with that.

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
^the m audio based version of pro tools isnt too expensive either i have one of their interfaces and im runnin that with the demo but havin issues wit it if i get it right ill cop kuz from what Ive read it basically is LE minus a few options here and there plus Ill be able to run midi thru my devices (I make beat via software) and an Mbox isnt so great for that and a digi card is alot more expensive then the software alone

Feb 4, 2004
For me its not so much the program that I am using granted I do own a Pro Tools TDM system as well but only because the commercial market wanted me to use it. I would suggest work with what is easily usable for you When I think about it, the way the industry is going its not gonna matter what program you use since everybody is switching to the broadcast wav file format. Shoot if you wanted you could record right into acid or vegas if your soundcard was good enough. Baisically I think people get wrapped up too much into the which program are you workin in business. If you can get down to business and get really good sounds out of Cubase then thats what you should use. Shit sometimes I wish I had my old school 4 track a radio shack microphone and some crappy headphones. I would make a hit record tommorrow lol.

By the way I am selling a pair of Mackie 624 studio monitors if anyone was interested.
http://www.mackie.com/products/hr624/index.html

hit me up at [email protected]

May 8, 2004
If you need a professional studio to record in hit up Asylum.
Have done Biz with , 151,Certified,C-Bo,KillaTay,Yuk,BallinA$$Dame,CoolNuttz,Bosko,Loco,Kurupt,MessyMarv,Num,BigHollis,YoungRidah,a few more.
2 book sessions or info e-mail, [email protected] or hit up 253-224-8530, if no answer hit up 253 203-5373

Recording Equip.
Mac, ProTools , Mackie D8B, A-Dat 32 Track, Nueman U87 , Avalon,
Keyboards.
Tritan,Tritan Extreme, Motif Ex6, Roland phantom color screen, Akai MPC 4000, a few more i cant remember.
Engineering.
In House Prod. Big Squeeze,151.