Music Business Contracts/Liscenses???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 2, 2004
If I'm buying an instrumental from someone what legal contracts/liscenses do I need to assure that I'm buying original work and that I have full ownership of the beat once my money is handed over...what should be included in the contract??? I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some useful feedback!!!

Apr 25, 2002
If I'm buying an instrumental from someone what legal contracts/liscenses do I need to assure that I'm buying original work and that I have full ownership of the beat once my money is handed over...what should be included in the contract??? I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some useful feedback!!!
Just include exactly what you've said you want.. The seller has composed an original work of which all ownership and rights are transferred to you upon payment of $X USD. You could also go the work-for-hire route if you want.

Contracts don't have to be complicated or real technical a lot of the time. Just figure out what your agreement is with dude and transfer what you say into words on paper. If you want a real contract to look at as an outline, I'm sure there's a zillion online via google'ing.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Just include exactly what you've said you want.. The seller has composed an original work of which all ownership and rights are transferred to you upon payment of $X USD. You could also go the work-for-hire route if you want.

Contracts don't have to be complicated or real technical a lot of the time. Just figure out what your agreement is with dude and transfer what you say into words on paper. If you want a real contract to look at as an outline, I'm sure there's a zillion online via google'ing.
Exactly.

You don't need a crazy ass contract for stuff like this. Hell, you can write it on toilet paper if you want. All the agreement needs to say is who the seller is, who the buyer is, how much is being paid, a statement that the seller has legal standing to sell the beat (i.e. HE made it) and that exclusive ownership is being transferred to you. Put 3 signature lines on it, take a witness with you to sign after the two of you sign so legal execution of the agreement is not questioned leter (Not required, but definitely recommended).