More Staff Leave Infinity Ward (COD)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 3, 2002
April 14, 2010 -

Developer Infinity Ward continues to see team members leave the studio.

Long-time programmer Jon Shiring confirmed to IGN he has resigned from his position at the studio. Shiring made his initial announcement through his Twitter account. Shiring did not give a reason for his resignation or where he'll end up next.

"I'm not trying to create spectacle, I just wanted to avoid the LinkedIn nonsense," he told IGN. "No announcements other than that one." Shiring spent close to six years at Infinity Ward, working on both Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2.

Senior Animator Bruce Ferriz confirmed to IGN he, too, left the studio this month and has now joined Santa Monica-based developer Big Red Button Entertainment. He is currently working on an unannounced project. Ferriz spent just over one year at Infinity Ward.

Lastly, Modern Warfare 2 lead designer Mackey McCandlish has also left Infinity Ward. McCandlish had been with the studio since 2002. McCandlish confirmed his departure on his Twitter account.

Earlier this month, Infinity Ward veterans Todd Alderman and Francesco Gigliotti also revealed through LinkedIn the two had left the studio.

In March, Infinity Ward co-founders Vince Zampella and Jason West were fired by publisher Activision. The two announced this morning plans to open a new studio called Respawn Entertainment and signed a new publishing deal with rival Electronic Arts.

Update: Additional Infinity Ward employees have now left the studio. Lead Designers Steve Fukuda and Zied Reike are no longer employees, Kotaku reports. Programmer Rayme Vinson and lead artist Chris Cherubini have also now left. Cherubini confirmed he has resigned from his position.

Update 2: Two more veteran Infinity Ward employees have now left. Lead Animator Mark Grigsby and Lead Character Animator John Paul Messerly updated their LinkedIn profile accounts today showing they are no longer with the company. Grigsby spent just over five years at Infinity Ward while Messerly was with the group for over eight years.

The total number of employees that have left Infinity Ward since March, including West and Zampella who were fired, is now at 13.

Damn, Activison is making everyone at IW leave.. I think the Call of Duty series is going to only get worse. :mad: I think a lot of the arcadish features were demanded by Activison so that more people wanna play it.. now Activision is talking about making a COD subscription based game.. damn. Activision milked the Guitar Hero series until it really died down. Guess COD is next, since 3 different companies are making COD games now.

May 3, 2002
April 15, 2010 - Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick is pleased with the company's start to 2010.

Due to strong sales of World of Warcraft and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the company said it's tracking ahead of its prior outlook of $1.1 billion revenue. Kotick said sales of the Stimulus Package, which sold 2.5 million downloads in its first week, gave a nice boost to its bottom line.

"We benefited from the record breaking launch of the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 map pack, which was previously expected to launch in the June quarter," said Kotick. "Additionally, certain operating expenses previously planned for the March quarter will now be incurred in the June quarter."

"It is always helpful to begin a year with great momentum; however, we remain cautious about the economy and consumer spending and the fact that the majority of our games are not expected to launch until the fall," Kotick added.

Activision Blizzard expects to announce its March quarter 2010 financial results on May 6, 2010.
" however, we remain cautious about the economy and consumer spending "

HA! such a lie. The pack wouldn't have been $15 if that were true.

May 3, 2002
Interesting:

Ex-Infinity Ward Heads Join EA
Zampella and West form Respawn Entertainment.

April 12, 2010 - Vince Zampella and Jason West, the two former heads of Infinity Ward who have been recently embroiled in an increasingly bitter lawsuit with Activision, have joined EA to form an all-new outfit named Respawn Entertainment.

It marks a homecoming of sorts – both Zampella and West worked on Medal of Honour before going on to help found the hugely successful Call of Duty series. Both left Activision in March, and legal proceedings between the two have quickly heated up.

EA has yet to announce what Respawn Entertainment will be working on – though seeing as the press release includes a plea for new staff, a reveal looks like it will be some way off.

"For the past decade we led a great development team and poured our hearts into creating an epic game franchise," said Zampella, who will act as the General Manager of the new studio which will be based in Encino, California. "We're very proud of what we built – and proud that so many millions of fans enjoyed those games. Today we hope to do it all over again — open a new studio, hire a great team, and create brand new games with a new partner, EA."

West celebrated the news with a none-too-subtle dig at his former paymasters. "We're excited," he said, "Now that the team is in control of the games and brands, we can ensure that the fans are treated as well as they deserve."

President of EA's Games Label was equally excited, saying "Jason and Vince are two of the top creative leaders in the entertainment industry. At EA, we're honored to be their partners and to give them the support they need to hire a team and return to making incredible games."

May 3, 2002
wow, looks like i havent been caught up on news.. just read this!

Infinity Ward Founders Developing A 'Big Blockbuster'
Jason West and Vince Zampella discuss their new EA publishing deal with IGN.

April 12, 2010 - Infinity Ward founders and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare designers Jason West and Vince Zampella announced this morning the formation of Respawn Entertainment, an independent studio that will develop games under the EA Partners program.

In an interview with IGN, West and Zampella discussed their new publishing deal with Electronic Arts, their desire to have control over their franchises, and making sure to not forget about the fans of their games.

While details on the team's direction are slim, Respawn Entertainment's first project could rival that of Call of Duty in terms of budget size and marketing blitz.

"It's going to be a big blockbuster; we know what we want to do in terms of scope and impact," West told IGN. "In terms of the game itself, it's entirely up in the air. The sky's the limit and we're focusing on hiring as a team right now."

The day after West and Zampella were fired from Activision the two received offers from just about every gaming publisher. West said the EA Partners program offered the best and most creative deal.

"We talked to all the major publishers and we were presented with deals," added West. "It really comes down to who's going to respect our culture, give us the freedom to do what we want to do, and let us own the IP so we can assure quality, and EA Partners did that for us."

Zampella said that while he and West were let go from Activision only a month ago, the two didn't feel they needed to take an extended vacation before getting back into game development.

"Gaming is in our blood. It's what we like to do," said Zampella. "We don't want to sit around idle. For us it was exciting to get back to doing what we love. It was necessary for us to do that. There's a lot to do and we're just starting today. We still don't have an office space or health plans. We don't have anything right now."

But while West and Zampella are in some ways under the EA corporate umbrella, that doesn't mean they'll have an influence on other EA titles, such as Battlefield or Medal of Honor.

"The EA Partners program allows the independent developers to remain completely independent. We integrate as closely as they would like," said David DeMartini, Senior Vice President & Global GM of EA Partners. "It's not really part of the program that all of a sudden outside independents are advising internal teams."

"We're really delighted with the quality of the games we released last year in our internal teams, but we're equally delighted with Respawn Entertainment and the new team they're going to be building starting today."

DeMartini added this deal could signal a major change in the developer/publisher relationship going forward. The old model of publishers owning top-tier developers and its gaming properties may be going away.

"I think that really is old-school thought process, that publishers are going to come in and own the IP and control the developer," he said. "The EA Partners program has been thriving over the last three years as we have taken a more progressive and realistic approach."

"When you hire the best in the industry, the best in the industry want to control their own destiny, and I think that's what this deal is really all about. Hopefully that's why the EA Partners program was attractive to the guys starting up Respawn, and hopefully it will be attractive to others in the future," DeMartini added.

West, however, was a little more straight-forward with his prediction of developers remaining independent.

"If publishers keep firing the heads of their top franchises, this will become a bigger trend in the future."

Those looking forward to what Respawn has in store can be assured the team is focusing on listening and delivering what fans want.

"We expect that to be a big part of our direction for sure," said West. "It's all about the fans and giving the fans what they want and giving them compelling entertainment experiences that they're going to love."

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
Honestly its all he said she said to me, I wanst there I dont know what really went down none of us do, all I know is the MW2 is garbage compared to MW and ruined the experience for me.

Apr 19, 2008
the gamefly app for the iphone/ipod keeps my ass up to date with all this gaming news. yall should fuck with it

May 3, 2002
fuck infinity ward they never fix shit and rip people off all they want is there money they dont give a shit bout the gamers

I think its more to it then IW. Did we have these problems/feelings towards them with Call of Duty 4?? no.. they really did a good job with that.. Gave us a beta, had a pretty much glitch free game. Then they sign with Activison and everything fucks up.. No beta, no support, glitches like crazy, fourzerotwo stops posting info.

I think this is one of the main fags to blame, money hungry son of a bitch ass, Bobby Kotick, is the CEO, president, and board member for Activision Blizzard..

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
I think its more to it then IW. Did we have these problems/feelings towards them with Call of Duty 4?? no.. they really did a good job with that.. Gave us a beta, had a pretty much glitch free game. Then they sign with Activison and everything fucks up.. No beta, no support, glitches like crazy, fourzerotwo stops posting info.

I think this is one of the main fags to blame, money hungry son of a bitch ass, Bobby Kotick, is the CEO, president, and board member for Activision Blizzard..
there were a couple glitches IW never fixed on cod 4 overgrown one and a couple others i cant remember

Mar 18, 2003
Removing the party chat make me have to mute everyone. Thats sounds like 7 year old.. Pluss the game less gorey than World at War...shit If trearch removes the party chat option im not buying it

Dec 4, 2004
WOW....well every franchise has it's time to shine. Maybe Battlefield:BC will be the next big console franchise in the 1st person world....or Medal of Honor maybe step back up and take the throne...either way I could care less I just hope it sparks good games.