Monta Ellis Article

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
Ellis' defense draws praise

By Todd Kelly
[email protected]

Update

Ellis' stats in 5 summer league games

16 ppg

3 rpg

3 apg

Of note: Coaches praised Ellis' defense

Monta Ellis scored more points for Lanier than any player in the talent-rich history of Jackson Public Schools basketball.

So what's the first thing his coaches talk about after Ellis completed the five-game schedule last week for Golden State's entry in the Vegas Summer League in Nevada? Uh, defense?

"Monta was a lot better defender than I thought he'd be," Warriors assistant Russell Turner said. "He was really impressive defensively. He went against Sebastian Telfair (of Portland), who's one of the fastest and quickest guys in the NBA, and did a good job in his first game. We put him on Luke Jackson (of Cleveland), a big perimeter player who was the 10th pick in the draft last year. Monta completely shut him out."

His strong showing on defense helped create a positive first impression for Ellis, who the Warriors drafted in the second round with the 40th overall pick last month. Unlike first-round picks, Ellis — who passed on a chance to play for Mississippi State to enter the draft — won't receive a guaranteed two-year deal worth at least $2 million.

The early returns, however, suggest Ellis will be picking up an NBA paycheck next season in Oakland, Calif.

Janny Hu, who covers the Warriors for the San Francisco Chronicle, said Ellis was the team's most exciting player in the summer league, which is primarily for second-year NBA players and rookies as well as free agents hoping to earn an invitation to preseason camp in October.

Ellis, a 6-foot-3, 180-pound guard, averaged 16 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists and a team-high 31 minutes while shooting 39 percent from the floor.

"There was a lot of buzz about Monta in Las Vegas," Turner said. "He made a great impression on us in a lot of different ways. He's fearless, completely unafraid. He's at a position in point guard where you're going to get smoked a few times, but he handled it well.

"We all thought Monta would jump up and make more shots than he did, but it will just be a little more time for that. He was smart. A lot of players making the transition from college or another level of basketball can't really understand all of the situations we go through so quickly, (like) calling out switches on a pick and roll. Monta did it. That's a little thing, but it's a big deal in terms of figuring out whether or not a guy is going to be able to adapt quickly to the NBA."

Ellis appears to have put any draft night disappointment in his rearview mirror. He also said he has no plans to replace his agent, Andy Miller of New Jersey.

"Not happening," said Ellis, who is slated to return to the Bay Area next month to continue his strength training and rehabilitation from minor knee surgery in April.

"I don't look back at the draft," Ellis said. "I put it all behind me. Once it happened, it happened. That's all in the past. I know I could have been a first-round pick. This is really a chance for me to prove a point.

"(Warriors vice-president and general manager) Chris Mullin told us at the press conference the day after the draft that we (Golden State's rookies) will have all the opportunity in the world to make the team."

Turner offered a similar view as the NBA works to straighten out the logistics of the association's relationship with an expanded developmental league. Second-year players and rookies can be sent to the NBDL, a.k.a the "D League," for seasoning. Their salaries will be unaffected by the demotion.

"That's not something I can say for sure right now," Turner said. "I think everybody here expects Monta to be able to help us at some point next year with what we've seen from him so far. At what point he'll be able to make the transition from a talented kid who's learning to a talented kid who can help us in games, I don't think anybody can say. But I think he showed every sign that it will happen sometime within a year or two years.

"Monta seems to have the type of attitude to allow him to be successful. He showed all the things you're hoping to see from a kid like him. He's still got a long way to go, but I think he knows that — which is one of the best signs about how he's been so far. He's got a level head. I don't think he's going to be overwhelmed at all."