MPC demonstration or tutorial videos

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
anyone got a link or something? I wanna see how these things operate before i get one. There isn't alot of stores near by that sell them and the places i've been that do never have them rigged up to anything. Anything that shows a beginner to that system works would be great, i searched the web with no luck.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
jayda650 said:
anyone got a link or something? I wanna see how these things operate before i get one. There isn't alot of stores near by that sell them and the places i've been that do never have them rigged up to anything. Anything that shows a beginner to that system works would be great, i searched the web with no luck.
Just buy one....buy at least the 2000xl(1000 has less feats) Ive never heard of anyone who bought an mpc and was disappointed,there are quite a few who dont have them and wanna tell ya buy something else like reason and those type of programs. Im sure youtube has people using there mpc.If you are new to makin beats,and aint sure you are good at it and wanna give making beats a try then you could very well be disappointed....Its not gonna make you a better musician...however if you can make instrumentals and buy one ,you will most likely hold on to it.Try www.mpc-tutor.com

Apr 25, 2002
Depending on what you've already got, adding an MPC may not add the ability to do anything you can't do already. It should be understood that an MPC is nothing more than a sampling drum machine with a built-in midi sequencer. That means the only way you're going to get sound out of it is by sampling or loading sounds into it. Or unless you connect other gear like synth modules, keyboards, etc to it via midi.

If you plan on doing a lot of sampling then an MPC might be a good option for you, otherwise you might want to consider a synth/workstation since they have a lot more to offer.

Also, if you do intend on doing a lot of sampling, look into the MPC-4000 instead.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'm looking at the 2500, the 4000 is way out of my price range. I don't have alot of gear but I'm not new to recording or making beats. I just want some hardware that isn't a rinky dink toy, actually if they made a pad controller that wasn't made out of plastic I wouldn't care about the ins/outs or the sequencer on the MPC. I might just get a multi I/O midi interface and a nice audio interface and a daw since its all gonna go in there anyway and i can do the same thing for less money.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
yeah hersey you are probably right, I've been seeing some legacy modules on Ebay I've been wanting to swoop up. A couple of those and DAW I think I'll be better off. Those MPCs are sure nice to look at and bang on though.

Hersey how are the audio editing features on pro tools 7? Their midi routing looks alot better, i had a dude show me how it runs and its just like a plug in. real simple and to the point. I'll probably go that route

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
jayda650 said:
yeah hersey you are probably right, I've been seeing some legacy modules on Ebay I've been wanting to swoop up. A couple of those and DAW I think I'll be better off. Those MPCs are sure nice to look at and bang on though.

Hersey how are the audio editing features on pro tools 7? Their midi routing looks alot better, i had a dude show me how it runs and its just like a plug in. real simple and to the point. I'll probably go that route
what kind of beats you gonna make when your computer has a virus? I guess if its just a hobby,the pressure is off,you can go weeks without makin beats or pulling old ones up to sell

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
They improved it, and I just got my hands on XPAND so, I'll probably install that later on this week. You can run your VST stuff through INSTRUMENT TRACKS, so its really no need to use midi for that. The only complaint I have now is the mix and edit window looks cluttered (because of the new color coding system), and I have to update a gangload of plugins. The 48 track version of PTLE is already out (up to 48 mono or 48 stereo), so I'll probably build a new system soon.

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2006/Digidesign-Music-Production-Toolkit-Ships.html

I suggest you get a workstation and use that. All of the workstations out now pretty much sample, and if you need pads the fantom has one.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
My computer isn't even hooked to the net I have 2. Its been awhile since I was doing my music thing but I'm a little more than a hobbyist, a actually know what is what. The world is leaning to the software side of things, its cheaper and just as efficient it doesn't make me less adament about doing what I do.

I already have a pad controller but i'm just not very happy about the quality of the ones on the market and the pad assignment software doesn't really work for the one I have. I'd probably be better off without an MPC cuz I just want the feel of their pads and thats a shit load of money to pay for a drum machine with a sequencer/sampler which i can get with software.

It was a matter of time before this turned into a hardware v software debate but its cool I'm still in the debating process and will have hardware like sound modules and shit regardless on if i get the MPC or not. It s awfully tempting but its also alot of money

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
jayda650 said:
My computer isn't even hooked to the net I have 2. Its been awhile since I was doing my music thing but I'm a little more than a hobbyist, a actually know what is what. The world is leaning to the software side of things, its cheaper and just as efficient it doesn't make me less adament about doing what I do.

I already have a pad controller but i'm just not very happy about the quality of the ones on the market and the pad assignment software doesn't really work for the one I have. I'd probably be better off without an MPC cuz I just want the feel of their pads and thats a shit load of money to pay for a drum machine with a sequencer/sampler which i can get with software.

It was a matter of time before this turned into a hardware v software debate but its cool I'm still in the debating process and will have hardware like sound modules and shit regardless on if i get the MPC or not. It s awfully tempting but its also alot of money
one last time the mpc is not good because of the pads,and just cause you go software doesnt mean its gonna be cheap...I mean there are some pretty cheap programs,but there are also some very expensive ones as well,Im saying you should really think about this,and In my humble opinion the siccness is not a good primary source for information(there are some who do know what they are talking about,but hey get a few opinions) here are a few links to check out reader reviews and ask some questions relating to mpc

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/cfman.cfm?manid=6

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Akai/

http://www.mpc-forums.com/

on harmony central they have some forums as well,but Im just trying to show you the real value of an mpc is not the pads at all...I personally like reader reviews cause it usually isnt hype that the company is pushing,and some people leave alot of good information.

Im not anti software,I just know that my personal tastes to make my computer set-up to not lack features I have or might possibly need would take alot of money.....again It depends what you are really trying to do,My boy slikk rikk has been using those boss drum machines and a k2000 keyboard and records vocals on a korg d8 and he has an incredible sound from what some may feel is limiting,
sometimes you have to plan ahead for obstacles that may arise that may end up costing more money down the road,also what if your system goes down or...even if it is stable what about when you start running all these programs,and plug-ins,computers have come a long way ,I was actually leaning on going the software route in 97-98
are you just making beats?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
If you only want the mpc because of the pads you are throwing away money. Base your purchase on YOUR work flow. If you don't sample and don't have any modules or boards to connect to the mpc what good is it?

Besides the pads what can the mpc offer you that a workstation or properly built computer can't? Portability/small size. If you go by SPECS the mpc gets blown out of the water every single time. If you go by price the shits about the same across the board (maybe even lower for a computer used just for sampling), and personally, I prefer to look at a sony LCD instead of the mpc's small lcd screen.

A lot of cats that use the mpc (Im talking about the old heads) do so because that was the first piece of gear they OWNED or LEARNED to use. They became comfortable using it and they know how to get around the machine. Did a lot of these cats have access to Giga, pro tools, reason, cubase, acid etc etc etc when they started out? No. Bottom line is what worked for them and their workflow may not be what is required for YOUR workflow, and your workflow should determine your purchase.